PDA

View Full Version : List of teams from 1867

Archive
10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Posted By: <b>brian</b><p>is ther a website that would show a list of baseball teams from 1867?

Archive
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p><br /><br /><br /><a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/</a><br /><br />You're going to like this web site. The teams only go back to 1871 but the information is great. Rather than tell you where to find the information in the website I'll just let you navigate and see what you stumble upon. You'll find it's fairly intuitive. Enjoy.

Archive
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>Brian, <br /><br />One more note... look at the top of the main link box above. You'll see something called "Vintage Links". Click on that and you'll find a wealth of links and information available to you. Select the "Historical Sites" link. If you're a little morose you might like the "Deadball Era" link.

Archive
10-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>See if you can pick up a copy of Marshall Wright's book "The National Association of Base Ball Players 1857-1870", published by McFarland. It's extremely comprehensive, with teams, rosters, and a chapter devoted to each of those seasons.

Archive
10-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Bian</b><p>thanks guys for the information

Archive
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Chris Counts</b><p>Brian,<br /><br />I typed "baseball" and "1867" into Google and came up with some fascinating stuff. It turns out both Cincinnati amd Washington went on highly publicized tours, and the schedules and scores from the tours are available online, so you can easily get a long list of teams from that year. I discovered the first formal teams started that year in several states, and the first segragated games among African-Americans started as well. Also, I found there's a tournament that takes places in Dearborn, Michigan that's based on the 1867 baseball rules ...

Archive
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I've often said that 1867 was a key year in the history of organized baseball. Besides the tours that Chris pointed out, the game began to explode across America after the Civil War, and the number of new teams that applied for admission to the NAABP in 1867 was enormous. Also, there seems to be a fair amount of memorabilia that dates to 1867, particularly among graphic baseball sheet music, which offered some of the best illustrations of teams, and of the game. It was also the beginning of the end of the heydey for amateur baseball, which would only last for three more years with the formation of the National Association in 1871.