PDA

View Full Version : Is there Fire where there is Smoke on this Auction/Ebay sale ?

Archive
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeremy</b><p>Today, I was going to bid on a card that just ended on ebay (Item number: 260339631129). The card was a T210 Series 6 card of Goosetree graded by SGC Authentic. The card looked familar, so I gaggled it and it had just recently been sold at the Goodwin auction for $377 plus juice. As I was contemplating bidding on this example, I realized I had seen it before and remembered having a conversation with the seller before he pulled it from ebay months ago and gave it to Goodwin to sell. I emailed the seller (Stain-Man) and he explained that he did in fact originally own the card, then put it on ebay, only to pull it from ebay and give it to Goodwin to auction, which it sold in the fall, and now is back on ebay being sold by the very person that sold it to Goodwin. He explained that the card was in fact auctioned on goodwin, another gentlemen bought it, then this gentlemen knew him and asked him to sell it on ebay. While there is nothing wrong with doing this, I have to wonder just how a card goes full circle, sells for $400 3 months ago, and today ends on Ebay for $105. The consigner to Stain-Man owned the card for a few months and lost $300 by allowing the ebay seller, Stain-Man, to sell it when he(Stain-Man) originally owned it and auctioned it to Goodwin. So is there Fire behind this smoke ?

Archive
01-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I was underbidder, and just hated seeing it go for so little. I was surprised at the lack of last second bids. And at the ending price. I deem it one of the more difficult series 6 cards.

Archive
01-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Posted By: <b>David McDonald</b><p>Very curious merry-go-round pedigree this card has. Ever since Frank posted his beautiful T210-6 Goostree back in ought-seven I have been desirous of acquiring one. <a href="http://tinyurl.com/7asn39" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/7asn39</a> Today was my lucky day! Although it is hardly in the same league as Frank's, these don't come along very often and I am glad to have it, beater or no. Price was on the low side, too; no complaints there.

Archive
01-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>&quot;He explained that the card was in fact auctioned on goodwin, another gentlemen bought it, then this gentlemen knew him and asked him to sell it on ebay. While there is nothing wrong with doing this, I have to wonder just how a card goes full circle, sells for $400 3 months ago, and today ends on Ebay for $105.&quot;<br><br><br><br>Wow. Thats bad.<br><br>Even if there is a possibility of innocence... it reeks of shenanigans.<br><br>

Archive
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Stain-man is Dick Towle<br><br><a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/ForTradeSale" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/ForTradeSale</a>#

Archive
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeremy</b><p>David - You got a great deal on that card... I submitted an early bid, but never came back for more, as my judgement got cloudy on the merry-go-round of the card... Either way, I don't see another Goosetree ever going this low unless it is missing half the card ! <br><br>I don't know where the fire is on this but, between Stain-Man, Goodwin, and the Goodwin Goosetree Winner, something does not smell right in Denmark. (And it ain't the cheese...)<br><br>At the very least, the guy who won the card 3 months back, held it for a short time and then lost 70% on the card at today's closing price on ebay by giving it to the orginal Goodwin consignor... Hmmmm....

Archive
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>I don't want to take this off track but can someone tell me how tough is the T210-6 Horn? <br><br>Is it possible that people didn't vigorously bid on the Goostree card because it was in an AUTH holder and also because people (like myself) that don't follow the T210 series had no idea how tough the card is? <br><br>One more thought, if a card is TOUGH and only a few people are looking for the card does that make the card more valuable to the hobby or just to those that collect this series of card? I think I probably answered the question on my own (supply/demand) but how do others feel about this? <br><br>To add to the thread. The card did have a very curious route from auction house to ebay.

Archive
01-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Congratulations David McD. Sorry about pushing up your win price, but when it was down under a hundred I just couldn't let it go for that, I didn't need 2 of 'em but that was a bargain price. Good buy!!!<br><br><br><br><br><br>I think hardly anyone collects series 6. A few type card collectors. A few guys seeking all of one town/team. And then Stengel out there is quite similar to the block that Honus has on T206 collectors. If you really aren't ever going to pay for a Wagner, there's no way you can completely complete T206; same goes for Stengel in T206. To the extent that Stengel costs less, that is countered by the diminished availability. Truthfully now, don't you see more T206 Wagners offered for sale or auction in a given time period than you see T210 Stengels?<br><br><br><br>So it is a demand thing. The cards are so tough and so obscure that few folks chase them. Even few of the guys here... and the guys here are masters of obscurity (among other matters)!!