Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beware Carterscards2006 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133471)

Ease 03-01-2011 04:55 PM

I wanted to be #500 :(

photo111 03-01-2011 04:57 PM

You plant corn you get corn

Kawika 03-01-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ease (Post 875125)
I wanted to be #500 :(

No worries, Eric. I'll lay off when it hits 1000.

DeanH3 03-01-2011 05:06 PM

I'll join the fray...

...My personal feelings on the outcome, whether it was right or wrong, is not really important. But I will say that I believe that this thread cannot be good for this seller.

botn 03-01-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanH3 (Post 875130)
...My personal feelings on the outcome, whether it was right or wrong, is not really important. But I will say that I believe that this thread cannot be good for this seller.

He survived embezzling 1.6 million dollars. It also appears he shill bids his ebay auctions and eBay does not care. Collectors are also very forgiving... The seller is gonna be more than fine.

GoldenAge50s 03-01-2011 06:23 PM

Having read every post in this thread (as I do w/most every thread on this Board) just a quick 2¢ worth:

(.01¢) Dealer may win w/ EBay, but LOSES w/ me!

(.02¢) Name as part of profile/avatar should be made mandatory for every one who posts on Net54

Leon 03-01-2011 06:25 PM

they can

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 875116)
Tsaiko, I agree. But it got me thinking.

Leon, are our names made public to non-members when they view this forum? I kinda like the idea of our names only being available to members.

Yes, others that are not board members can see the names.

As for Tsaiko, as far as I am aware, you have never done anything to warrant having to have your name on the board. Of course I have it but I won't give it out, generally speaking.

Guys, it doesn't matter to me, really....it's just the rule that we all live by to be part of this community. If you don't want to have to put your name in your sig line or your posts, just don't get into debates, controversial subjects etc,.....and stick to just the cards and memorabilia. I just PM'd 2 board members, participating in this thread whom I have known a long time, to let them know they also need to put their names in their posts.....It is far from a personal issue....

thekingofclout 03-01-2011 06:52 PM

Just wondering...

Can the original poster still follow through on his promise to leave negative feedback even though ebay ruled against him? (the OP) :confused:

vintagetoppsguy 03-01-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 875160)
Can the original poster still follow through on his promise to leave negative feedback even though ebay ruled against him? (the OP) :confused:

He already left feedback and it was a neutral, not a negative as he promised.

CMIZ5290 03-01-2011 06:54 PM

The only thing i would like to add is the accusation of shill bidding. I don't give a crap about the comments made towards the seller on this item (some deserved, lack of communication, etc..) but, i can't begin to tell you the ebay auctions i have lost on high dollar t206 cards for the very same damn thing. Mysteriously, i lose them with 2 seconds left in the auction, and the buyer has 70% participation with the seller!! Come on, are you kidding me?? This is a constant, Bull s*** thing with ebay auctions.

CMIZ5290 03-01-2011 07:04 PM

Leon- by the way, i echo other comments about this forum! Keep up the great work!

Pup6913 03-01-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 875107)
Leon, I don't think you intentionally singled him out, but there are still some without their FULL name - pup6913 and chaddurbin.

It has been taken care of Mr. James. I was not aware my last name was not present actually. But Just for you sir:eek:

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 875162)
The only thing i would like to add is the accusation of shill bidding. I don't give a crap about the comments made towards the seller on this item (some deserved, lack of communication, etc..) but, i can't begin to tell you the ebay auctions i have lost on high dollar t206 cards for the very same damn thing. Mysteriously, i lose them with 2 seconds left in the auction, and the buyer has 70% participation with the seller!! Come on, are you kidding me?? This is a constant, Bull s*** thing with ebay auctions.

Better to lose them than to pay a shilled up price. Ebay must not care because it only increases their take.

CMIZ5290 03-01-2011 07:28 PM

Peter- i think i know what you are getting at, but not completely sure. Nothing like looking at an auction for 7-10 days, and then magically losing at the last micro-second. Ebay is horribly tainted.

Peter_Spaeth 03-01-2011 07:33 PM

Kevin the good news is that if the shill wins, the card will be for sale eventually again.

Tsaiko 03-01-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 875122)
Tsaiko- you don't have to post your name if you don't want to, as long as the posts stick to noncontroversial topics. But I for one find anonymity to be one of the oddities of the internet, and see no precedent for it in our daily lives.

Imagine any social or business situation where you interact with somebody for the first time but refuse to give out your name. But on the internet that is considered acceptable. I find it odd, and don't understand the notion of not wanting anybody to know who you are. After all, this isn't a site for child molesters to congregate. It's just baseball cards. Who cares if any one of us likes to discuss baseball cards? The need for anonymity goes right over my head, but that's me.

Thanks David. Spelling corrected.

Well Barry, I meet people in person, in social situations, who I immediately don't want them to know my real name. Paranoid, maybe, but some people you just know you don't want to know.

Also, I notice there are some members (that use their real names) who never get involved in controversial subjects and I respect them for it. I know it may be hard for some of those members to resist giving their opinion, because it's hard for me sometimes too, but being anonymous and knowing I'll have to out myself if I'm controversial, acts as a self censor and prevents me from regrettable behavior (if I could only do that in real life - I'm a real loud mouth :p.

Please try to understand that some people are in a position or their family are in a position of possible harm if too much information is available about them. For example, think of a Federal Prosecutor, who has received death threats, etc. Piecing together complete information on someone, who uses their real name all over the internet, is really pretty easy.

Having said that, I'm all for getting together with anyone local to LA for a beer, coffee or even to play catch. Of course, I'll be wearing a mask -

j/k.

slidekellyslide 03-01-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 875138)
He survived embezzling 1.6 million dollars. It also appears he shill bids his ebay auctions and eBay does not care. Collectors are also very forgiving... The seller is gonna be more than fine.

This is one hobby where stuff trumps everything else...it's proven again and again. I'd even admit that if this Carterscards guy was selling Lincoln baseball memorabilia I'd still bid on it...If I were still collecting prewar cards I'd probably think twice as the majority of that stuff comes up more than once a lifetime. I doubt this guy will be harmed in any way by the way he handled this situation.

barrysloate 03-02-2011 05:01 AM

Tsaiko- I respect your position, and you have every right to remain anonymous. I just couldn't imagine doing that myself. Any site I've ever posted on (not that there have been that many) I've put my name out. Again, that's just me. And if you're ever in NY let's have that beer!:)

tiger8mush 03-02-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 875171)
Nothing like looking at an auction for 7-10 days, and then magically losing at the last micro-second. Ebay is horribly tainted.

Put in your max bid at the latest time possible. If your bid is higher than all other bids (including shills), you win. There are snipe sites that will allow you to put in your max bid at the last possible second (usually around 3-5 seconds), so that is likely who you are losing to ... a snipe.

as a side note, the part of ebay i think is tainted is 1) you can't see who you are bidding against and 2) you can't leave feedback for buyers.

bobbyw8469 03-02-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Mysteriously, i lose them with 2 seconds left in the auction, and the buyer has 70% participation with the seller!! Come on, are you kidding me??
I'm not really sure that means a shill bidder. If you look at my feedback, you will see that I probably show a higher percentage than that with pwccauctions. Does that mean I am shill bidding his auctions. Not hardly. What that means is that HARDLY NOONE - and yes, you know this is true - runs a true 99 cent auction anymore!! He is one of the last ones that can. I stopped running 99 cent auctions, when my stuff started selling grossly under VCP average. If it is something that I really don't care what it brings, then sure, I will do a 99 cent auction. But everything in my collection I had to pay for (and it is usually close to VCP). So basically, what I am saying is, I bid where the true auctions are. Most of Ebay is BIN/BO. That is why I don't think the percentage means a whole lot.

tonyo 03-02-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsaiko (Post 875175)

Having said that, I'm all for getting together with anyone local to LA for a beer, coffee or even to play catch. Of course, I'll be wearing a mask -

j/k.

I've kept track of this thread pretty closely but this is my first post. Had to chime in because that was the first laugh I have gotten from the thread, and my first laugh of the day.....Thanks Tsaiko, or what ever your name is.......:)

Now that my name has been added to the list of posters in this historic thread,
Put my tick marks next to:
1. Steer clear of carterscards (and clipper baseball2010)
2. the board rule on adding your full name (or not)
3. carterscards lost some healthy business due to this thread (non businessman's perspective)
4. eBay doesn't care about scruples

Also, I just found myself wondering: how would this whole mess been handled had it occurred on grandslambids?

Tony

edited to add: post #521 - Ted Williams last at bat

Tsaiko 03-02-2011 10:57 AM

@Barry - Totally on for the beer, I do make it into the city every once in a while.

@Tony - One of the doctrines that I have lived my life by, one that came to me only after many decades of life experiences, is, "if I can't make you laugh, we're not going to be friends".
It's been proved as a fact of my life, so I'm happy I was able to give you a chuckle :D

Brian Van Horn 02-19-2013 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I seem to have ended up with this card. I don't have cards graded, but will leave it up to you gentlemen. Thank You to Todd for the heads up:

lharri3600 02-19-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwilk17 (Post 872632)
What if PSA says a card is trimmed and SGC swears the card is not trimmed - what then? What if SGC says a card is trimmed and GAI swears it is not trimmed? What if PRO says a card is trimmed and SGC swears it is not trimmed? What then?

And The Band Played on!!:D

Jlighter 02-19-2013 11:10 PM

I REALLY don't feel like reading all this, but with over 500 posts there has to be something decent. Could someone please sum it up.

itslarry 02-20-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1091862)
I REALLY don't feel like reading all this, but with over 500 posts there has to be something decent. Could someone please sum it up.

well, after reading the first 20pgs so far,
http://www.bash.org/?23396

seems to some it up, except moAr angry