PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a separate forum for discussing possible scams and con artists?

Archive
12-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt E.</b><p>

Archive
12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I'll second the motion. Though I've had great dealings with almost everyone I've dealt with here on the BST, it's always good to know who to avoid.

Archive
12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I don't see it happening guys. As much as I have no issue with outing bad situations I am not going to deal with something like that. I can't even imagine the repercussions. I am open to listening to discussion but I can't imagine letting that kind of forum happen. Just too many issues surrounding it.......regards

Archive
12-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I think a separate forum for such would be unfortunate, at this point in time.<br><br><br>A separate place would only encourage such posts... there's a place for it, let's do it!<br><br><br>I'd like to see fewer, but I'd like a lot of stuff. <br><br><br>What I'd like to see are more threads about cards... not about collectors vs dealers, OJ, eBay, Paypal, or slabbing companies.

Archive
12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug</b><p>It's not a bad idea, but I'd hate to see things get so bad that it would be necessary.

Archive
12-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Kenneth A. Cohen</b><p>Probably an unnecessary can of worms. I had a BST experience where someone sold some me serverely trimmed items but described them as slightly trimmed. Just a difference of opinion I suppose. Not necessarily a con artist. The point is that some folks might be undeservedly pubicly flogged if such a thread was established.

Archive
12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Ken McMillan</b><p>I posted about on such an auction recently. Seller e-mailed me a rude message as he didn't want the facts I knew out to vintage collectors. Still glad I did so as dishonest is dishonest. Didn't respond to the e-mail as I didn't feel that responding or giving this person the time of day was appropriate. Scammers are scammers. However, I do not think a separate forum would be worth while. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Kmac

Archive
12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Joann</b><p>Good call Leon. A separate area will just encourage people to make accusations that may become increasingly baseless, like it was getting a few months ago (and has thankfully largely abated). With only a few exceptionss, people are now pretty careful to only post these concerns on the main board in very egregious or certain instances. <br><br>I don't think it's possible to create that area and not have it eventually devolve into finger-pointing corner with people hauling out the ban hammer even with only perceived possible nuanced thinking that someone did something wrong. <br><br>Too hard to fix a reputation once someone has recklessly and mistakenly called it into question. Nothing but trouble there.<br><br>Joann

Archive
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>Perhaps someone could moderate a completely new forum based on this subject. Leon could provide a link to the new forum with a disclaimer (if necessary).

Archive
12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt E.</b><p>I was thinking more along the lines of the section being informative, educational and helpful to all. <br><br><br><br>Could cover things such as <br><br><br><br>Beware of Ebay ID.............<br><br>Cards were stolen, <br>Cards never mailed<br><br>Ebay ID change, seller back at it again<br><br>Is this real?<br><br>Fakes circulating<br><br>Won't respond to Emails<br><br>Bad trade alert with board member...<br><br><br><br>and yes a name mentioned when called for. Plenty of good can come from this area as well if used correctly. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Matt

Archive
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>Matt, those are some pretty good ideas, would you be willing to moderate this forum? I bet it would be a bull board VBC members will visit. The only thing would be to keep people from posting link after link of the threads in this forum to the main VBC forum.

Archive
12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark L</b><p>If you do start one of these boards, you better enlist a couple lawyers to help moderate it.

Archive
12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>How about know who you are doing business with and avoiding the scammers<br>all together?<br><br><br><br>Steve