Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any One Collect Pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056)

perezfan 06-24-2020 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah... I do remember how much he loved that one. Maybe he finally reeled one in, wherever he is now (see attached sign below!)

batsballsbases 06-24-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1993347)
Yeah... I do remember how much he loved that one. Maybe he finally reeled one in, wherever he is now (see attached sign below!)

I dont know about that sign Mark! If that s the case then we are only left with one other option.... And it may be to HOT to play down there...:eek::eek:

MK 06-24-2020 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 1993327)
Mark just for you a little tribute to our friend Mike, and a little push for the pin section. Mike was a big Cubs fan and always loved this piece I have! Enjoy Mike!

One of the greatest pins ever made! Thanks for sharing again Al. And I too miss Mike H on here.

batsballsbases 06-24-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1993364)
One of the greatest pins ever made! Thanks for sharing again Al. And I too miss Mike H on here.

Me to Mike! And as always that is a great Cubs collection of pins! I think Im missing 2 from that display!;);)

ocjack 06-27-2020 10:48 AM

1990 Giants Pins Dravecky miracle comeback

1 Attachment(s)
Another re-discovery during the quarantine lock-down. 1990 Giants pins along with gas station "header" card promoting the pins and commemorating Dave Dravecky's amazing comeback. The two pins shown are "I've got a Giant Attitude" and "The Miracle - Dravecky". Not certain how many pins were in the promotion.

ocjack 06-28-2020 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also posted this in the advertising signs thread, but since it's "pin" related, I'll add it here as well. Another Union Oil window display for Dodger's 100th anniversary Pin give-away. I also had the opportunity to have several Dodger's sign next to pins most closely associated with their tenure. Sadly, there's a fading Sandy Koufax between the two lower left pins. Should have brought a new sharpie. The reverse has a Wes Parker signature. Not sure why I had him sign it there.

Hankphenom 06-28-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 1994434)
I also posted this in the advertising signs thread, but since it's "pin" related, I'll add it here as well. Another Union Oil window display for Dodger's 100th anniversary Pin give-away. I also had the opportunity to have several Dodger's sign next to pins most closely associated with their tenure. Sadly, there's a fading Sandy Koufax between the two lower left pins. Should have brought a new sharpie. The reverse has a Wes Parker signature. Not sure why I had him sign it there.

Wonderful piece!

ocjack 06-28-2020 05:14 PM

Thanks Hank. I had forgotten I had it since there are very few Southern California shows anymore and no opportunity to get signatures. I can't even remember getting players like John Roseboro, Pee Wee and Erskine to sign it. But glad I did.

Cliff Bowman 07-06-2020 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I know the 1978-198? numbered pins have virtually no respect and the later ones are very cheaply made, but many of them are incredibly rare and impossible to find. Being a Cubs collector, ever since learning of the existence of this 1982-83 Fergie Jenkins numbered pin five years ago or so I have kept an eye out for it but no luck. Recently a seller on eBay put up his Cubs pin collection that he got from Wrigley Field vendors as a kid in the early 80's for a hefty price, I offered him a ridiculous sum for just the Jenkins pin and thankfully he accepted.

perezfan 07-06-2020 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was fortunate to pick up this early 1950s Ralph Kiner Pin for a very affordable price. Always liked it, given the cool colors and the fact that virtually all other offerings at the time were just Black & White.

The fact that Kiner is a Hall of Famer makes it just that more special...

Bumpus Jones 07-06-2020 07:42 PM

Very cool Mark. Congrats!

ooo-ribay 07-06-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1996893)
I know the 1978-198? numbered pins have virtually no respect and the later ones are very cheaply made, but many of them are incredibly rare and impossible to find. Being a Cubs collector, ever since learning of the existence of this 1982-83 Fergie Jenkins numbered pin five years ago or so I have kept an eye out for it but no luck. Recently a seller on eBay put up his Cubs pin collection that he got from Wrigley Field vendors as a kid in the early 80's for a hefty price, I offered him a ridiculous sum for just the Jenkins pin and thankfully he accepted.

I totally get where you’re coming from! :p

P.S. even though I’m not a Cubs collector, I’d love to see a link to the whole collection.

Cliff Bowman 07-06-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1996969)
I totally get where you’re coming from! :p

P.S. even though I’m not a Cubs collector, I’d love to see a link to the whole collection.

It won't be anytime soon, but I could certainly take pics of each subset and post them.

ooo-ribay 07-07-2020 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1996971)
It won't be anytime soon, but I could certainly take pics of each subset and post them.

Whoops! Not your collection; the 80s collection on ebay.

Cliff Bowman 07-07-2020 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1997031)
Whoops! Not your collection; the 80s collection on ebay.

The only interesting ones in it were the Jenkins pin and a Santo pin, the rest were commonly found 80's pins.

71buc 07-09-2020 10:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am thrilled to finally land this one. I have no idea why it took so long.

ooo-ribay 07-09-2020 01:07 PM

Woo Hoo! :D

Chris Counts 07-09-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1996900)
I was fortunate to pick up this early 1950s Ralph Kiner Pin for a very affordable price. Always liked it, given the cool colors and the fact that virtually all other offerings at the time were just Black & White.

The fact that Kiner is a Hall of Famer makes it just that more special...

Mark, I might have been the underbidder on the Kiner pin. I looked it up, and it was made just before Kiner held out for a bigger contact. Instead of giving it to him, the Pirates traded him to the Cubs, along with the pins they just made. I understand the pins didn't sell very well because Kiner wasn't wearing a Cubs jersey, but they couldn't have made too many, because if they did, they'd be easier to find. I'm still looking for one ...

perezfan 07-09-2020 10:30 PM

Good info... thanks Chris.

There are a couple of them on eBay right now. Priced higher, but with a "Best Offer" option. It may be tough to find another for the relatively low price I paid. If it makes you feel any better, my snipe was 2 1/2 times the final sale price. :o

ASpaceman 07-25-2020 05:55 AM

Storage

Hey guys - quick question re: storage.

I've looked and looked - but, am unable to find 2-piece plastic cases that could house 3'' or 3.5'' pinbacks.

Does anyone have a vendor they work with?
And/or what do you use to store your larger pieces (aside from chipboard boxes)?

Thanks in advance!

UKCardGuy 07-27-2020 07:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Great thread. I've gotten hooked on pinbacks (see what I did there) after picking up my first 2 recently.

I'm waiting on a few Sweet Caporal pins to be delivered too.

I'm in learning mode at the moment. I'll only dabble here and there while I build up some knowledge about the market. Other than net54 and Paul Muchinsy's book are there pinback websites that you guys recommend?

ooo-ribay 07-27-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2003224)

I'm in learning mode at the moment. I'll only dabble here and there while I build up some knowledge about the market. Other than net54 and Paul Muchinsy's book are there pinback websites that you guys recommend?

No, but batsballsbases is quite knowledgeable.

batsballsbases 07-27-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2003337)
No, but batsballsbases is quite knowledgeable.

Thankyou for the kind words Rob! Gary you can P.M. me if you find something you need to understand or something you may want to buy.... Always be aware of the many repro's of some of the great pins .... Good to see another new pin collector.

UKCardGuy 08-01-2020 04:01 PM

Thanks Al. Appreciate it.

Gary

etsmith 08-11-2020 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody know what this pin is advertising?

[/ATTACH]413401[/ATTACH]

batsballsbases 08-11-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsmith (Post 2007572)
Anybody know what this pin is advertising?

[/ATTACH]413401[/ATTACH]

Edward,
Probably a political pin looks 30s t0 50s was probably used for the play on words (majer) (major) to boost his campaign .. I dont believe there ever was a player named Majer in pro ball...

ooo-ribay 09-23-2020 07:45 PM

Some pretty impressive prices from Hake’s tonight. :eek:

batsballsbases 09-23-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2020220)
Some pretty impressive prices from Hake’s tonight. :eek:

Yes there was! They ended up with some of my money... But I will say I wasnt in on the Alpen Brau Babe Ruth Pin! With the juice it went over 60,000 Dollars! For a pin that has to be a record! But Rob you are correct some very STRONG prices on the pins!:eek::eek: The Mickey Mantle fan club finished over 20,000 Dollars not to mention the fan club card at 7,000..... I was talking to one of the Hakes people on the phone during the auction and he said they have enough pins for 4-5 more auctions... Stay tuned!

68Hawk 09-23-2020 11:19 PM

Meh, no interest no need for pics. Ah well.

ooo-ribay 09-24-2020 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2020257)
Yes there was! They ended up with some of my money... But I will say I wasnt in on the Alpen Brau Babe Ruth Pin! With the juice it went over 60,000 Dollars! For a pin that has to be a record! But Rob you are correct some very STRONG prices on the pins!:eek::eek: The Mickey Mantle fan club finished over 20,000 Dollars not to mention the fan club card at 7,000..... I was talking to one of the Hakes people on the phone during the auction and he said they have enough pins for 4-5 more auctions... Stay tuned!

I made a rookie mistake on the “so long, Giants” pin and didn’t get it. :(

MK 09-25-2020 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this pin which was sold as being about Hank Aaron. That is of course possible since 1954 was his rookie year. I actually purchased it thinking it might refer to Hank Sauer who had a great year for the Cubs in ‘54. Even though it’s a long shot, anyone have any information on this pin?

BRoberts 09-25-2020 01:27 PM

The pin refers to Hank Greenberg when he was general manager of the Cleveland Indians. I cannot remember where online I saw it, but there is a collector with the original cardboard backing that came with the pin when it was issued by a Cleveland newspaper. The newspaper was showing its support for Greenberg as GM.

bobw 09-25-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRoberts (Post 2020598)
The pin refers to Hank Greenberg when he was general manager of the Cleveland Indians. I cannot remember where online I saw it, but there is a collector with the original cardboard backing that came with the pin when it was issued by a Cleveland newspaper. The newspaper was showing its support for Greenberg as GM.

From The Sporting News April 21, 1954

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...341b9e48_c.jpg

Later in Sept

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5969952c_z.jpg

MK 09-25-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much for the great info. This site has the greatest collective knowledge in the world when it comes to memorabilia. Never ceases to amaze me.

batsballsbases 09-25-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2020641)
Thanks so much for the great info. This site has the greatest collective knowledge in the world when it comes to memorabilia. Never ceases to amaze me.

That is great info I also didnt know that myself... You learn something new every day!

MK 09-25-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2020642)
That is great info I also didnt know that myself... You learn something new every day!

Well if you didn’t know Al, I don’t feel so bad about not knowing. 😂

batsballsbases 09-25-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2020644)
Well if you didn’t know Al, I don’t feel so bad about not knowing. 😂

Ha Mike! Hay I cant know everything! But I come damn close!;);) I guess we will have to touch base on the Hakes auction Im sure you were in there with guns a blazin!:D:D I had 3 wins!

MK 09-25-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2020648)
Ha Mike! Hay I cant know everything! But I come damn close!;);) I guess we will have to touch base on the Hakes auction Im sure you were in there with guns a blazin!:D:D I had 3 wins!

I was but I needed a bigger gun. 😁

ooo-ribay 09-25-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2020648)

What were they?

batsballsbases 09-25-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2020651)
What were they?

Ha Ha Ha Rob you know I rarely post my wins but to make you feel better they wernt giants......

batsballsbases 09-25-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2020650)
I was but I needed a bigger gun. 😁

Really Mike? You kinda knew it wasnt going to be cap pistol territory!:eek::eek:I was happy to get away with my life in there! I spoke with one of the reps on the phone the night of the bidding and he told me ALL of his pins will be going up for sale the family changed its mind about the trust and wanted to sell everything so stay tuned 4-5 more auctions will be done!:eek::eek:

perezfan 09-25-2020 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Just heard from my friend and Indians super-collector, Rob Dewolf...

Rob actually has the Greenberg Pin with its scarce original backing. Unless the quote above references someone else, this example might be a lone survivor...

BRoberts 09-25-2020 07:08 PM

That’s the one I saw! Very cool. Can you post a link?

19802008Phillies 09-25-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2020257)

I heard a while ago that Muchinsky had left directions that his collection not be liquidated until his grandchild (who was only 1-2yrs old at the time) was 18 and in college. You mentioned they have enough for 4-5 more auctions, I wonder if they meant in the near future?

perezfan 09-25-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRoberts (Post 2020705)
That’s the one I saw! Very cool. Can you post a link?

There's actually no link. This item is in Rob D's personal collection. He sent me the image, which is what I posted. So that's all we've got!

ooo-ribay 09-25-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19802008Phillies (Post 2020728)
I heard a while ago that Muchinsky had left directions that his collection not be liquidated until his grandchild (who was only 1-2yrs old at the time) was 18 and in college. You mentioned they have enough for 4-5 more auctions, I wonder if they meant in the near future?

That was the story...I heard it from Paul’s son, too...but the story has obviously changed, at least a little bit.

19802008Phillies 09-26-2020 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2020748)
That was the story...I heard it from Paul’s son, too...but the story has obviously changed, at least a little bit.

Hopefully that is true. I’d love to see more of the pins in the book become available. This week’s group was certainly impressive. Maybe the high prices will motivate the family to liquidate more.

batsballsbases 09-26-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19802008Phillies (Post 2020728)

From what I was told Hakes has all of Pauls pins in their possession ... He also told me there will be some regular internet auctions coming up with the smaller priced pins......

ooo-ribay 09-28-2020 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As some of you may know, I collect Giants memorabilia...pennants, nodders, figurals, paper, pins, etc. Currently, pins may be my favorites as I am 99% complete on nodders and the few pennants I am after are either non-existent or out of my budget. I probably have 900 Giants pins and I can go months without seeing one I "need." I was thrilled to find three new ones, all last week. 3", 1.75" and 1.5". I'm curious what Al has to say about the Mays. The image was used for the Dexter Press premiums 1967-68 and the Transogram cards 1969-70. I would call the pin a vintage bootleg...it's not part of any set I know of but I think it dates to around 1970 and I've seen it before.

batsballsbases 09-28-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2021484)
As some of you may know, I collect Giants memorabilia...pennants, nodders, figurals, paper, pins, etc. Currently, pins may be my favorites as I am 99% complete on nodders and the few pennants I am after are either non-existent or out of my budget. I probably have 900 Giants pins and I can go months without seeing one I "need." I was thrilled to find three new ones, all last week. 3", 1.75" and 1.5". I'm curious what Al has to say about the Mays. The image was used for the Dexter Press premiums 1967-68 and the Transogram cards 1969-70. I would call the pin a vintage bootleg...it's not part of any set I know of but I think it dates to around 1970 and I've seen it before.

Hi Rob,
Well as you know I would like to see the back of the pin also as it tells me alot, but on alot of those pins I wouldnt use the word vintage. Bootleg,fantasy, or just a one or few offs. As we have seen many pins are taken from Baseball card fronts and people with pin making machines have cranked these out lately like crazy....Now as a collector like yourself a nice image mays pin is great for your collection as for a value 3-5 dollars? And that would probably be the value for the rest of its life.....A collector pin with very minimal value... But we all colect what we love and if thats your thing that just fine! enjoy them!:):)

Collectorsince62 09-28-2020 09:36 PM

Looking For Some ID Help

2 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up a nice memorabilia collection that included these two pins. Hoping someone could help with the age and approximate value. Thanks.

edtiques 09-28-2020 10:16 PM

The Cardinals pin sold for $86.00 on ebay recently:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-amp-Vi...p2047675.l2557

The Missouri pin is for sale on ebay for $12.50:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...MAAOSwem9ebXjA

edtiques 09-28-2020 10:16 PM

Sorry,double post.

batsballsbases 09-28-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 (Post 2021542)
I recently picked up a nice memorabilia collection that included these two pins. Hoping someone could help with the age and approximate value. Thanks.

Your Missouri football pin is common ,yours looks to be in nice shape range 8-15 dollars. Your cardinals pin also looks in nice shape I believe its 2 1/8 size saint louis button company on the back, more collectible with a range of 40 -70 dollars. Hope that helps...

BuzzD 09-29-2020 03:13 AM

Austin Ju Ju Drum in pinback

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone ID this pin?

sayhey24 09-29-2020 04:42 AM

I doubt the Austin pin was issued that way -- someone probably made it on their own at home.
It has a cool look to it.

Greg

ooo-ribay 09-29-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 2021574)
I doubt the Austin pin was issued that way -- someone probably made it on their own at home.

Greg

Very strange looking.....you would normally think someone wold paste another image on top of a pin....this one looks as if someone cut through the cello and put the image behind the hole. I also noticed the Union stamp is relatively large.

batsballsbases 09-29-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 2021574)

Greg

Agreed looks like someone cut out that image and glued it to the front of a pin.. If you look at the image its creased and is missing paper that wouldnt really happen on a cello button IMO...

Rob I dont think they cut the cello( extremely hard to do) I think they glued it on the front I believe the plastic cello look is coming from the plastic of the coin holder.....

ooo-ribay 09-29-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2021594)

Rob I dont think they cut the cello( extremely hard to do) I think they glued it on the front I believe the plastic cello look is coming from the plastic of the coin holder.....

But doesn’t the brown part look to be on top of the image, especially at about one o’clock?

batsballsbases 09-29-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2021688)
But doesn’t the brown part look to be on top of the image, especially at about one o’clock?

Actually it does... But in any event its home made isnt really worth spit.... IMHO:eek::eek:

AstroJake09 10-15-2020 12:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hoping someone can help with this...

I posted about it a while ago in a dedicated thread but didn't get many opinions and hadn't aquired the pin just yet. This is a pinback that celebrates the 1937 University of Colorado football team that played in the 2nd annual Cotton Bowl on New Year's Day, 1938.

I am certain that the pin is authentic based on the manufacturer, Colorado Badge and Novelty Co., as well as the fact that Colorado was not even victorious in the Cotton Bowl, losing to the Rice Owls by a score of 28-14. However, I am curious as to how scarce early bowl pins would be? There were only five bowl games that teams could participate in during the 1937-38 college football season and playing in one and accepting an invitation was a great accomplishment for any school of the day.

In regards to the actual pin, I have seen only one other similar pin, commemorating CU Band Day in 1940. This was also produced by the Colorado Badge and Novelty Co.

My goal is to collect a pin from every bowl game CU has played in up to the present day (2016 Alamo Bowl.) I figure the '38 Cotton Bowl would be the toughest to find with the second toughest being the 1957 Orange Bowl.

Any and all information or opinions on this pin welcome! Thank you!

ooo-ribay 10-15-2020 06:21 AM

Great pin, Jake. My semi-educated guess would be it has to be pretty rare. After all, it’s 80+ years old.

My question is, what does SUTAK mean???? :confused:

MK 11-01-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The final price on this one surprised me a little.

MK 11-01-2020 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s another:

Chris Counts 11-01-2020 08:38 PM

It seems like every pin I don't have is worth $500. That last Hakes auction was the final straw for me. Seeing all those pins go straight to eBay for even higher prices took away all the fire I had for chasing after them. I'm going back to collecting something that's fun ... like anything else.

I'm curious, though, it seems like there's about 50 PM10 player pins that are really easy to find, and at least 100 others that are completely impossible to find. Why is this? I'm wondering if the common pins were the ones sold at stadiums, mostly in northeastern cities, and the rare ones are salesman's samples that rarely were sold to the public, mostly in the midwestern cities. There are few common pins from midwestern cities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2031231)
Here’s another:

MK 11-01-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2031259)
It seems like every pin I don't have is worth $500. That last Hakes auction was the final straw for me. Seeing all those pins go straight to eBay for even higher prices took away all the fire I had for chasing after them. I'm going back to collecting something that's fun ... like anything else.

I'm curious, though, it seems like there's about 50 PM10 player pins that are really easy to find, and at least 100 others that are completely impossible to find. Why is this? I'm wondering if the common pins were the ones sold at stadiums, mostly in northeastern cities, and the rare ones are salesman's samples that rarely were sold to the public, mostly in the midwestern cities. There are few common pins from midwestern cities.

You’re right some pins being very hard to find. For instance, the Cleveland Indian PM10 pins like the Mitchell above are very hard to find. They were definitely sold by vendors in Cleveland as I have a photo showing them on a board outside the stadium. I guess they just didn’t make as many of them.

ooo-ribay 11-02-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2031272)
You’re right some pins being very hard to find. For instance, the Cleveland Indian PM10 pins like the Mitchell above are very hard to find. They were definitely sold by vendors in Cleveland as I have a photo showing them on a board outside the stadium. I guess they just didn’t make as many of them.

The only 1.75" SF Giants pin I cannot find is Billy Pierce. I think I've seen it once on ebay. Sure, the vendors sold more Mays, McCovey, Marichal, etc. but you would think at 50 cents per pin, a lot of kids would have pestered their parents to complete the whole set.

MK 11-02-2020 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2031460)
The only 1.75" SF Giants pin I cannot find is Billy Pierce. I think I've seen it once on ebay. Sure, the vendors sold more Mays, McCovey, Marichal, etc. but you would think at 50 cents per pin, a lot of kids would have pestered their parents to complete the whole set.

You can say the same thing about several player pins including these two. If it wasn’t short supply, why do you think they are impossible to find today?

ooo-ribay 11-02-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2031259)

I'm not sure I agree with the "business model" of the guy who scooped so many pins in the last Hake's auction. If someone (like me) bid a pin up to $250, what makes the winner think I will now pay double that? I'm pretty sure he has a lot of inventory left of his winnings...

MK 11-02-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2031526)
I'm not sure I agree with the "business model" of the guy who scooped so many pins in the last Hake's auction. If someone (like me) bid a pin up to $250, what makes the winner think I will now pay double that? I'm pretty sure he has a lot of inventory left of his winnings...

He’s done this with every single auction of Paul’s collection. Maybe he’s content with having them in his collection but would sell if someone is willing to really pay up.

Chris Counts 11-02-2020 06:41 PM

I'm just glad I haven't run into someone like him in other realms of baseball collectibles, where I can still fund stuff at reasonable prices (cards, programs, caps, signed balls, etc.). I might have busted my piggy bank for a couple pins in the last Hake's auction, but there's no way I'll pay what he's asking now. So his business model just chased away one of his customers.

Chris Counts 11-02-2020 07:00 PM

I believe they are scarce due to short supply, but I doubt the rare ones were sold at stadiums. If they were, why are all the rare ones I see in great shape, and you can find rusty common pins all day? Again, I suspect they were salesman samples. For the same reason, you can find McAuliffe and KM Pro caps from the 50s through the mid-70s for just about every team — often in great shape — but many teams didn't wear them. My guess is that some east coast company produced the common pins, and never got too far in expanding into the "western" MLB cities of the 1950s, like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Louis. Those cities are heavily represented among the rare pins.

I have no idea who made pins in the 1950s, but a couple of mine have a very small logo that identically matches ones that are on the common stadium pennants from the same era.

In various baseball card sets, the sudden presence of sharp-corned rare cards generally heralds a discovery of some kind. I would not be surprised if some hordes of rare pins appear in the future, like the rare Dormand post cards of Gil Hodges did a few years ago — or those beautiful but cheap Carl Hubbell pins you see all over eBay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2031466)
You can say the same thing about several player pins including these two. If it wasn’t short supply, why do you think they are impossible to find today?

ooo-ribay 11-02-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2031569)

I have no idea who made pins in the 1950s, but a couple of mine have a very small logo that identically matches ones that are on the common stadium pennants from the same era.

The logo under the "ts" in Giants?

batsballsbases 11-02-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2031561)
He’s done this with every single auction of Paul’s collection. Maybe he’s content with having them in his collection but would sell if someone is willing to really pay up.

Mike,
His business model has always been to try and double his money.BUT with the 20% premium and his very high prices on his relisted pins he will be sitting with them for a very long time... I was under bidder on 4-5 of those pins he has now. I will not bring myself to pay those prices on them that he put on them.. I won 3 items last time around and I cant believe he will be that stupid to do it again this time.... As we know pin collectors are a small group and dont have unlimited funds.... He also drives up every single pin that comes up on ebay.....Time to send the message that we wont buy your pins at that level... Good luck with sales!

Chris Counts 11-03-2020 12:31 PM

Yes Rob, that's the logo.

MK 11-03-2020 02:16 PM

That logo is for Sportservice Corporation a concession business.

MK 11-03-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2031632)
Mike,
His business model has always been to try and double his money.BUT with the 20% premium and his very high prices on his relisted pins he will be sitting with them for a very long time... I was under bidder on 4-5 of those pins he has now. I will not bring myself to pay those prices on them that he put on them.. I won 3 items last time around and I cant believe he will be that stupid to do it again this time.... As we know pin collectors are a small group and dont have unlimited funds.... He also drives up every single pin that comes up on ebay.....Time to send the message that we wont buy your pins at that level... Good luck with sales!

Al,
I thought the idea was to buy low and sell high. Buying high and selling very high doesn’t sound very profitable. I was also outbid on several pins and have no desire to go even higher now.

batsballsbases 11-03-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2031775)
Al,
I thought the idea was to buy low and sell high. Buying high and selling very high doesn’t sound very profitable. I was also outbid on several pins and have no desire to go even higher now.

Mike that is the general idea but in his case his business model has always been to double up... it will be very unlikely it will happen with these pins that he bought. He has now tied up alot of funds on these pins and will be sitting on them for a long time. My feeling on some of them he will be taking a loss at some point because prices are way to high. He has to start to understand there is a point when you have to stop pushing the button on auctions... with a 20 % mark up and way to high prices you need to change your business model. But hay what do I know Im just a retired multiple business owner who had alot of success !;)

ooo-ribay 11-03-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2031813)
Mike that is the general idea but in his case his business model has always been to double up... it will be very unlikely it will happen with these pins that he bought. He has now tied up alot of funds on these pins and will be sitting on them for a long time. My feeling on some of them he will be taking a loss at some point because prices are way to high. He has to start to understand there is a point when you have to stop pushing the button on auctions... with a 20 % mark up and way to high prices you need to change your business model. But hay what do I know Im just a retired multiple business owner who had alot of success !;)

I believe he has a Marichal Pm-10 (Hake’s win) up for $195.....while other sellers have it for $39.95. :rolleyes:

ooo-ribay 11-13-2020 04:34 PM

OMG! Someone paid $331 for the very, very, very common Carl Hubbell PM-10. :eek: