PDA

View Full Version : Woodling's daughter on Antiques Roadshow

Archive
02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Posted By: <b>writehooks</b><p>Did anyone else see Gene Woodling's daughter on Antiques Roadshow from Dallas this weekend? She brought along her dad's binder of signed photos (mostly Yankees), along with some autographed baseballs and 19 of 20 of Gene's major league contracts. The appraiser estimated the total archive at around $80,000. <br><br>I'm curious if anyone recalls other instances of offspring of ex-major leaguers being featured on Roadshow??

Archive
02-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>The relation of Kid Nichols brought his effects to the Antiques Roadshow. Included an album of signed congratulatory letters to Kid Nichols after he was elected to the Hall, including from Cobb and Connie Mack.

Archive
02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>That was the second daughter of a former major leaguer on this season already...and the show just started in January. Earl McNeely's daughter was on...she brought along her dad's 1924 World Series pin/pendant and a team panorama that was signed by the whole team including Walter Johnson. The appraiser valued both items at a total of $10,000 which I think is too low...IMO the photo probably brings that by itself and who knows what the WS Pendant sells for....McNeely had the game winning hit in the seventh game.

Archive
02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>I didn't watch the show, but I can tell you through experience (as well as the experience of a trusted antique dealer that I know) that Antiques Roadshow is out of their mind with their estimates most of the time. How these &quot;experts&quot; create these numbers...I'd like to know. From above, it doesn't sound like $80,000 to me.<br><br>DJ<br><br>

Archive
02-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Joey Settle</b><p>The estimate probably wasn't too far off as she also had 3 or 4 of his world series rings. If anything, I thought it was a little on the low side.

Archive
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Yep...it was either a little low or right on the money. She had every single one of his contracts, a book completely filled with autographed photos of Yankee stars, three World Series rings and three or four team signed baseballs of Yankee championship teams. She made a comment that this was just &quot;some&quot; of the stuff she had as she had a lot more at home.

Archive
02-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>Wasn't the expert who appraised the pieces Mike Gutierrez of PSA/DNA?

Archive
02-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Yes. Below is Gutierrez' bio on the show's website. Includes a link allowing you to watch the video of all his appraisals.<br><br><a href="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/gutierrez_mike.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/gutierrez_mike.html</a>

Archive
02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Thanks for the link on the Woodling collection. I agree that the estimate based on what I saw is fair and might even be a little low with the 3 World Series rings which are absolutely beautiful.<br>Also check out the Satchell Page watch which was purchased from a pawn shop for $25. A great piece of memorabilia.