PDA

View Full Version : Deadball era/home runs

Archive
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Dwight</b><p>Just looking over my great-uncle's pitching stats on SABR and noticed he never gave up a home run during his 25-year career (1909-1934 all in the minor leagues). I realize this was the deadball era, but it seems the ball would have carried out once in a great while. Isn't this highly unusual??

Archive
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>No inside the park homers? And IIR wasn't what we call a ground rule double a homer too back then?<br><br>Quite impressive non the less.<br><br>Steve

Archive
01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Dwight</b><p>My first thought was perhaps home runs weren't part of the stats, but I see other players in the same era hit a few - not many. Also has a category that recorded earned runs, which is a little more challenging to score than HRs...

Archive
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>The stat may not have been kept at every stop he made. The SABR database is nowhere near complete.

Archive
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Dwight</b><p>The Minor League Register stats didn't include home runs, either. Though, it did record more challenging stats -- earn runs, walks, strike outs and ERA...