PDA

View Full Version : What links C46s to Imperial Tobacco?

Archive
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>This is something that I've wondered for a very long time. I don't have any reason to believe that Imperial Tobacco did not issue C46s, I've just never known how the initial connection was made.<br><br>According to the June, 1973 issue of Sports Scoop there is a small &quot;article&quot; covering the C46 checklist. The checklist was submitted by Charles Nagy and contains the following note: &quot;...Nagy, a long-time serious student of card collecting, is willing to admit that he hasn't yet been able to discover who even manufactured the cards.&quot;<br><br>10 years later, the June, 1983 issue of The Trader Speaks contains a C-46 article written by Joe Michalowicz. It starts by saying, &quot;In 1912 an unidentified Canadian cigarette company issued an especially attractive set of 90 cards depicting players from the Eastern League...&quot;.<br><br>By the time Old Cardboard printed their Summer, 2007 issue it has been accepted that C46s were issued by Imperial Tobacco.<br><br>So does anyone know when, how, or by whom, the connection to Imperial Tobacco was ultimately made?<br>Anyone have any idea on how the cards were distributed? I assume they were issued in packs but have yet to see <i>the</i> pack they were issued in.<br><br>Any chance anyone out there can shed some light?<br><br>Thanks in advance,<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Richard.<br><br><br>Note: I realize C46s are mentioned in Lipset's guides, which I believe were originally published in the 80's. I do not have the guide handy though, so cannot cross-check what info it contains about C46s.