PDA

View Full Version : T206 Books

Archive
11-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam Onello</b><p>Hi, I've been getting into collecting this set along with my father. I really respect the vast wealth of knowledge on this board. I enjoy reading all of the post. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books out there about the 206 set? Like a whos who of the players and just general information? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Adam Onello

Archive
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Posted By: <b>ChiSoxFan</b><p>Check out this post from 2 day before yours...<br><br><a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1227390953/last-1227393578/T206+Book" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1227390953/last-1227393578/T206+Book</a>

Archive
11-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...most of the T206 threads from this Board on my website, in a way that you can really go from topic to topic with some ease. Feel free to check it out...<br><br>_ <u></u> _ <u></u> _ <u></u> _ <u></u> _ <u></u> _ <u></u> _ _ <br><br>Visit <a href="http://www.t206collector.com" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.t206collector.com</a> for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Archive
11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>ADAM pick up a copy of the bill james &quot;historical baseball abstract&quot; (or go to a library and check it out). has nothing to do w/cards but it is a must read. also ritter,s &quot;glory of their times&quot;....can buy this one cheap on ebay or look for the vhs if you still have acess to this old technology.

Archive
11-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Dennis suggests 2 good books. Mr. James' first Historical Abstract was much more enjoyable, to me, than the second one. Affordable copies are on ABEbooks, Alibris, and the like.

Archive
11-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>mike wrenn</b><p>I think there might be an article or two in the complete run of VCBC magazines. I will check all of my mags and see if there are any. I can copy them for you and mail them to you. Let me check this weekend and get back to you<br>mike

Archive
11-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Frank,<br><br>Are you serious? You didn't enjoy the Ritter book as much as the James? If so, that's too bad, but we're all entitled to our opinions.<br><br>I love both of those books nearly equally, but for different reasons. There were many great biographical tidbits in the <i>Abstract</i> , but much of the SABRmetrics really holds no appeal to me. I'll take baseball's human side over its statistics any day. That's where the personalities and hearts are.

Archive
11-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Posted By: <b>John H.</b><p>Jodi, he meant the first Abstract was more enjoyable than the second Abstract.<br><br>Two other excellent reference books are Deadball Stars of the National League and Deadball Stars of the American League.

Archive
11-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>mike wrenn</b><p>I found about 6 really good articles from VCBC on T206. I can copy them for you and mail them out. Let me know asap so I can have them out to you Saturday. Send me your Mailing info.Don't worry about any copying or shipping<br>cost. A pleasure to help.

Archive
11-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Peace... As suggested, I liked Mr. James 1st Historical Abstract MUCH more than the updated version, which is a good book, too. And for a great read on the HOF, read his Politics of Glory from 1994, not the rewritten Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame.<br><br><br>Mr. Ritter's book is amazing, and we all owe a debt of gratitude to him. I have the book. The updated book, the 33 rpm lp, and that wonderful set of CDs. EVERYONE here who chases tobacco cards should get the CDs... listening to Mr. Ritter, and the ballplayers, it is like being a kid, staying up past bedtime, listening at the door of heaven, and hearing Davy Jones and Sam Crawford talk about Cobb and Johnson and Wagner...<br><br>ONE FINE BOOK for the fan of early 20th century baseball...

Archive
11-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>I agree, Frank.<br>And I especially appreciate your rich prose: 'listening at the door of heaven.'<br><br>all the best,<br><br>barry

Archive
11-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Frank,<br><br>Sorry, I went back and reread your post after being informed that I misunderstood your point. <br><br>Yes, you are entirely correct--those cassettes/CDs that came out a few years ago are incredible! You put it better that I ever could, so there's no need to add more to the intent of your statement. I had Larry sign my first edition of the book, as well as the cassette edition and booklet from the newer audio release. I wish I owned that original record, but I would never shell out for it. To me, the greater value of those recordings lies in the newer release. In this case, for me, it's the information that matters and is collectible, not the rarity of the vinyl. My only wish is that the interview with London, Ontario native George &quot;Mooney&quot; Gibson had been included. It would have been a treat to hear the voice of my hometown's most gifted ballplayer. <br><br>One day, I would love to do an audio release of the players I conducted interviews with. There are about 120 90 minute tapes in all--everyone from Red Hoff, who debuted in 1911, to Johnny Klippstein, who pitched his last game in '68. Only 4 or 5 are still with us now.

Archive
11-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>do it, Jodi.<br>i'd love to have one and i'm sure many others feel the same way.<br><br>best,<br><br>barry

Archive
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Hey Jodi...<br><br>I did a couple of interviews. It was for the National Baseball Museum's oral history project. Is that what you did it for?? <br><br>I keep thinking of attempting a few more.<br><br>FW