PDA

View Full Version : Warning | Scam Artist Jose Hernandez is back

Archive
12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Minyoung Sohn</b><p>Hello all,<br><br>This board helped me earlier this year when I was trying to verify the authenticity of a 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig card sold to me by Jose Hernandez (eBay ID: dunkindoughnuts2008). I really appreciated the help and I found this board to be a great resource even though I rarely post.<br><br>I think that he is back under the ID &quot;quality-items-seller.&quot; He most recently attempted to sell a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle in a fake PSA holder on eBay. Please be careful of items that appear to good to be true. His pattern is to offer highly sought after cards in modestly high grades. The counterfeit cards are in fake PSA holders, which I learned can be identified by scrutinizing the LABEL AND FONT.<br><br><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=250337510258" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=250337510258</a><br><br>Thanks,<br>Min<br><br>-----<br><br>P.S. And look at this one too . . . another bad card, from what I can tell.<br><br><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=250312366194" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=250312366194</a>

Archive
12-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimi</b><p>Notice he has been buying a bunch of items for exactly $1.00 each to get his feedback number higher, too.<br><br>Jimi<br><br>Always looking for T222 Fatimas!

Archive
12-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Min,<br><br>You are correct about the 1952 Mantle. The PSA holder has clearly been opened and shows significant signs of tampering around the edges.<br><br>Edited to add: <br><br>The Goudey Ruth appears to have no depth. I would guess it's no more than a color photocopy of an original (i.e., a flat piece of paper)

Archive
12-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank B</b><p><br> Nice how he puts that piece of paper over the cert # so the card can't<br>be looked up.

Archive
12-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Posted By: <b>mike wrenn</b><p>I recently wrote in the thread Scary fakes. Am I the only one who thinks that PSA should get out in front of this problem as a public company. As in the past these high value cards have sold as fake cards in fake holders.<br>Where is PSA and the FBI counterfit division. I believe it's only a matter of time when one of this cards are sold at a major auction house. This can in time diminish<br>the validity of PSA in the grading business. I can go on but would like to here other opinions on PSA and this problem.

Archive
12-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>If anything PSA should contact Rudy Tang and let him know that <br><br>someone may be using his name illegally. The me page for the auction<br><br>claims the seller is Rudy tang (who happens to own a 52 mantle in PSA 8)<br><br><br><br>I would email him myself but he did not allow for that option.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Steve<br><br><br>edited to add: I just now emailed Joe and advised him that this guy is using Rudy Tang<br>as his name. I also gave him a link to the auction. <br><br>Steve

Archive
12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>you'd think after selling a $12,000 ruth card he could buy a scanner for some real pictures.

Archive
12-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave Haas</b><p>After viewing the cards it appears he lays the counterfeit on top of the plastic slab and photographs it. That's why there is no glare from a flash. There should be more of the side showing if it was encased.

Archive
12-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>I'm thinking he sold the Ruth to himself, thus becoming eligible <br>to become a powerseller. Ebay should be ashamed of themselves for making this creep<br>a powerseller after 1 transaction!

Archive
12-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Posted By: <b>David Smith</b><p>If I remember correctly, the person who &quot;bought&quot; the Ruth card hadn't bid on any other sports cards or memorabilia. All they had bid on was computers and related eqipment and devices.<br><br>So, it goes something like this; &quot;Bid on a lap top. Bid on a lap top. Bid on a device associated with a lap top. Buy a Babe Ruth card for $12,000 dollars. Bid on a device associated with a lap top. Bid on a lap top.&quot; etc.<br><br>David