PDA

View Full Version : How to soak a Helmar Stamp

Archive
02-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I just purchased my first Helmar stamp. It is adhered firmly to writing paper. I've never soaked a card before, but I thought I'd give it a whirl with this stamp. Two questions:<br><br>1. What's the basic process? I'm especially concerned about the thing warping.<br><br>2. Are there any special issues with stamps, particularly since they come with glue on the back? If I soak it, will that reactivate the glue so that it will stick to something again? I'd hate to have to soak it a second time.<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>Paul

Archive
02-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Posted By: <b>DICK TOWLE STAIN-MAN</b><p>STAMPS ARE BAD IF USING WATER. I HAVE DONE 3 OUT OF 7 USING MY SOLVENTS, THE THREE WORKED OTHER 4 NO. YOU CAN TRY WATER, YOU MIGHT GET IT. THANKS

Archive
02-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>soak stamps in the day and have soaked a bunch of cards and I'd think water would work. After soaked, gently rub the back to get the glue off the back under water and then blot dry with paper towell and put insde of some sheets of white typing paper with a heavy weight, changing the typing paper every 10-15 minutes until dry.<br><br><br>

Archive
02-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Thank you both. It sounds like stamps are riskier than cards. I thought the opposite would be true. I think I'll just trim the writing paper so that it is the same size as the stamp and leave it at that.

Archive
02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>Never use a solvent, plain old water will soak the stamp off, as well as any paste based cards that are in an album or scrapbook. Solvents should never be used unless the glue has been identified as solvent based(quite unlikely in early cards) and odds are then you will do damage to the cards inks, causing bleeding or discoloring.<br><br>you should be able to search for a few threads in regards to this on the forum previously,<br><br>Scott

Archive
02-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Posted By: <b>keyway</b><p>I would think the gum on a stamp might be easier to remove with steam. Hold it over the spout of a coffe or tea pot and it should come loose. Then put it between paper, face side and wax paper, gummed side and put a weight on it until dry.

Archive
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian C.</b><p>Helmar stamps were not issued with gum on the back. If they are adhered to paper, it is because someone added glue or paste to the reverse for that purpose.