PDA

View Full Version : D304s Question

Archive
03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Kenneth A. Cohen</b><p>Is there an easy and dependable way to differentiate between original and reprint from an online scan? Thanks

Archive
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>i'm not sure you can tell from a scan, but the reprints that i've seen are much smaller than the real issue. ask the seller for the measurements.

Archive
03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>You need to loop them and if the dot pattern goes down into the name font then they are bad.

Archive
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>dan,<br>are there reprint that are the same size as the real issue?

Archive
03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>The reprint D304 I bought, many years ago, was the same size as the originals. When I got it I could tell it was a reprint very quickly.

Archive
03-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Posted By: <b>robert a</b><p>There are three kinds of D304 reprints that I am aware of:<br><br>1.) The smaller version that Andy mentions which is easy to differentiate from the originals because besides being smaller, the backs have BLACK print instead of GREEN for the brunners cards. These don't even look like the real thing.<br><br>2.) The Larry Fritsch reprints. These like the reprints above are not meant to trick people. They're much smaller and say reprint on the back.<br><br>3.) The third type of reprint presents a problem for even serious collectors who want a type card for this issue. I've never seen one in person because I always get outbid, but as Dan stated I think one would be able to differentiate if he had the card in person.<br><br>However, it's very hard to tell the difference from a scan. If you know the issue really well you can tell by looking at:<br><br>Colors: The reprints are faded with the grass and all details much less vibrant<br><br>Backs: The reprints are always off center from top to bottom and you don't see that with the originals as much<br><br>Corners: The corners of the reprints that show wear are a different color than the originals. The wear on the corners shouldn't be a dark brown, but closer to the color of the rest of the paper. If the corners look at all fishy, don't bid on it.<br><br>Paper loss: Some (not all) of the reprints have a spot on the bottom right hand corner of the BACK that has been mysteriously rubbed off. This is probably where the card said reprint.<br><br>In general though, the third type of reprint is very difficult to tell from a scan.<br><br>Rob

Archive
03-20-2009, 04:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Kenneth A. Cohen</b><p>for your help gentlemen. Hey Andy, how have you been?