PDA

View Full Version : Old Judge N172 Cards - Misc Follow Up

Archive
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Posted By: <b>MEWheat</b><p>Joe, Jay &amp; Richard:<br><br>Congrats on authoring a very informative book that I am sure will have a significant impact on many collectors for years. It definitely surpassed my expectations. <br><br>There were so many interesting tidbits detailed in the book, it lead me to several questions. Rather than exchange e-mails and keep the info private, I thought I would put forth these questions for all to hear &amp; discuss. <br><br>What was surprised you the most while writing the book? I am sure something stands out. How about your favorite chapters? I enjoyed the &quot;Top 100 Scarcest Cards&quot; section. What research did you find was the most appreciated? How about your favorite sidebar?<br><br>I really enjoyed reading quick bio's on all the players. I found alot of interesting things in that section, including info about the 3 ambidextrous pitchers. I guess the item that surprised me the most was that I never realized the majority of the players (about 40% of the 521 known subjects) in this set were pictured in 5 poses. I was under the impression most players had only 1 or 2 poses.<br><br>I would also like to hear your conjecture about the &quot;printing&quot; anomalies as in the Zimmer 511-4 pose we discussed. For background, I wrote Jay &amp; Joe about a Zimmer variation. The Zimmer in my collection appears to show him pitching with the ball in mid air (the standard pose has no ball). There was conjecture that the ball might be a printing spot and Jay indicated that printing anomalies may be common.<br><br>Thoughts?<br><br>MEWheat<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Archive
01-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe_G.</b><p>MEWheat,<br><br>I'd be even more interested in hearing the readers answer the same questions as to what they enjoy most about the book, what was the biggest surprise, etc.<br><br>Personally, I like being able to leaf through all the poses of my favorite players. No matter how long I collect, I will never own all nine Deacon White poses, heck one of the poses is unique (portrait). The book offers a one-stop-shop to study the set in more detail than previously possible. Among other things, this allows a collector to better define a subset(s) of interest.<br><br>Highlight of co-authoring book: Two really . . .<br>1) Sharing the project with Ernie Harwell, a true baseball legend.<br>2) The opportunity to work with and study Jay Miller's collection as well as Richard Masson. The collections at the MET (Burdick collection), BB HOF, and others weren't too shabby either.<br><br>My favorite Chapter: <b>Overview - Old Judge at a Glance</b> (one of the shortest, but I like it)<br><br>My favorite Sidebar: <b>Tools of the Trade</b> A big thank you to <b>Rob Niederman</b> for his assistance with this sidebar, I now want to find a nice &quot;wood and brass&quot; camera.<br><br>My favorite Spread: <b>California League Cards</b>, needs no explanation.<br><br>So let's hear some feedback from some of the readers. Who will be the firt to offer up a new pose? We discovered many during the writing of the book.<br><br>And to answer your question about card 511-4, the ball is in Zimmer's right hand. Your example in which a lighter colored object about the size of a baseball appears at the left border of the card is likely a developing anomaly. A piece (or splattering) of dirt on the negative while developing the albumen paper is one of many possibilities to account for your card.<br><br>Best Regards,<br>Joe Gonsowski<br><br>

Archive
01-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Posted By: <b>JudgeDred2</b><p>I haven't had time to thoroughly read &quot;the book&quot; so this is something that could be in the book, if so, please let me know and I will locate that information. <br><br>I was wondering about the different backgrounds used in the photos. I'm sure the backgrounds used were from the different studios that took the pictures. Can anyone comment on the backgrounds and the different photographers that took the pictures? So far I'm in total awe of this book. <br><br>THANKS!

Archive
01-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I like the baseball field background used by the Des Moines team photographer. I like those Des Moines uniforms too.