PDA

View Full Version : Jewish 19th Century major leaguers

Archive
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>I would like to determine the earliest image appearance (if anything exists) on a baseball collectible for every 19th century Jewish major leaguer (including appearances as part of a team item) listed below. I am including cabinet cards, CDV's, trade cards, postcards, catalogued newspaper supplements, pinbacks, team issues, catalogued woodcuts (NY Clipper, Harper's Weekly), catalogued stamps, etc,... <br><br>I would appreciate any info as to the earliest image for each of these individuals. If any scans are available, that would be great, but just identifying the items would be good too. <br><br>Jewish 19th century players:<br><br>Nathan Berkenstock<br>Leo Fishel<br>Jake Goodman<br>Jacob Pike<br>Lipman Pike<br>Ike Samuels<br><br><br>Thanks.<br>Alan<br><br>

Archive
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The only one I know is Lipman Pike, who appears on an 1873 CdV of the Baltimore club. One of our regular posters has a large composite of the team which is made up of about eleven individual photos, among them Pike and Candy Cummings.

Archive
04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Alan--Rube Levy who appears in the Old Judge and the SF Hess sets was Jewish.<br>

Archive
04-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>was on a scarce early issue too.....He had to be Jewish as his name was MORTon..

Archive
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Alan - <br><br>Berkenstock, Fishel, and Goodman all appear in the Jewish Major Leaguers card set issued in 2003 - I don't know the dates of the photos.<br><br>Lip Pike appears as a member of the 1871 Troy Unions in &quot;The Great Encyclopedia of 19th C Major League Baseball&quot;-p66<br><br>Jacob Pike with the 1875 Lowells (Mass.) in the 7/13/1902 Boston Globe (p35)<br><br>BTW - these are from the SABR online Encyclopedia - a reason to join. The modest fee helps to support this.<br><br><br>

Archive
04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>Can someone post a scan of an Old Judge Rube Levy? Have seen the SF Hess card, but have never seen the OJ.<br>Thanks,<br>Brian

Archive
04-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.