PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ebay quandary

Archive
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Randall Adams</b><p>I would like some feedback on this situation, I recently had a buyer who emailed me about a couple of cards that he won, he stated that he was not happy with the cards because the scans did not show the creases on the cards. Here is the kicker, I just noticed that he left positive feedback for the same two cards that he was not satisfied with. I already said that I would refund the money after the cards were returned. However, had I noticed the positive feedback I might not have been so inclined to refund.<br /><br />

Archive
09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p><br />Why would you not refund because he had already left positive feedback? If the scans were bad and didn't show the cards properly, the guy deserves his money back IMO.

Archive
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Randall Adams</b><p>I thought the scans were pretty clear, you be the judge:<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250288315181" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250288315181</a><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250288314309" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250288314309</a>

Archive
09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I agree with Dave - You should do the right thing regardless of the feedback situation.<br /><br />edited to add:<br /><br />"Return policy<br />Item must be returned within:<br /><br />7 Days<br /><br />Refund will be given as:<br /><br />Money Back<br /><br />Return policy details:<br /><br />Item must be returned within: 7 Days"

Archive
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Randall Adams</b><p>I will still refund, but it was a week and half between leaving feedback and asking for a refund.

Archive
09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>As an aside, I've lost a couple of raw Obak auctions to that buyer, and each time he had the card slabbed, put it back up on Ebay a couple of weeks later, and I won it for the approximately the same amount of money (give or take 10 bucks). Then after receiving the cards from him I immediately busted them out of their holders. A bit of a Rube Goldberg vibe to the whole experience.

Archive
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Ed Hans</b><p>Randall,<br /> Your grade was accurate and your photos clear, but the crease(s) still should have been mentioned in the item description. Even though you are technically in the right, a refund is in order.

Archive
09-24-2008, 06:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p><br />Unless something else is hidden in the scans that can't be seen the creases look to be obvious. I'd still refund, then its up to you if it would be better to just block the buyer from bidding on your auctions again.

Archive
09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...of course.<br /><br />As an aside, even though you provide the scans, we cannot judge what the scans show versus what the card in hand shows. I can see the creases in the scans, but it may be that under naturaly light card in hand the creases look a bit more, well, creasey...<br><br>_ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ _ <br /><br />Visit <a href="http://www.t206collector.com" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.t206collector.com</a> for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Archive
09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>It's usually pretty easy for me to make these calls.<br /><br />If it happened to me, and I got the card(s) and wasn't happy, how would I want to be treated, regardless of the time or rules? However that is, is what I would do....and I do it on a regular basis.....<br /><br />Recently, someone contacted me after about 2 yrs....he bought a $50 card from me and said he didn't realize it was not Dizzy Dean (it was a large R card and PAUL DEAN was imprinted very large on the front of the card, per the series)......He asked for a refund....I sent him the refund plus the shipping......I didn't HAVE to do it but that is how I wanted to be treated so I did it.....(and this person is someone I have clashed with many times, to boot)<br /><br />regards<br />leon

Archive
09-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>Did you tell him he was daffy?

Archive
09-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>D. Bergin</b><p>As long as the cards are returned in the same condition they were sent out in and in a reasonable time frame I would refund. Just relist and move on. It's not worth the hassle.<br /><br />The feedback system is often goofy to. Sometimes when I go in and clean out my feedback box I'll inadvertently leave positive feedback for an item I haven't received yet or a payment I haven't received yet.<br /><br />Most likely this is just buyers remorse. Unless you have a good record with them already you might consider blocking them from bidding on your auctions again.

Archive
09-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Posted By: <b>David Poses</b><p>i agree with the refund votes. also, it is possible to leave a positive AND return an item. part of the transaction, in my opinion, is customer service. if your policy is to refund dissatisfied customers, you should stick to it regardless of whether the buyer (likely accidentally) left (premature) feedback. <br /><br />the golden rule applies...

Archive
09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Posted By: <b>paulstratton</b><p>Leon,<br /><br />What if it was a $1,000 card that two years later is only worth $700 (approx.) in today's market? Just an example, but the potential for abuse is there.

Archive
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Then I would have said I would give the refund at today's value or not do it. I am only nice to a point....This one was what I call a "$50 problem"......<br /><br />I always think in terms of "how big?"......small things are much easier than big ones.......<br /><br />I have a saying I use daily...... I call it my "shi* to equity ratio" In this case my shi* was very little (the card is probably worth $40-$50) so it was an easy call.....and I made the remorseful buyer happy.....