Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Net54baseball Pre-War Set Group Break - Set to be Decided? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192077)

Nappy1525 08-09-2014 12:43 PM

Do you have a time frame on when this would start?

Leon 08-09-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nappy1525 (Post 1308078)

I am currently on the lookout for a suitable grouping/set or lot(s). I am looking at pre-war baseball more than anything else. Once a set/group is acquired I will send it to Nick and off and away the game goes. I would expect 2-3 weeks, but it could be longer or shorter, as I want to make sure I get a good deal on whatever it is so our members can have some value in what they are doing. Still quite open to what cards it will be but I think some HOF'ers are a must and preferably pre-war since that is what this board is known for.

autocentral 08-09-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nappy1525 (Post 1308078)

No time frame yet. But likely the end of the month. We will definitely keep everyone posted.

-Nick

Leon 08-09-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocentral (Post 1308082)
No time frame yet. But likely the end of the month. We will definitely keep everyone posted.

-Nick

We posted at the same time.....at least we are on the same page... :)

Econteachert205 08-09-2014 12:55 PM

i'm with those who said 41 play ball as a good choice. Honestly though price matters to me more than type of set, 55 topps would be a great lottery at the right price.

HalChaseCollector 08-09-2014 08:46 PM

t205
or
1963 topps set

I like the idea of doing any set!

brianp-beme 08-09-2014 10:21 PM

I like this idea too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texxxx (Post 1307897)
I don't see why it has to be just one set. Why not make it a bunch of cards from different sets. That way everyone has a chance of possibly getting one they want. OJ's all the way through 50's.

I like this idea too...perhaps a larger, jambalaya lot that you occasionally see from an auction company that consists of multiple cards from 3 to 8 or so different vintage sets. This lot would ideally have some star power to pull in even more participants.

Brian

darkhorse9 08-09-2014 10:32 PM

Having never participated in one of these I'm very interested, particularly if we choose 1941 Play Ball.

My only question is, will we be limiting people to just one chance in order to get 72 different people involved? If a wealthy dealer decides he was to pony in for 25 places then that shuts out a lot of product and people who want to join.

Leon 08-10-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse9 (Post 1308267)
Having never participated in one of these I'm very interested, particularly if we choose 1941 Play Ball.

My only question is, will we be limiting people to just one chance in order to get 72 different people involved? If a wealthy dealer decides he was to pony in for 25 places then that shuts out a lot of product and people who want to join.

All options for a group or set are on the table. My goal will be to get something with good value and that our members collect. I don't think there has been a bad suggestion yet. I probably want to stay with pre-war but that is not a definite. As for how many places each person will be allowed to buy, my idea is to let everyone buy one, then the leftovers can be doled out after that. Everyone should get a chance before members are allowed to buy more. My bigger concern is getting a group and not selling enough, leaving me with quite a few spots. At the end of it, if there are leftovers then I have no choice but to have them, since I will be footing the bill. The goal will be to sell every one to members and not have any leftover .

gregr2 08-10-2014 09:02 AM

I'm definitely in for one and depending on the price (and if there are leftovers) possibly more than one.

wolf441 08-10-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1308353)
All options for a group or set are on the table. My goal will be to get something with good value and that our members collect. I don't think there has been a bad suggestion yet. I probably want to stay with pre-war but that is not a definite. As for how many places each person will be allowed to buy, my idea is to let everyone buy one, then the leftovers can be doled out after that. Everyone should get a chance before members are allowed to buy more. My bigger concern is getting a group and not selling enough, leaving me with quite a few spots. At the end of it, if there are leftovers then I have no choice but to have them, since I will be footing the bill. The goal will be to sell every one to members and not have any leftover .

I think that's a great idea Leon and I don't think you will be stuck with unsold slots. Perhaps give everyone a deadline to purchase one slot and then leave enough time after that for folks to buy as many additional slots as they like. If the price point is around $25-30/slot, I can see multiple members purchasing 4-5 slots each. If you are going with pre-war, I would suggest tying to keep the buy-in price to $30 or less, at least for this first go-'round. Once everyone gets a feel for the concept, I think people will be willing to put up more $$ per slot...

Just my 2 cents...

Leon 08-10-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf441 (Post 1308356)
I think that's a great idea Leon and I don't think you will be stuck with unsold slots. Perhaps give everyone a deadline to purchase one slot and then leave enough time after that for folks to buy as many additional slots as they like. If the price point is around $25-30/slot, I can see multiple members purchasing 4-5 slots each.

Yeap, 20-30 each is the price point I am targeting. I am sure Nick will have some rules about buying them and I will leave that to him. I will happily give some guidance if he needs or wants any, but you guys get the idea. This is about having fun and someone(s) getting some nice cards for the money. This won't be exactly like gambling as everyone who plays will get a card. How much it's worth is the surprise part, of course.

HalChaseCollector 08-10-2014 10:37 AM

I can't wait for this! Sorry if this has been asked earlier but when will the set be decided?

Orioles1954 08-10-2014 11:09 AM

Leon,

I really like the idea of a "shoebox draft" where there are cards from tons of different sets. At H&S those are our most popular lots and I think it would draw more interest, particularly for those who are not enamored with a T205, 1955 Topps, 1941 Play Ball set (for example).

autocentral 08-10-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Mays Hayes (Post 1308389)
I can't wait for this! Sorry if this has been asked earlier but when will the set be decided?

My guess is the set will be decided in about a week or two. We are still interested in hearing everyone's suggestions.

-Nick

Section103 08-10-2014 11:43 AM

Love the idea and love the fact that Leon is donating money towards his cause. Great stuff.

nebboy 08-10-2014 12:39 PM

Love the shoe box idea!!!!!!!!

It could lead to Ts, Ws, Rs, Ds, Ms, minor league cards.

Maybe it would lead to some great trades or sells on b/s/t.

Jacker_ Cracks 08-10-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 1308431)
Love the shoe box idea!!!!!!!!

It could lead to Ts, Ws, Rs, Ds, Ms, minor league cards.

Maybe it would lead to some great trades or sells on b/s/t.

+1 love this idea as well!

edjs 08-10-2014 01:20 PM

I am most definitely in, at the $25-50 range. I would prefer a pre-war, or a shoebox, as also suggested. 1941 Play Ball is a great set choice, but it seems to me the slots would sell out fast. Maybe add some of the paper issue to the list to add a few more opportunities?

Ed

JollyElm 08-10-2014 02:50 PM

I find it very important, as others have noted, too, that you structure the process so the most people possible get an opportunity to be included. Definitely only allow one entry per person until a certain timeframe (a day or two) passes by…and then you can buy as many slots as your heart desires.

If you make payment via paypal friends & family (or whatever it's now called), then making multiple purchases over a couple of days won't extract additional fees and what not.

A suggestion. Perhaps if you guys determine the buy prices on a couple of the sets you're targeting (that fall within the price range you are seeking), you can then list those sets here and people could specifically vote on which one they would like you to use for the group break?

deadballfreaK 08-10-2014 03:52 PM

I'm definitely in for a card or three in the 25-50 buck range. I collect everything so I can get into most any set. Kinda like the shoebox idea or one of the play ball sets.

zachtruitt 08-10-2014 04:09 PM

Thanks Leon and Nick for this great idea! I can't wait until this goes live as I think it will be a great success for the site.

Leon 08-10-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1308489)
I find it very important, as others have noted, too, that you structure the process so the most people possible get an opportunity to be included. Definitely only allow one entry per person until a certain timeframe (a day or two) passes by…and then you can buy as many slots as your heart desires.

If you make payment via paypal friends & family (or whatever it's now called), then making multiple purchases over a couple of days won't extract additional fees and what not.

A suggestion. Perhaps if you guys determine the buy prices on a couple of the sets you're targeting (that fall within the price range you are seeking), you can then list those sets here and people could specifically vote on which one they would like you to use for the group break?

Since this is so fluid of a buy, and I am being more opportunist than normal, I doubt we can take a vote about what exact set/group to get. This thread is about as far as I think I want to go in involving member input. It only makes sense to get what most people enjoy, within the confines that have been laid out. All good suggestions so far. And yes, a hodgepodge of cards isn't ruled out.

milkit1 08-10-2014 05:57 PM

colgans would be fun!

Shoebox 08-10-2014 06:23 PM

I normally just lurk around here enjoying the discussions and trying to learn but love this idea and would definitely want a slot.

Matvoo 08-10-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1307803)
Great idea. I would like the T206 set, but a subset will be much more manageable.

This a subset for t206 would be awesome

wazoo 08-10-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matvoo (Post 1308634)
This a subset for t206 would be awesome

Would love t206s...but I wouldn't mind settling for 1941 Play Ball. Even if I don't collect them. That or some 1915 Cracker Jacks...idk how that would work considering there are some expensive cards. What about E cards?

Sean1125 08-11-2014 06:53 AM

As a side note, a t206 break could be arranged in the 40 to 50 price point, and t205s (if a set could be found) in the same, maybe cheaper

ullmandds 08-11-2014 07:07 AM

I love the idea of a shoebox...or a vintage set...exhibits would be cool.

Jayworld 08-11-2014 07:18 AM

Maybe too late to chime in, but would be interested in:

Prewar:
1940 Playball
T201
1939 Playball

Postwar:
1952 Bowman
1955 Topps Doubleheaders

obcbobd 08-11-2014 09:31 AM

Leon

I'm in. I trust your judgement. This should be fun

Bob

JasonD08 08-11-2014 09:48 AM

Diamond Stars would be a great one or even 1934 Goudey. Alot of HOFers.

autocentral 08-11-2014 02:07 PM

Keep the post coming. Thank you to all for the input.

-Nick

edjs 08-29-2014 01:09 AM

Did this idea die? Did I miss it? Did a set get decided?

Rich Klein 08-29-2014 04:06 AM

I suggested to Leon when I saw an auction currently running about several post-war sets which would were available reaonably and he indicated to me that he would much rather run pre-war (which makes sense)

However, I think some of the sets I mentined, would be great for this and I hope he reconsiders :D

Rich

GehrigFan 09-05-2014 07:12 AM

To make it a pre-war set and yet one where the value is spread out nicely can be tough... but I would suggest one of the Games. 1936 S&S, 1913 Tom Barker, 1913 National Game, 1914 Polo Grounds - they are completely loaded with Hall of Famers so instead of 1-2 people getting one big card, many people would get a nice HOF card. Would also keep the cost per person down. You'd still have a few higher end hits like a National Game Joe Jackson.

Leon 09-05-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GehrigFan (Post 1318705)
To make it a pre-war set and yet one where the value is spread out nicely can be tough... but I would suggest one of the Games. 1936 S&S, 1913 Tom Barker, 1913 National Game, 1914 Polo Grounds - they are completely loaded with Hall of Famers so instead of 1-2 people getting one big card, many people would get a nice HOF card. Would also keep the cost per person down. You'd still have a few higher end hits like a National Game Joe Jackson.

Thanks Mark......certainly something to keep in mind. I am high bidder on one lot right now so we will see. It's not too easy as once I bid on one lot I have to be careful not to buy another one if I am bidding for the same purpose......I am still hot on the trail though. Thanks for everyone's patience.

pawpawdiv9 09-05-2014 07:29 AM

Just catching up on this...i love the idea of a 'mixed bag'. Like one guy said, it gets ALL of us interested in this. Not knowing what you can get will be interesting indeed. I am more post-war, but i wouldnt mind getting a piece of pre-war.

Leon 09-05-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1318717)
Just catching up on this...i love the idea of a 'mixed bag'. Like one guy said, it gets ALL of us interested in this. Not knowing what you can get will be interesting indeed. I am more post-war, but i wouldnt mind getting a piece of pre-war.

I can't say what but my high bid right now is a tiny bit post war.......I am really just looking for a real good value where there are some HOF'ers and some quantity so everyone can play. I am not just buying the first thing out there.....

Shoebox 09-05-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1318719)
I can't say what but my high bid right now is a tiny bit post war.......I am really just looking for a real good value where there are some HOF'ers and some quantity so everyone can play. I am not just buying the first thing out there.....

40s Exhibt set perhaps?

pokerplyr80 09-11-2014 01:01 PM

I'm new to this forum but I'd be in for the break. 41 play ball and 51 bowman both sound good.

pokerplyr80 09-11-2014 01:03 PM

I'm new to this forum but I'm in for the break. 41 play ball or 51 bowman sound good

25801wv 09-11-2014 01:24 PM

I'm in

I think Play Ball would be the best value but would be happy with anything you choose.

Louieman 09-11-2014 01:42 PM

Yeah, hopefully it's not too late for input. If it is, I'm simply in for the idea. If it's not, I'd suggest 47-66 exhibits, bowman 49-51, or t206

Leon 09-11-2014 01:51 PM

I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. I am actively looking for the right set. If it is not Pre-War it will be a set with a lot of good HOF'er cards. It will definitely be vintage. Hopefully I will have another update soon.

Leon 09-12-2014 07:05 AM

'54 Topps

Thanks to Sterling Sports Auctions for auctioning the set we will be breaking. While it's not pre-war, it's close. More details soon......

http://sterlingsportsauctions.com/Lo...entoryid=26154

Econteachert205 09-12-2014 07:07 AM

Great deal Leon! I can't wait to participate... so many options for a winner, great rookies

brianp-beme 09-12-2014 07:10 AM

All in

Even though I do not collect post-war I'm still in...plenty of nice opportunities for us, and not a bad looking set of cards. Thanks Leon, and let's make this fun

Brian

Leon 09-12-2014 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1321195)
Even though I do not collect post-war I'm still in...plenty of nice opportunities for us, and not a bad looking set of cards. Thanks Leon, and let's make this fun

Brian

I know Brian......I really did want Pre-War but it was just taking so long. I had to consider so many things and at the end of it I wanted something that was a good value (I think this probably was), is definitely vintage (it is) and had some high end cards that are possibilities. Plus the cost per chance couldn't be too high either. I need to pay for it and get it shipped to Nick and we can go from there.

BicycleSpokes 09-12-2014 07:18 AM

Nice

Tough to complain about any of the great 1950s sets getting the nod here! Thanks Leon, I am looking forward to participating.