Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Babe Ruth? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166309)

jgmp123 05-02-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1126025)
I can't figure it out. No one even replied to him. It appears that he was frustrated that people were trying to authenticate the signature? Did someone edit out what set him off? :confused:

I think it was more about nobody really listening to what he was saying about how good these guys (forgers) are and they wanted to keep analyzing the "straight lines"

Runscott 05-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1126031)
I think it was more about nobody really listening to what he was saying about how good these guys (forgers) are and they wanted to keep analyzing the "straight lines"

This is truly hilarious. I take you off ignore (out of morbid curiosity), and what do I find?

I still own you :)

James - I haven't been buying Babe Ruth forgeries...I mean autographs....for 50 years, I don't work for a TPA and I don't have secrets so deep and meaningful that I can't even tell you why I'm 100% certain of my opinions. Many of the experts in this forum don't even read what I write. So how was it so easy to put you in my back pocket?

Why do you love me so much? I'm unavailable - go away.

Runscott 05-02-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1126025)
I can't figure it out. No one even replied to him. It appears that he was frustrated that people were trying to authenticate the signature? Did someone edit out what set him off? :confused:

PM sent. Thanks for warning me yesterday about the dangers of caffeine. I tried to take a day off from visiting this thread, but alas - I have very little self-control, even without said poison.

jgmp123 05-02-2013 09:25 PM

Delete

jgmp123 05-02-2013 09:29 PM

Delete

Runscott 05-02-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1126040)
Dude...what in the world are you talking about...Seriously, take your meds and go to bed.

Edit: Seriously....ask Leon about the "ignore" button....you may need to call tech support to get that fixed...

Wow, you're back already? ;)

I thought I felt a lump in my pocket. Goodnight James, and good luck to you and Dean with those photo sales.

Runscott 05-02-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1126042)
[/B]

Scott,

The only thing you own is your tiny apartment in downtown Seattle....

Also, I'm 31 and married with 2 children...you're nearly 60....I don't think we'd be a good match:eek:

James....you are still doing it. You should spend more time with you family and less on internet 'research' ;)

Okay, back on 'ignore' - you are starting to creep me out.

jgmp123 05-02-2013 09:36 PM

Delete

jgmp123 05-02-2013 09:37 PM

Delete

jgmp123 05-02-2013 09:40 PM

My Reponses...

I apologize to everyone that has to read this crap....

I took the bait and I apologize for that. The last thing I want to do is turn this site into a sideshow...:mad:

Scott,

If you have a problem with me, send me a PM. We can handle it there.

Sean1125 05-02-2013 11:21 PM

I finally read through this entire thread.

I wholeheartedly believe the consignor to be full of shit.

I also believe the autograph to be a forgery.

This autograph on the ticket looks nothing alike the exemplars and there are three key differences my untrained eye spotted.

S34N B4551K

Deertick 05-03-2013 06:09 AM

Time for a reality check

Not for the thin-skinned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJ7l...tailpage#t=43s

slidekellyslide 05-03-2013 06:27 AM

What'd I tell you Shelly...this thread is going to break the record :D

Forever Young 05-03-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1126104)

awesome

Scott Garner 05-03-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1126128)
awesome

+1 Love it!! :p

shelly 05-03-2013 12:39 PM

Just 400 more to go, Then I will start the old one back up.:p

slidekellyslide 05-03-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1126245)
Just 400 more to go, Then I will start the old one back up.:p

There was another thread that branched off from this one that had numerous posts as well, but was still discussing this Ruth ticket...be careful or I'll merge them. :D

7nohitter 05-03-2013 04:49 PM

The future does not hold much without Jim Stinson. Congratulations to the few, meandering rubes who couldn't get heir heads out of their behinds and ran off one of the greatest contributors to this hobby.

And.R.ew Mi.ll.e&r

earlywynnfan 05-03-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1126360)
The future does not hold much without Jim Stinson. Congratulations to the few, meandering rubes who couldn't get heir heads out of their behinds and ran off one of the greatest contributors to this hobby.

And.R.ew Mi.ll.e&r

Couldn't agree more. This forum suddenly got far less important.

Ken

shelly 05-03-2013 07:51 PM

opening up new thread. Your fault Dan

Runscott 05-03-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1126413)
Couldn't agree more. This forum suddenly got far less important.

Ken

Ken, it's just as important or unimportant as it always was. There are always going to be people who would like to see a forum laid out like a publishable book, with themselves and those they respect, as the authors, and the contributors (lesser people such as myself) following rules written in stone.

That's not what a discussion forum is. You have to take the good (expert participation, fun discussions, passionate hobbyists) along with the bad (petty feuds, people on pedestals, violent disagreements).

Or you go write a book and invite Jim and anyone else you respect, to co-author. In any case, Jim will be fine and I'm sure we'll see him around soon enough.

earlywynnfan 05-04-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1126468)
Ken, it's just as important or unimportant as it always was. There are always going to be people who would like to see a forum laid out like a publishable book, with themselves and those they respect, as the authors, and the contributors (lesser people such as myself) following rules written in stone.

That's not what a discussion forum is. You have to take the good (expert participation, fun discussions, passionate hobbyists) along with the bad (petty feuds, people on pedestals, violent disagreements).

Or you go write a book and invite Jim and anyone else you respect, to co-author. In any case, Jim will be fine and I'm sure we'll see him around soon enough.

Well, Scott, since you seem to know everything, I guess it's a good thing you're still here.

ss 05-04-2013 06:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the a comparison of the 700 ticket next to a similar looking signature that comes from an extremely reliable source -- one of the few that I trust. I don't know if the open "a" and the hooked "h" really matter, but they are in both signatures. Also, can someone explain the "backwards a" to me. I don't see that at all. To my eye, the "a" starts exactly as you would expect.

slidekellyslide 05-04-2013 08:50 AM

I don't see the "a" as being written backwards either...looks like the pen was running low on ink when the signature was written.

Big Dave 05-04-2013 09:04 AM

It is not written backward and that is a ridiculous assertion.

thetruthisoutthere 05-04-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss (Post 1126532)
Here's the a comparison of the 700 ticket next to a similar looking signature that comes from an extremely reliable source -- one of the few that I trust. I don't know if the open "a" and the hooked "h" really matter, but they are in both signatures. Also, can someone explain the "backwards a" to me. I don't see that at all. To my eye, the "a" starts exactly as you would expect.

Not even close.

RichardSimon 05-04-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1126468)

I don't think Jim will be back, we spoke yesterday.
Many years ago, he swore off going to shows. I will give someone $100 if they have a photo of Jim at a show in the last 10 years.
But if you buy him a few beers, you never know what might happen :D:D.

Scott Garner 05-04-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1126616)
I don't think Jim will be back, we spoke yesterday.
Many years ago, he swore off going to shows. I will give someone $100 if they have a photo of Jim at a show in the last 10 years.
But if you buy him a few beers, you never know what might happen :D:D.

That sucks... I'm very sorry to hear this.

Everyone loses in this deal. :(

Frozen in Time 05-04-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1126612)
Not even close.

Chris,

First, let me say how sorry I was to hear about the loss in your family. I hope with time that peace and happiness fully replace the sadness and grief that you are feeling now.

As a complete autograph novice, I continue to be confused by these recent Ruth threads. I have looked at all the HOS articles related to Ruth's autograph (as well as net54 threads) and even in those cases where the examples are thought by most to be authentic (legal documents, checks, some balls and photos with invariant and tractable provenance) I can still see clear differences in letter formation and size, slant, pressure, flow and spacing. I assume these are, in part, the result of how Ruth signed (rushed or careful), how the item signed was stabilized, the time window in Ruth's career when the signing occurred, pen or pencil, etc. Even when I look back on my own signature over the last 30 years or so I see huge variations not only over the entire span but even within the same year.

So my question is how can anyone be confident (based on the characteristics of the signature only) that a Ruth autograph (as an example) is authentic? I find it very hard to believe that whatever the characteristic or combination of characteristics thought to define an authentic Ruth auto would not break down the more 100% authentic Ruth autos that are examined. This combined with what Jim S. had posted about the remarkable ability of the master forgers that have invaded the Hobby underscores my question.

Thank you,

Craig

slidekellyslide 05-04-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Not even close.

Can you expand upon that?

shelly 05-04-2013 12:42 PM

I think before anyone say's not a chance it is written backwards. You might take a look through a Jewelers loop or high mang scope. We have a scientist on here he can take a look.

David Atkatz 05-04-2013 02:30 PM

If you look at the image with a jeweler's loupe, you'll see pixels.
Information can only be gleaned by looking at the actual item under magnification.

collectbaseball 05-04-2013 04:45 PM

I don't understand the backwards A either. Is it whole "abe" supposed to be backward or just the A?

shelly 05-04-2013 05:14 PM

Tha a in babe.

Westsiders 05-04-2013 05:28 PM

This may be a silly question...but what indication is there that the "a" is written backwards?

Forever Young 05-04-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westsiders (Post 1126818)
This may be a silly question...but what indication is there that the "a" is written backwards?

Assuming it is now about where the "oval" part(for lack of a better term) and the tail intersect and cross over one another. One would cross over the other depending on which direction one was signing thus the need for a loupe(would be different). As David pointed out, we couldn't do that here nor could anyone else unless they had it in hand. If a letter was written backwards, it would be a good indication that it was bad. I did, however, write my name as Neb when I was a young child. Babe did drink a lot and was pretty immature so who knows... also, mabe it was Ruth who signed the Eddie Gaedel???:) Hey.. just thinking out of the box!

sago 05-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss (Post 1126532)

I'm no expert, but all of the letters look different in both signatures.

ss 05-05-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Not even close.

Thanks Chris. Do you think the second exemplar is "not even close" to authentic, or just not a good comparison to the first exemplar (700 ticket)? What do others think?

Runscott 05-05-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1126525)
Well, Scott, since you seem to know everything, I guess it's a good thing you're still here.

This post is a perfect example of what I was trying to say - I didn't respond the way you wanted me to, so my reward is a snide remark.

Good luck with your book.

earlywynnfan 05-05-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1127215)
This post is a perfect example of what I was trying to say - I didn't respond the way you wanted me to, so my reward is a snide remark.

Good luck with your book.

Perhaps I should re-read all your posts. I'm sure there's never a snide remark to be found. Or are you the only one allowed to be an ass?

travrosty 05-06-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss (Post 1126967)
Thanks Chris. Do you think the second exemplar is "not even close" to authentic, or just not a good comparison to the first exemplar (700 ticket)? What do others think?

good luck getting an answer.

ss 05-08-2013 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's another extremely credible example of the Babe with the open "a" and the hooked "h". What do folks think?

David Atkatz 05-08-2013 04:41 PM

The "open a" and "hooked t" are meaningless. There are scores of authentic examples with one or both of those characteristics.

Runscott 05-08-2013 04:47 PM

I agree, David.

Here's an 'open a' Ruth. It is certified by JSA, NOT by PSA, and it's up in REA - lot 923. (no gotcha, so don't even mention that favorite Net54 catch-phrase)

What's your opinion, David?

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...em_25459_1.jpg

ss 05-08-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1128291)
The "open a" and "hooked t" are meaningless. There are scores of authentic examples with one or both of those characteristics.

I believe you are correct David. What I am trying figure out is whether we are correct -- not regarding the 700 ticket, but in general, regarding Ruth opinions. In other wors, if Chris had posted one of those REA Ruth's that has been pulled, or one of Nash's exemplars in his analysys of Ruth forgeries, and he used the same m.o. as he did with the ticket, would we have also disagreed in that case? We would have been wrong; and some of those look pretty good too. I wonder how the board would have responded.

Runscott 05-08-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1127222)
Perhaps I should re-read all your posts. I'm sure there's never a snide remark to be found. Or are you the only one allowed to be an ass?

As you already know, you don't have to ask my permission to act like an ass.

sayhey24 06-13-2013 09:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just came across these photos that I meant to post back when this thread was going strong. Game used baseball from the game in question -- Ruth's 700th home run game.

Greg

HOF Auto Rookies 06-13-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 1145641)
Just came across these photos that I meant to post back when this thread was going strong. Game used baseball from the game in question -- Ruth's 700th home run game.

Greg

Ok...