Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is the point of cracking a card out of a holder? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224162)

Leon 06-20-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unamuzd1 (Post 1552847)

Short form: I crack the card out when the holder doesn't add value and/or gets in the way of my ability to appreciate the card.

Makes sense.....done the same thing on a few occasions.

sebie43 06-20-2016 07:53 AM

Speaking of all this cracking does anyone have a few sgc t206 inserts around? I have about 10 displaying my Detroit set in my bookcase, i need about 5 more

Edited: Thanks Frank!

Cozumeleno 06-20-2016 09:14 AM

The answer's already been said, but I prefer my cards in binders with the exception of a few more expensive cards. I've stored older cards in boxes, then toploaders, and now binders and the binder 'experience' just beats everything else IMO. Cards in a binder with slipcase are protected pretty well.

It's worth noting that I'm dealing with mostly lower grade cards primarily in Poor - G/VG condition. I think the highest-graded card I've ever cracked from a slab was like a 4. Graded cards will certainly fetch more if I ever choose to sell any sets off, but the difference is pretty negligible in my opinion based on the lower grades. Plus, even then I've kept the flips for whoever may want them to prove authenticity should I choose to sell...I've got about 100 or so. The joy of being able to see/feel the cards any time I want far outweighs any small amount of return I might miss out on if I ever decide to sell them.

If I were building a set in mid-grade or high-grade condition, I would undoubtedly keep them slabbed. And as I said, I keep the more expensive cards slabbed. But overall, I don't see much difference between a raw T206 common and one that is like an SGC 20. I'll always look for a graded card when dealing with something a little more expensive but outside of that, I prefer to have them raw.

Republicaninmass 06-20-2016 09:41 AM

to oversell on ebay as "MINT"

vintagetoppsguy 06-20-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1552948)
to oversell on ebay as "MINT"

Battlefield, is that you?
:D

Joshchisox08 06-20-2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1552577)
Josh: It would appear these pop reports are useless.

I agree with what a couple others have said "words cannot describe a T206 set in a binder" and others have spoken to the "uniformity of a collection".

I notice in your signature you are making good progress on your T206 set at 64% complete. 339 cards with 169 PSA, 88 SGC, and 82 raw.

When I put together my T206 set, one of the first things I did was purchase "The Monster" T206 reprint set on eBay (I think they sell for about $50) and insert the reprint set into some brand new 15 pocket Ultra-Pro Sheets.

Then as you obtain an original T206 card, the reprint card is replaced. It was a REALLY fun way to collect the set, and I've never regretted cracking out all those cards.

Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...FBD80E0611.jpg

Pretty cool idea Larry!

Thanks for the kind words as well!

jchcollins 06-20-2016 07:50 PM

Sometimes you get a graded card where the card is beautiful (or at least what you were going for...) but whoever had it before you didn't know how to take care of their slabs or what graded card bags are. If the card arrives in the mail and has a smashed end of the slab, or the front looks like it was clawed multiple times by someone's kitty cat, then I will liberate the card. A brand new crystal clear top loader or Card Saver remains pretty cheap for a card that's going into a collection with zero investment ambitions. :)

jchcollins 06-20-2016 07:55 PM

Also interesting note - did you know if the HOF gets a slabbed card as a donation, they immediately bust it out? Turns out that PSA does not meet archival preservation standards for the 21st century. Not because the slabs damage cards, but just because we don't know yet...100 year from now, will the cards that are slabbed PSA 10's remain perfect? Or will the plastic somehow decompose over a very long period of time and damage the card inside? So yes, the Hall apparently contributes to the inaccuracy of Pop reports:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...-slabbed-cards

trdcrdkid 06-21-2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1553209)
Also interesting note - did you know if the HOF gets a slabbed card as a donation, they immediately bust it out? Turns out that PSA does not meet archival preservation standards for the 21st century. Not because the slabs damage cards, but just because we don't know yet...100 year from now, will the cards that are slabbed PSA 10's remain perfect? Or will the plastic somehow decompose over a very long period of time and damage the card inside? So yes, the Hall apparently contributes to the inaccuracy of Pop reports:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...-slabbed-cards

Yep, we had a lengthy thread about that story:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223468

jchcollins 06-21-2016 04:41 AM

Sorry - must've missed that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainier2004 06-21-2016 06:31 AM

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but some of us just hate slabs, TPGs and what follows with them. I grew up holding cards, smelling cards and checking them out to learn more about them. The TPGs have definitely substantially lowered the barrier of entry into the hobby as you need to know very little now in comparison and that can be a good thing. But I have also watched slabs make intelligent man act like morons with their shinny plastic. In the end, I feel if you are only looking for slabbed cards in certain grades you are giving away a ton of personal power as you are only buying what someone else's opinion is. I love breaking out cards, I break them out simply if I want to. The investment angle has become very old to listen to as well...its a hobby. I hate slabs...

pharoh690 06-25-2016 07:01 AM

Dessau SGC 10

Just cracked out my first card,kind of gave me goose bumps

nebboy 06-25-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1552952)
battlefield, is that you?
:d

+100 :)

doug.goodman 06-25-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1553279)
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but some of us just hate slabs, TPGs and what follows with them. I grew up holding cards, smelling cards and checking them out to learn more about them. The TPGs have definitely substantially lowered the barrier of entry into the hobby as you need to know very little now in comparison and that can be a good thing. But I have also watched slabs make intelligent man act like morons with their shinny plastic. In the end, I feel if you are only looking for slabbed cards in certain grades you are giving away a ton of personal power as you are only buying what someone else's opinion is. I love breaking out cards, I break them out simply if I want to. The investment angle has become very old to listen to as well...its a hobby. I hate slabs...

Agreed. I hate "the people who get paid for their opinions" and I crack every card that I buy.

What is the point? The point is "I can, so I do".

Doug

ALR-bishop 06-25-2016 03:17 PM

Opinions

Glad I am retired and no longer giving opinions for money, as I would hate to be on Doug's bad side :)

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...psnrkdudw4.jpg

mybuddyinc 06-26-2016 03:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Everyone has good points :) ............. just comes down to what you like ;)

............ as for me :rolleyes: ............

Attachment 236414Attachment 236415

Billy5858 06-26-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybuddyinc (Post 1555137)
Everyone has good points :) ............. just comes down to what you like ;)

............ as for me :rolleyes: ............

Attachment 236414Attachment 236415

:D

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-26-2016 03:43 PM

I guess cracking slabs from goofball companies doesn't count? I also crack BCCG slabs a lot because I hate the product and think disreputable people use the different system to fool naive buyers. When I do sell a BCCG 10 I point out in the listing that the system is not the same as all other grading services. I also always open Beckett Raw Card Review sleeves. I am sure they see themselves as innovative, I just see them as a company willing to do anything to make a buck.

grainsley 06-26-2016 06:05 PM

Personally, I hate slabs, grading, "the game" and a few other parts of our collecting hobby. I just like cards. I have been known to sell out my principles though, when trying to buy a card like a Rose RC, what with all the reprints/forgeries around.......simply because it increases the odds that the graders got it right, and I'm not getting ripped off. And I'm in a remote location, so usually have to depend on a scan, rather than inspect in person. I do bust it out of the slab as soon as I get it though.

Leon 06-27-2016 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1555144)
I guess cracking slabs from goofball companies doesn't count? I also crack BCCG slabs a lot because I hate the product and think disreputable people use the different system to fool naive buyers. When I do sell a BCCG 10 I point out in the listing that the system is not the same as all other grading services. I also always open Beckett Raw Card Review sleeves. I am sure they see themselves as innovative, I just see them as a company willing to do anything to make a buck.

BCCG aren't bad cards it's just a program with a different grading scale and made for the Home Shopping Network. The cards I have seen and have are fine. What company doesn't do what they can to make a buck? PSA is a marketing genius (apparently as millions of lemmings follow mindlessly) and their grading is no better thank Beckett or SGC. They invented the registry, half grades, resubmissions and more, all to make a buck. That is what businesses do. As far as disreputable people using the different system, I would say most read the lablel BUT non-collectors could certainly be fooled. I don't like the program of BCCG as it's confusing but the cards in the holders that I have seen look ok....Happy collecting

ps...I generally don't crack cards but have on many occasions.

SAllen2556 06-27-2016 06:28 AM

It's a hobby to me - always has been, always will be. I understand the need for grading, but I collect cards, not hard plastic slabs graded by monkeys.

Plus, I don't know - somehow they just seem happier when they're free...

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...psuk8ulxec.jpg, http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps63a1x65g.jpg

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-27-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1555352)
I would say most read the lablel BUT non-collectors could certainly be fooled. I don't like the program of BCCG as it's confusing but the cards in the holders that I have seen look ok

wasn't a knock on the cards themselves. just the system. I can pretty much get behind everything you say above.

However I have seen some BCCG 10's where I wonder how the card inside is supposed to be Mint or better, but that's no different than wondering about a grade in any company's slab.

Vintagevault13 06-27-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 1555357)
It's a hobby to me - always has been, always will be. I understand the need for grading, but I collect cards, not hard plastic slabs graded by monkeys.

Plus, I don't know - somehow they just seem happier when they're free...

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...psuk8ulxec.jpg, http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps63a1x65g.jpg

These pics definitely made me laugh. Good stuff.

Leon 06-27-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1555360)
wasn't a knock on the cards themselves. just the system. I can pretty much get behind everything you say above.

However I have seen some BCCG 10's where I wonder how the card inside is supposed to be Mint or better, but that's no different than wondering about a grade in any company's slab.

Yeap, We can all find cards from ALL tpg's that we scratch our collective heads on. BCCG is no different in that respect. Heck, I would like to find some nice cards in BCCG holders as I am very confident they are good and they will sell for less than with a different companies flip.

Beatles Guy 06-27-2016 07:25 AM

I just freed 12 Goudeys from their tombs yesterday. Liberating.

Vintagevault13 06-27-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1555370)
Yeap, We can all find cards from ALL tpg's that we scratch our collective heads on. BCCG is no different in that respect. Heck, I would like to find some nice cards in BCCG holders as I am very confident they are good and they will sell for less than with a different companies flip.

I also trust that cards in BCCG holders are good (regardless of the grade). I find that cards in BCCG holders sell for about the same as raw cards in similar conditions. As a result, I look for BCCG cards then crack them. By doing this, I basically get free authentication since they have gone through Beckett.