PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for successfully ironing out wrinkles in silks?

Archive
03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.</b><p>Or is it akin to spooning out wrinkles in cards?<br><br>Thanks, <br>Pete

Archive
03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike McGrail</b><p>Hi Pete,<br><br>I have done this with a few non-sports silks in the past in order to prep them for framing.<br><br>First I got some fabric that was similar and practiced. I had the iron on the lowest possible setting, no steam. Placed the silk between 2 double folded hankerchiefs to protect it. I went slowly and checked the progress after every few passes of the iron. Took about 10 minutes. I think protecting the silk, low heat and patience are the key here.<br><br>I have no clue if this is bad for the silk in the long run. Nor do I know if this practice is frowned upon in the hobby community.<br><br>Hope this helps, <br><br>Mike

Archive
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>It would certainly be frowned upon if you were ironing out creases for resale. If you're doing it to make them look better in a frame, I guess it's okay.

Archive
03-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert Dixon</b><p>If I was buying a silk, I wouldn't care if someone had previously iron out creases. To me that's on the same lines as soaking a card. You're not altering the item. Just my opinion.<br>