PDA

View Full Version : Scary PSA Fakes -- discussion on Post-war board

Archive
12-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Posted By: <b>PC</b><p>For those that don't puruse the other boards much, you might be interested in this thread ...<br><br><a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/579392/thread/1228269653/last-1228404681/1952+Topps+Jackie+on+eBay" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/579392/thread/1228269653/last-1228404681/1952+Topps+Jackie+on+eBay</a><br><br>These faked PSA flips/holders (and probably faked cards) are really scary. At this point, it looks like you simply can't trust that holders/flips are legitimate. Which is a shame, because grading really facilitated the ability to sell and purchase cards over the internet.<br><br>I would love to hear from the major grading companies about what, if anything, they are doing to protect their product and their brands. At this point, I don't know why anyone would purchase any slabbed high end or otherwise expensive card without knowing the provenance, knowing the seller personally, or being able to inspect the card in person before buying -- all of which defeats the primary purpose of having garded cards.

Archive
12-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Posted By: <b>George L.</b><p>Extremely scary. Con men never stop.

Archive
12-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Doug</b><p>If someone is out there making fake labels, they may have access to holders too which is even scarier.

Archive
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Fake labels and holders (and if you snap a holder open carefully you have the parts you need) would allow someone to encapsulate a reprint, or a laser copy of a real card. That's bad news.

Archive
12-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I think those cards are part of a large group of PSA fakes that were sold on Craigslist about a year ago. <br><br><a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1199793798/last-1200161094/PSA+counterfeit+cards!!!+Beware" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1199793798/last-1200161094/PSA+counterfeit+cards!!!+Beware</a>

Archive
12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>The bar codes are definitely different. But which ones are correct. PSA needs to respond on here and do an article in the SMR about what collectors need to look for in the fakes. Is their a pattern to the bar codes on the fakes ?

Archive
12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>REPRODUCING THE PSA CASE IS SIMPLE!<br><br>Take a look at this auction....<br><br>Card graded by PCG... used to be cardgraders.com... this case is IDENTICAL to that of PSA.<br><br>I had first hand knowledge that the person that started this company simply sent a PSA case to china and had hundreds of thousands reproduced for almost nothing. They are no longer in business but the cases exist! <br><br>Someone else is just simply reproducing PSA labels. Very simple to do.

Archive
12-06-2008, 05:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard Simon</b><p>Looks like the scamming in the card business has now caught up to the scamming in the autograph business. How sad that it has come to this.<br>=<br><br>I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.<br>Unknown author <br>--<br>We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.<br>No retreat baby, no surrender.<br>The Boss

Archive
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Buy the card, not the label. The scammers get better and better each day, there is only so much PSA can do to protect against these thieves and PSA should not be blamed for anything here except being the number 1 grading service and a target for the scammers.

Archive
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Richie</b><p>Dan. I agree with you that PSA will be the ones to take the blame. I bought a 1952 bowman Mantle PSA 6. I paid $1000. I thought it was totally legit until I read this board that someone else had bought fake cards in PSA holders from craigslist. The guy was from Southern California I am out $1000. Its a shame how good they look in the holders. This is only one i have that i know is a fake in a PSA holder. I would rather pay few extra dollars hoping i an getting a legit card.

Archive
12-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>That stinks Richie and I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Do you know who you bought it from? How did you pay? I would think you could go after that person especially if they are in California, there are some GREAT lawyers in California. Have you contacted the FBI and internet fraud? Jerry Spillman has links to those sites I believe. Dan.

Archive
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I spoke to PSA they are aware of the guy. Jose Hernandez was his name. I am stupid i deposited money into his bank account(bank of america account). There was another guy who posted on here that bought 9000+ worth of cards from this guy. So i guess I am kinda lucky that i was browsing this website. I would of bought more cards myself. But to pursue it i was in contact with the police there, It didnt go anywhere. I just counted my loses. And learned a lesson. I bought of the B/S/T here and nothing but positive experiences.

Archive
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Posted By: <b>EARL</b><p>I have found this forum very informative and scary. I just want to add that what I have noticed on some of the PSA fakes is the bold lettering/font print. I looked through all of my PSA and the print is regular - non bold and the numbers are dead-on lined up. I see in several (unless it is the scan angle of some cards) the numbers overlap and that is a dead give away the flip is fake IMO. What do you think?<br><br>EARL

Archive
12-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Sean C</b><p>There was a nice thread about these types of issues (and more specifically about fake coin slabs) over on the PSA boards on Sunday. Sure enough, it went &quot;poof&quot; on Monday. <br><br>It's certainly an issue that has me concerned.

Archive
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>This has been a very common practice over the last few years. I have seen it in the coin hobby for years. I think some it is coming from Japan and maybe other countries, but most of the better fakes or switches are coming form this country. Just have to be real careful and do most of the grading yourself or with people you know<br><br>Jimmy<br><br>

Archive
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>mike wrenn</b><p>Regarding PSA, I'm sure there aware that this is a problem. <br><br>My first question is why is the FBI not involved, and why no press release from them.<br><br><br><br>PSA should post a comparison of a real graded card IE: the 52 Jackie Robinson listed on this board and the fake one that is at issue. I'm sure there are many known other and I'm sure more will come out when the news hits from PSA,If it ever does.<br><br><br><br>They are a public company and have the responsibility to be proactive and get in front of this problem, By educating, first there memebers through a mass email<br><br>campaign. This will filter out into the industry and become widly known that fakes are being reproduced with there holders. I would not have known if not for this board. I find it troubling that PSA has had a weak response so far. If these fakes are easy to produce, it just a matter of time when it can become wide-spread even in the vintage area. Opinions welcomed