Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any One Collect Pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056)

dwr11 05-12-2014 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1274360)
just based on eBay, they don't turn up very often....altho one seller has had maybe 6 of the Giants forever. He's asking $20 ea. What have you been paying? Also, have you seen others besides Bucs, Reds and Giants?

Here is a scan of the Tony Oliva and Harmon Killebrew buttons from this series. I don't have individual scans for them. I always thought they were from 1971-1973. I know there are two different Clemente buttons from this series. One of them is very difficult to find. I have found the Twins players from this series to be pretty difficult to find but not impossible. Some players are extremely easy and others you hardly ever see.

perezfan 05-12-2014 11:35 AM

I would guess 1972 for the dating. Joe Morgan came to the Reds from Houston to start the '72 Season, and the font on his pin is different/larger. That would indicate a revision of some type, and 1972 would make the most sense.

If they were made in '71, Morgan would be an Astro. If they were made in '73, the Morgan Pin would look like all the rest of the Reds. That leaves 1972 as the logical choice.

Just conjecture, but that's my measly contribution.

dwr11 05-12-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1275358)
I would guess 1972 for the dating. Joe Morgan came to the Reds from Houston to start the '72 Season, and the font on his pin is different/larger. That would indicate a revision of some type, and 1972 would make the most sense.

If they were made in '71, Morgan would be an Astro. If they were made in '73, the Morgan Pin would look like all the rest of the Reds. That leaves 1972 as the logical choice.

Just conjecture, but that's my measly contribution.

That's good logic. I am thinking they were made for 2 or 3 years though. My logic is based on the fact that Clemente has two different buttons from this series with completely different photos. Great thread and discussion!

ooo-ribay 05-13-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwr11 (Post 1275341)
Here is a scan of the Tony Oliva and Harmon Killebrew buttons from this series. I don't have individual scans for them. I always thought they were from 1971-1973. I know there are two different Clemente buttons from this series. One of them is very difficult to find. I have found the Twins players from this series to be pretty difficult to find but not impossible. Some players are extremely easy and others you hardly ever see.

Lots of pins and lots of pennants for the Twins. I guess it only makes sense with Wincraft based in state.

71buc 05-13-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwr11 (Post 1275367)
That's good logic. I am thinking they were made for 2 or 3 years though. My logic is based on the fact that Clemente has two different buttons from this series with completely different photos. Great thread and discussion!

Your logic sounds good to me. However, I have never seen another with the same font as on the Morgan. Does anyone have an example of the other version of Clemente? I would love to see it.

Scott Garner 05-14-2014 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobmc (Post 1275315)
Scott,
Didn't see this one on your nohitter list...you must have it.
Do you know what year and/or category it is?
Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob,
I do have two different Joe Horlen pinback buttons from his stint with the White Sox, but I have not see this one which is completely new to me.
I'm sorry that I don't have any info to help....

Scott Garner 05-14-2014 03:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1274193)
"sorry to revive an old thread"? I love that you revived it! I can't hang with those 5 figure card guys! :D

re: your questions...
  • I call them the "black square series" due to the text box.
  • unknown.
  • The Giants had 12 players but we hadn't seen McCovey until just recently.
  • unknown.
  • unknown.
  • Based on the Giants in the set, I've always thought 1972-73.
  • Mine are all easel backed.

I'm not sure I knew other teams were in this series....I tend to live in my own little Giants world :p...I've always liked these too and would love to see more! Sorry for my crappy picture. The Tom Bradley (lower right) isn't due to me....he is ALWAYS in heavy shadow.

Rob, Mike and Mark,
Here is my contribution to this interesting topic:
For many years I have owned this "black square" pinback of Nolan Ryan in my collection. This is a very challenging pin to find as I have not seen/ heard of many in the hobby, even amongst fellow Nolan Ryan advanced collectors.

I always guessed its vintage to be around 1974, but I can certainly believe that it could be 1973 based on the road grey uniform style that Nolan is wearing. It cannot be from 1972 because of the "A" on Nolan's Angels jersey being a capital "A" and not the lower case "a" which were used in 1972.

My Ryan pinback does not have an easel on the back, or at least mine did not have one when I purchased it second hand in the 1980's.

Finally, this pinback was definitely photographed somewhere other than So Cal. Nolan is wearing a road grey uniform and features the shaded face ala Rob's Tom Bradley SF pinback. I don't recognize the stadium in the background. Does anyone recognize where this photo may have been shot?

One of my close friends and I, which both attended many Angels games during the early to mid 1970's in Anaheim, do not recognize this pinback as one that was sold at Anaheim Stadium, so these likely were not a stadium pin.
Thanks!

ooo-ribay 05-14-2014 07:44 AM

Interesting that this one could not be 1972. The shaded face reinforces my idea that not a whole lot of effort went into production. The "centering" also often leaves something to be desired.

71buc 05-14-2014 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your input Scott. Why am I not surprised you would have the Ryan pin. Here are pins featuring Santo with the White Sox. He played for them in only 1974. The Cepeda pin has to be 1973 for the same reason. I am thinking these were produced between 1972 and 1974.

perezfan 05-14-2014 09:44 AM

Interesting... Based on evidence, it looks like these were definitely made over a range of 2-3 years.

Great thread!