Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlefields, War Eagle, Candiman Et Al (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254031)

Jenx34 04-25-2018 05:39 PM

'56 Mantle PSA 7 - Paid $2,050 - Same lexus1584 ID
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-topps-...p2047675.l2557

Peter_Spaeth 04-25-2018 05:44 PM

Shows as relisted.

bobbyw8469 04-25-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1770679)
Shows as relisted.

Yea...very odd....the winning bidder never paid....they jacked it up to a super high price with no bites....now it's in Candiman's auction.

Peter_Spaeth 04-25-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1770687)
Yea...very odd....the winning bidder never paid....they jacked it up to a super high price with no bites....now it's in Candiman's auction.

But Candi was the winning bidder.

hcv123 04-26-2018 05:56 AM

Possible reason for this......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1770697)
But Candi was the winning bidder.

With many people using VCP and the new psa auction tool - if eBay auctions close with artificially inflated prices it could make it look like the price for any particular card is skewing up and "encourage" a current bidder to consider bidding more than they otherwise would.

ullmandds 04-26-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1770784)
With many people using VCP and the new psa auction tool - if eBay auctions close with artificially inflated prices it could make it look like the price for any particular card is skewing up and "encourage" a current bidder to consider bidding more than they otherwise would.

Nothing new here...this is exactly what happened when the manipulators drove up the prices of high grade rookies 1-2 years ago.

bobbyw8469 04-26-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1770790)
Nothing new here...this is exactly what happened when the manipulators drove up the prices of high grade rookies 1-2 years ago.

....which some cards still haven't come down from....some have....but Clemente stayed up there.

ullmandds 04-26-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1770796)
....which some cards still haven't come down from....some have....but Clemente stayed up there.

not as sky high...but yes...the manipulators succeeded!

bnorth 04-26-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1770797)
not as sky high...but yes...the manipulators succeeded!

They usually do because of the large amount of collectors who only care about the stuff. It is happening all the time, a few sellers rely on it.

This last manipulation on high end cards was huge though. Usually it is just a specific card or a specific feature like centering or sharp corners.

Peter_Spaeth 04-27-2018 12:54 PM

NM
return
EX
and from here?

http://candimanauctions.com/Jackie_R..._-LOT3659.aspx

bobbyw8469 04-27-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1771120)

The scan I saw from the buyer looked like it was a VG card.

Peter_Spaeth 04-27-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1771122)
The scan I saw from the buyer looked like it was a VG card.

Third auction.

cardcountry 04-28-2018 03:26 AM

My experience:

I tend to try to see the good in people, and try to give the benefit of the doubt, so given the situation that Daniel presented in the other thread, I decided to give him a chance. I did not want to be reckless or foolish, so I planned to bid on 1 card at a price point of a couple hundred dollars as a "test". My assumption was that it would probably grade a point or so lower than the stated grade, and that I would probably lose a little but not much of my investment. The card I won was listed as NMMT.
Here is the sequence of events that I experienced:

3/11: received my invoice
3/16: check marked received on the website
3/28: Still no tracking # sent and no card received. I emailed Daniel, and he replied that he would have tracking the next day
3/29: Tracking # received
4/08: received the card (I had been out of town, so I'm not sure what day it actually arrived)

Upon opening the package, I immediately noticed 2 major flaws in the card- wax staining on the front, and a large bend that was both visible and palpable. These issues were not minor. They didn't require a loop, good lighting, or a magnifying glass, and are the kind of flaws that should have been readily obvious to the person assigning the grade. Instead of NMMT, this card would be probably a 3 or 3.5(st)

4/08- I emailed Daniel with my concern, and asked for how he would like to proceed
4/09- I received an email from Daniel asking me to send pictures, as he didn't recall such flaws in the card
4/09- I sent pictures

4/16- Still no reply from Daniel, so I emailed him again stating that I sent the pics but never heard back

4/28- I still haven't heard back. At this point, I've just counted this as a total loss and am moving on. I just wanted to share this experience, and hope that others have better experiences than I did. Despite the negative outcome, I don't regret giving him the chance-- I don't regret trying to see the good. However, because of this experience I will not be bidding in anymore of their auctions.

Jeff

bobbyw8469 04-28-2018 04:30 AM

Thank you for sharing Jeff. Your experience is typical of the various stunts I have seen that these hooligans pull (not counting in-house shill bidding which was MY personal experience with these guys). Unfortunately, in this hobby we all know and love, the different between a NM/MT and a VG card is OBSCENELY HUGE. These scoundrels prey on that monetary difference, and prey on people's greed. In my opinion, there is no place for these guys in the hobby, but apparently they are here to stay in one form or another. The best we can do is educate one another and not deal with them.

Batpig 04-28-2018 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardcountry (Post 1771261)
My experience:

I tend to try to see the good in people, and try to give the benefit of the doubt, so given the situation that Daniel presented in the other thread, I decided to give him a chance. I did not want to be reckless or foolish, so I planned to bid on 1 card at a price point of a couple hundred dollars as a "test". My assumption was that it would probably grade a point or so lower than the stated grade, and that I would probably lose a little but not much of my investment. The card I won was listed as NMMT.
Here is the sequence of events that I experienced:

3/11: received my invoice
3/16: check marked received on the website
3/28: Still no tracking # sent and no card received. I emailed Daniel, and he replied that he would have tracking the next day
3/29: Tracking # received
4/08: received the card (I had been out of town, so I'm not sure what day it actually arrived)

Upon opening the package, I immediately noticed 2 major flaws in the card- wax staining on the front, and a large bend that was both visible and palpable. These issues were not minor. They didn't require a loop, good lighting, or a magnifying glass, and are the kind of flaws that should have been readily obvious to the person assigning the grade. Instead of NMMT, this card would be probably a 3 or 3.5(st)

4/08- I emailed Daniel with my concern, and asked for how he would like to proceed
4/09- I received an email from Daniel asking me to send pictures, as he didn't recall such flaws in the card
4/09- I sent pictures

4/16- Still no reply from Daniel, so I emailed him again stating that I sent the pics but never heard back

4/28- I still haven't heard back. At this point, I've just counted this as a total loss and am moving on. I just wanted to share this experience, and hope that others have better experiences than I did. Despite the negative outcome, I don't regret giving him the chance-- I don't regret trying to see the good. However, because of this experience I will not be bidding in anymore of their auctions.

Jeff

Thanks for the update, Jeff. Would you say the listing pic was photoshopped as well?

Peter_Spaeth 04-28-2018 08:01 AM

If the brothers ever show up here again, and I think it's increasingly unlikely, they've got some explaining to do.

I suspect there are others with stories similar to Ed's and Jeff's and that these are not aberrations.

mantlefan 04-28-2018 08:06 PM

Fair warning

Can't say that Peter wasn't spot on from the beginning.

Peter_Spaeth 04-28-2018 10:34 PM

Frank, appreciate the kind words but quite a few folks raised concerns from the outset, not just me.

frankbmd 04-28-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1771493)
Frank, appreciate the kind words but quite a few folks raised concerns from the outset, not just me.

Thanks for being frank with Frank, Frank.

Yoda 04-29-2018 12:04 PM

What gets me is the sanctimonious come on to Net54 members that they wished to make amends for the larcenous deeds of their felonious parents and, guess what, they going to do it by running auctions of baseball cards in a clean orderly fashion. Right, of course.
I am sure there is long tradition of "second chance" in America, just ask Bill Clinton, so I confess I listened and thought; give them a chance, see what happens in their auction and its' aftermath, never actually intending to bid.
I wonder now at last if the Battle clan will finally fold their tent and ride off to the Badlands.

frankbmd 04-29-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1771616)
What gets me is the sanctimonious come on to Net54 members that they wished to make amends for the larcenous deeds of their felonious parents and, guess what, they going to do it by running auctions of baseball cards in a clean orderly fashion. Right, of course.
I am sure there is long tradition of "second chance" in America, just ask Bill Clinton, so I confess I listened and thought; give them a chance, see what happens in their auction and its' aftermath, never actually intending to bid.
I wonder now at last if the Battle clan will finally fold their tent and ride off to the Badlands.

Mentioned before, but the Candimen could be their own parents.:eek:

With all the holes in their various back stories, how is one to know the size of their army on the cardboard battlefield. Candiman et al could be a solo operation or a family reunion or simply the gang that couldn’t shoot straight from Dothan (or Little Rock, or Houston, or Montgomery).

Peter_Spaeth 04-29-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1771616)

To me that was a red flag right off the bat -- I mean whatever you thought of your parents, would you really trash them on a public forum? It seemed so calculated and cynical.

npa589 04-29-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1771652)
Mentioned before, but the Candimen could be their own parents.:eek:

This. I honestly never believed it was anyone different than themselves. They were probably just smart enough to know that it will look like it was their parents, because they were in high school when they started. I've seen or read nothing to dissuade me of that belief. It was as simple as them not being able to use PayPal because of their many shenanigans, and having to find a new space to sell their inventory.

mantlefan 04-29-2018 10:01 PM

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1771500)
Thanks for being frank with Frank, Frank.

Frank, I'm always frank, being Frank that is. So Frank, thanks. Frank.

Candi-fields-batlle-man, frankly, have never been frank with us like Frank and Frank have. Frankly, Frank, we should do our best to show them that they have no place in this Hobby. And I say that very frankly, Frank. Best, Frank.

Peter_Spaeth 04-30-2018 09:40 AM

You guys should stick to medicine and leave humor to the rest of us.:)

TheNightmanCometh 04-30-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1771710)
To me that was a red flag right off the bat -- I mean whatever you thought of your parents, would you really trash them on a public forum? It seemed so calculated and cynical.

Based on their history, and what we've just witnessed in their first auction, I am not surprised they'd trash their parents on a public forum. They seem like textbook sociopaths, who would throw their own grandmother under the bus if it helped them make a buck.

frankbmd 04-30-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1771853)

Out of order and overruled.:D

Batpig 04-30-2018 02:49 PM

I'm not even sure the brothers are both involved. I could be wrong, but I suspect this may all be Daniel. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents have no idea about any of this.

mantlefan 04-30-2018 07:48 PM

Medicine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1771853)

Peter, the way things are going right now in medicine, we need a good laugh.

rlorenz 05-11-2018 12:33 PM

Apparently they have yet another ebay user name.... siayuotlluf_2

I am waiting the 2 cards i got...nothing big two 59 commens they appear to be in good condition...but i figured i would add yet another user name to their thread. Candiman was the shipped from bama... etc..etc

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2018 12:45 PM

Anaheim this time instead of Little Rock is listed as the location of the cards. Another "friend" perhaps.

rlorenz 05-11-2018 12:50 PM

To provide some clarity.

I do not have an issue....with them...I had a bad experience with Battlefield but it was just one experience...did not cost me a crap ton..... but I just like to keep this forum updated...

Yes do have tracking and payment Info...it all points to being Candiman... it shows the label was created in Cali....shipped from Bama the same locations...I don't want to provide the tracking number..but it was shipped quickly. That is not to say this is a bad thing.. And they don't take payment...the UserID was Created in Feb. If there is anything else i can provide I would be happy to help.... I can provide the return address when i get it on monday.

May 10, 2018, 7:18 pm
Accepted at USPS Regional Facility
MONTGOMERY AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 10, 2018, 3:46 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92802

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlorenz (Post 1775715)
To provide some clarity.

I do not have an issue....with them...I had a bad experience with Battlefield but it was just one experience...did not cost me a crap ton..... but I just like to keep this forum updated...

Yes do have tracking and payment Info...it all points to being Candiman... it shows the label was created in Cali....shipped from Bama the same locations...I don't want to provide the tracking number..but it was shipped quickly. That is not to say this is a bad thing.. And they don't take payment...the UserID was Created in Feb. If there is anything else i can provide I would be happy to help.... I can provide the return address when i get it on monday.

ANAHEIM, CA 92802

Thank you for posting that. Hysterical. Uh, Daniel, care to explain? Every time you cut one of these guys' heads off they grow two more it seems.

Batpig 05-11-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlorenz (Post 1775715)
To provide some clarity.

ANAHEIM, CA 92802

Where are you located (roughly)? Daniel is guilty of far worse, but I've suspected for awhile that they get lower shipping rates by using ship from zip codes closer to the location. Actually, maybe I shouldn't say he's guilty of worse, since it's possible this is considered mail fraud. Maybe the lawyers can chime in on that.

Peter_Spaeth 05-11-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batpig (Post 1775727)
Where are you located (roughly)? Daniel is guilty of far worse, but I've suspected for awhile that they get lower shipping rates by using ship from zip codes closer to the location. Actually, maybe I shouldn't say he's guilty of worse, since it's possible this is considered mail fraud. Maybe the lawyers can chime in on that.

I think they just use a different location than Alabama to try to suggest they are not Battlefield. The cards are identified as located in Anaheim; that happens before they know where the buyer will be.

rlorenz 05-11-2018 01:39 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Topps-...72.m2749.l2649

I actually got 2 cards from them...I am out 6 bucks..including shipping. so not the end of the world...and they shipped within a day....But when i did go to pay...it was through ebay payment service... not payment. and it was only them that I notice I the name Candiman. And I have it on my receipt as well.

I would provide it now but i am at work...and that stuff as home. This really could be a nothing...but i try to avoid their auctions at all costs.