PDA

View Full Version : 1939 Goudey Premiums R303A and R303B

Archive
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Greetings, what do you guys think of the 1939 Goudey Premiums set R303A &amp; B? They are sharp looking cards I think. How significant is this set? Many collectors? etc<br>Thanks<br>

Archive
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>These cards are FANTASTIC. The images are beautiful, and so is the artwork on the back (the same artwork from the National Chicle Rabbit Maranville &quot;How To&quot; booklets that were included in the high number issue of Batter-Ups.<br><br>They're not that widely collected, and they're tough to find in high grade, both for the same reason - their size. They're fairly inexpensive, except the obvious ones like DiMaggio. Best of luck if you decide to make a run at the set!<br><br>-Al

Archive
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Hi, thanks for the reply. I also like this set. I wonder why these cards are not widely collected? Maybe the large size format? The Exhibit cards are also large format and they seem to be very popular. I like the look of these cards. I think many of the players depicted have a nicer looking card then their 1939 Playball counterpart.<br>Take care

Archive
01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Posted By: <b>JDRUM</b><p>I love the set, but I think that the size and the fact they are void of any team insignias affect the overall popularity.

Archive
01-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Jdrum, my rule of thumb is to collect what you like. Who cares what other collectors think. If you are happy with a card that is all that matters. I think I might pick up a few of these. They seem to be rather scarce though.<br>Take care.

Archive
01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Posted By: <b>JDRUM</b><p>I think you should collect whatever you like. Enjoy!

Archive
01-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Jdrum, do you collect the 1939 R303's? <br>

Archive
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhett Yeakley</b><p>Richard, you shouldn't have much trouble putting to gether an R303-B set, they are pretty plentiful (they come either sepia or black/white -- I prefer the sepia). The R303-A set on the other hand is quite a bit tougher (and smaller in size). The A-set is a bigger set (more subjects) and includes a bunch of great images not in the B-set.<br><br>On a related note the V351 set (the Canadian version of the above sets) is exponentially tougher than even the R303-A set, and includes a mix of Major Leaguers and a few Candian Minor Leaguers from the Toronto &amp; Montreal teams.<br><br>-Rhett