PDA

View Full Version : article about the buyer of the 1869 Cincinnati card

Archive
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Howard W. Rosenberg</b><p><a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6279563.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6279563.html</a><br><br>I'm not related to subject of the article, at least as far as I know!

Archive
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Posted By: <b>jay wolt</b><p>Don't know if the card was worth anywhere near $75K<br>But the publicity for the lady that found it and now <br>for the buyer Mr Rosenberg sure puts them in the spotlight.<br>And sometimes good press is priceless.

Archive
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Red</b><p>I just hope they don't cut it up in little pieces to put in packs.

Archive
02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I remember when a collector asked what was the best method to remove the baseball photo from cardboard it was stuck to. I told him what he had was called a cabinet card, and the two should stay together.<br><br>In an attempt to get money for bail, boxer Jake Lamotta famously took a hammer and knocked the jewels off his championship belt, only to be informed by the jeweler that the financial value was in the intact belt (Lamotta didn't meet bail).

Archive
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Mazel Tov to him. I'm happy for him, especially since there was an article in one of the sports hobby publications about him recovering from cancer.

Archive
02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p> But he loves the hobby too -0- and has a great deal of respect for those older dealer/collectors who came before him. It may have never been mentioned on this board; but in the January, 2005 Houston Show; he set up an area for long-time dealers who used to do the old Kennedy/Koppa Houston Show and hosted an hospitality room especially for those dealers, etc. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the hospitality room and the stories told were absolutely awesome about old-time card purchasing.<br><br> On a side note; I'd love to see other promoters do that to honor those promoters and dealers of the past who may or may not be as active as they used to be. <br><br>Regards<br>Rich

Archive
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>That's a good story. It will be interesting to see what the next one sells for. Did that one bring a premium just because of the notoriety? Did the notoriety of the card give it a permanent boost?

Archive
02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Does Rob have one in his upcoming April's REA auction ? Probably not, but it would be interesting to see what it would bring without the newspaper stories, Jay Leno, etc,...

Archive
02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Yes, REA has a Peck &amp; Snyder Red Stocking card coming up.

Archive
02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Posted By: <b>doug goodman</b><p>Am I the only one who can't get the link to work?<br>Doug

Archive
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>I would guess that he bought the card through his business and will give it away as a prize. The fact that he paid a ridiculous price for the card will make it seem like a bigger deal as a prize and the government will subsidize his overpaying with his tax deduction.

Archive
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Posted By: <b>JDRUM</b><p>They are cetainly in the subsidizing business. Good for him, nice story.