PDA

View Full Version : Vintage "Footy" Cards

Archive
03-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Williams</b><p>I have a friend in Australia who has vintage &quot;footy&quot; cards. &quot;Footy&quot; is Australian Rules Football. I know this is a baseball board but I was wondering is there any market in the US for this type of vintage card and would BGS/PSA/SGC grade something like this?? Or can anyone point me somewhere I could learn more about these cards?

Archive
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>&quot;Footy&quot; cards probably have a very limited market in the US. <br><br>As to the other part of your quesiton - I'm sure BGS/PSA/SGC would be happy to slab anything you send them. Hell, you could even get them to set up a registry for those sets. Someone could market the set(s) as HIGHEST registered in the entire universe but I get the feeling you're not going to sell many on this boards BST nor will you find many people wanting to communicate about &quot;Footy&quot; cards here. By the way, are they even pre WWII (I get the feeling you're talking new and shiney stuff). If it were pre WWII then I'd guess there could be a market for the cards in AUSTRALIA. <br><br>

Archive
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Williams</b><p>They are 40-60's so post war vintage. He said people give them away down in australia as there is no market for them there. I kinda figured that there would be no market here but I had to ask. the members here have a lot more knowledge of vintage things than I do.<br><br>~OC

Archive
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Posted By: <b>David Hanvey</b><p>&quot;They are 40-60's so post war vintage. He said people give them away down in australia as there is no market for them there.&quot;<br><br><br><br>Not sure who you are talking to, but there is a very strong market for footy cards in Australia. If you happen to be sitting on any 1963 Scanlens cards, they are worth big dollars with &quot;commons&quot; selling for around the $400-500 mark.<br><br><br><br>Vintage footy cards first started with the &quot;Aussie&quot; N174's back in 1890 manufactured specifically for the Australian market by Goodwin &amp; Co. These cards will set you back $1500+ if you can find one.<br><br><br><br>As for grading, I know of an American collector that has quite a collection of rare Australian football cards, all slabbed by SGC. Grading however isn't big in Australia at all - I've only seen graded modern basketball cards down here.