Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's your Monster number? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145243)

Den*nis O*Brien 11-17-2015 03:29 PM

Updated Monster Number

1 Attachment(s)
So...thanks to Lee at Sterling, forazzurri2axz and Barry Sloate a long time ago...
Frank you can count me in at an anemic and modest 71 unique Monster Cards.

PolarBear 11-18-2015 09:14 AM

Wow, someone hit 1000, awesome!

bigtrain 11-18-2015 09:51 AM

Picked up a decent Cobb red portrait. When it arrives I will be at 517.

Cozumeleno 11-18-2015 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About nine months after picking up my first T206 back in February, I've reached the magical number (for me, anyway) of 520. I set out to do 518, but picked up this Demmitt and O'Hara St. Louis' from two board members last week. Ironically, both are missing the upper left corner! Please also start a Set #2 for me as well (58) since I've upgraded 58 cards as well.

My set is mostly P-G, but pretty in my eyes and getting more aesthetically pleasing with numerous upgrades so far. I doubt I'll try to complete a set #2, but will be continuing to upgrade with some cleaner cards and more unique backs.

I also freed about 60 cards that were encapsulated, so there's that.

Big shoutout to many members that helped me. I purchased from about 25 or so. Big hat tip to Frank as well as the two guys I probably bought the most from - Scott (mybuddyinc) and Luke (lukelyon). Can't possibly thank everyone since I'm sure I'll forget several, but if you helped me with a card (or several) along the way, thank you!

PERSONAL NOTES:
First card - Harry Howell Sovereign
Last card (of the 518) - JF Kiernan
Favorite card - Matty Dark cap
Favorite card I own - Either Home Run Baker OM or Bender Portrait EPDG
Most annoying card to find - Chance red portrait
Best deal - Getting Titus in a lot of about 200 commons
Favorite achievement - Getting all four Cobbs (3 Graded 1s and 1 Auth/1 PB) for under $2,000
Most shameful achievement - Losing a Lundgren KC card somehow ... don't ask
Non-Common Piedmont/Sweet Cap - 15% (American Beauty, Cycle, EPDG, Tolstoi, Old Mill, Polar Bear, Sovereign, Sweet Cap Overstrike)

yoyot1 11-18-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1474212)
PERSONAL NOTES:
Favorite achievement - Getting all four Cobbs (3 Graded 1s and 1 Auth/1 PB) for under $2,000
Non-Common Piedmont/Sweet Cap - 15% (American Beauty, Cycle, EPDG, Tolstoi, Old Mill, Polar Bear, Sovereign, Sweet Cap Overstrike)

I like your stats; i've got a low grade collection as well, at 518 (missing Cobb bat off, but have Demmitt StL). I've lost track of my first card, and don't know if I have a favorite, but my personal notes would include:

- Reprints mistakenly bought: 1 - Ed Foster. It wasn't even a good reprint, I just didn't look at the scan closely.
- Card I bid the most times on before I won it: Ray Ryan - I was stubborn and wouldn't spend more than $30 on it and went a couple years of semi-active bidding before I got it.
- Number of times screwed in trades: twice, once on the old board (anyone remember Brandon Rusnak?), once here (I think the guy may have died, he just disappeared from the board, and had been active prior... was just a couple of beater dupes)
- Card that I thought I owned for years, but did not: Dahlen, Brooklyn. The Boston version must have tricked me one day...

Cozumeleno 11-18-2015 09:34 PM

Thank you - your notes are interestingly as well. I didn't buy any reprints but the biggest mistake sort of along those lines is buying a few that were trimmed that weren't advertised as such.

Card I bid on the most and lost out on was probably Mordecai Brown or Frank Chance red portraits. Those just took me a while to get within what I wanted to pay.

Didn't make any trades but bought probably 100+ cards through the B/S/T. Was fortunate to not have a single bad deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyot1 (Post 1474265)
I like your stats; i've got a low grade collection as well, at 518 (missing Cobb bat off, but have Demmitt StL). I've lost track of my first card, and don't know if I have a favorite, but my personal notes would include:

- Reprints mistakenly bought: 1 - Ed Foster. It wasn't even a good reprint, I just didn't look at the scan closely.
- Card I bid the most times on before I won it: Ray Ryan - I was stubborn and wouldn't spend more than $30 on it and went a couple years of semi-active bidding before I got it.
- Number of times screwed in trades: twice, once on the old board (anyone remember Brandon Rusnak?), once here (I think the guy may have died, he just disappeared from the board, and had been active prior... was just a couple of beater dupes)
- Card that I thought I owned for years, but did not: Dahlen, Brooklyn. The Boston version must have tricked me one day...

jlehma13 11-19-2015 08:42 PM

Way to go, Anson! I need you to start upgrading asap. ;)

Mighty Casey 11-19-2015 09:45 PM

30 for Mighty Casey

Luke 11-19-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1474212)
About nine months after picking up my first T206 back in February, I've reached the magical number (for me, anyway) of 520. I set out to do 518, but picked up this Demmitt and O'Hara St. Louis' from two board members last week. Ironically, both are missing the upper left corner! Please also start a Set #2 for me as well (58) since I've upgraded 58 cards as well.

My set is mostly P-G, but pretty in my eyes and getting more aesthetically pleasing with numerous upgrades so far. I doubt I'll try to complete a set #2, but will be continuing to upgrade with some cleaner cards and more unique backs.

I also freed about 60 cards that were encapsulated, so there's that.

Big shoutout to many members that helped me. I purchased from about 25 or so. Big hat tip to Frank as well as the two guys I probably bought the most from - Scott (mybuddyinc) and Luke (lukelyon). Can't possibly thank everyone since I'm sure I'll forget several, but if you helped me with a card (or several) along the way, thank you!

PERSONAL NOTES:

Congrats! :D

trdcrdkid 11-19-2015 11:19 PM

Frank, since I just did a back census of my T206s and posted about it, you might as well update my Monster number. I'm at 353 for my first set and 28 for my second set. No need to go beyond that, though there are two cards I'm doing back runs on for which I have seven each (Camnitz arms up and Wiltse portrait with cap).