PDA

View Full Version : Stainman

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Has anyone used stainman in New York to remove stains? He had a 2 page article done on him in SCD I am told. I haven't read it yet. Dan.<br><br>

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>I have not and would consider that card alteration and unacceptable.

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>is it possible PSA has recieved cards from this guy and have been graded as such (not noticing the previous stains).

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Doug</b><p>Here's a link to the article: <a href="http://www.sgccard.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=1978449&amp;page=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.sgccard.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=1978449&amp;page=1</a>

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>Rand...it is more than likely all the grading co's have graded cards that have had stains removed!

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I am bidding on an SGC graded card from the guy now on ebay, I guess there is no way to really tell if he worked on it or not. I personally do not care when buying for myself but I do agree with Jim technically. Since I collect, I would prefer a better appearance while the card rests in my plastic sheet in my binder. That is if I don't trip over the huge pile of broken slabs I have in my basement getting to the binder.<br><br>

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>if i had a card and it could look better and get graded, i have no problem with it. <br><br>why is it an issue when Paintings from the Masters have restoration all the time, the Mona Lisa was restored among many many others. its not uncommon for old posters or papers to be restored, classic cars, ect. ect.

Archive
01-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Rand,<br><br>If the stain was removed and it was disclosed I have no problem with it either--it is when it is done with no disclosure that I have a problem with.<br><br>Jim

Archive
01-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>hey Jim, i agree to a point... any restoration on Fine Art, Autos, Homes ect, are disclosed. but we both know dealers are not going to say anything, once the card is in plastic its a free pass for any restoring process that may have occured

Archive
01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Rand,<br><br>Agree-most dealers will try to sneak it through grading companies and if they are successful its like it never happened.<br><br>Jim

Archive
01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob D.</b><p>Assuming that Dick Towle's statements about his work being undetectable are true, I'd like to see Kevin S. examine a couple of cards that Towle has worked on and see if he agrees. My guess is that Kevin might know more ways to detect such work than do the folks at PSA, SGC, etc.