PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawing a lot from an auction

Archive
10-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Matthew</b><p>Just wondering after looking through the Mastro auction - why would a lot be withdrawn? Could you just decide you wanted to keep an item & call 'em up? Or does that usually indicate that something is wrong?<br />There are a couple lots that have been withdrawn, including this one<br /><br /><a href="http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=87816" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=87816</a><br />

Archive
10-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>In my experience, withdrawn lots have been ones that have been proven to be problematic or of questionable authenticity. I have called Mastro, Lelands, H & S and others to express concerns at times. This has led to a number of withdrawn lots (mostly with regard to autographs or memorabilia).<br /><br />Regarding these graded Mrs. Sherlock Pins, I doubt there is an authenticity issue. Perhaps the consignor perceived a lack of interest/bidding and requested his lot be removed. I am not sure whether there is wording in Mastro's consignment contract to prevent that scenario.

Archive
10-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I hope that's not the case - I agree with the objections above if a lot can be withdrawn due to "lack of interest." <br />Have you contacted Mastro to inquire as to the reason it was pulled? Maybe the lot was stolen from the Mastro warehouse...

Archive
10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd C</b><p>In their August auction, I had an item that sold for 1/2 of it's value from recent sales. <br /><br />I placed a call to Mastro a day before the closing to inquire about pulling the item and they would not do it. There was already a number of bids and they expected the card to increase on the final day. I knew that it would increase but the amount was far less than I hoped for.<br /><br /><br />

Archive
10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Max Weder</b><p>Another possibility why an item may be withdrawn from an auction is if there is a question as to whether the consignor has good title to the item.<br /><br />Max

Archive
10-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Mastro wouldn't pull a lot just because the consignor asked them to. I would think there would have to be a material problem with the lot.<br /><br />Over the years I had two lots pulled I was bidding on. One they decided there was authenticity problem, and the other there was an ownership problem. In each case, Mastro contacted me and on their own initiative explained to me what was the specific issue with the lot. As a bidder, I wasn't left in the dark.