PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Fee Changes Effective Tomorrow

Archive
09-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>The long rumored ebay fee changes go into effect at midnight PST tonight. Bottom Line, here is the difference in fees that will be charged on the fixed price listing and sale of a $500 and a $1000 card:<br /><br /><b>$500 card</b><br />Old: $4 listing fee + $18.82 final value fee = ~$23<br />New: $0.35 listing fee + $27 fInal value fee = ~$27<br /><br /><b>$1000 card</b><br />Old: $4 listing fee + $36.32 final value fee = ~$40<br />New: $0.35 listing fee + $57 fInal value fee = ~$57<br /><br />I used ebcalc for the calculations, and I apologize if the numbers are off. <br /><br />

Archive
09-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Nothing like a 20-30% increase in tough economic times.

Archive
09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>brian</b><p>By this time next year, the CEO might have to change his name and move to a cabin in Montana due to the embarrassing policy changes that will continue the downward spiral of a once great business. But I could be wrong and he might find another CEO job at a Mexican pet food factory? Who will buy what is left of eBay? Google, Microsoft or Amazon?

Archive
09-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Red</b><p>When Ebay is sold I wonder if they'll make it fun for potential buyers and list themselves in an Ebay auction.

Archive
09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>not to defend eBay....<br /><br />but since these are fixed price listings...<br /><br />it looks like a person will be able to list more than 10 times the number of cards for the same initial cost.<br /><br />going by your numbers, If I wanted to take a shot and list 100 cards at a fixed price....<br />the initial old cost would have been $400<br />now it is just $35<br /><br />this pricing looks more friendly to me, realizing I only have to pay the final value fee if the item actually sells.<br /><br /><br />just a different way to look at it.<br /><br /><br />

Archive
09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Robert Klevens</b><p>One problem with the lower BIN listing fees will be tons of junk constantly being listed.

Archive
09-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>I know a lot of sellers who do not list fixed price items unless Ebay runs a promotional rate for them. I am sure that the powers that be over there noticed the spike in listings when the fixed fee promos ran and realized that they could pick up a lot of listings by making the promo rate permanent. <br /><br />Whether it will be good for us collectors and/or dealers remains to be seen. <br><br>Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Archive
09-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Vincent</b><p><br /><br />Joe D.<br /><br />You're right on !<br /><br />

Archive
09-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I thought Matt's citing of a $500 and $1000 card had to do with auction prices. I never did a fixed price listing, so I guess this doesn't apply.

Archive
09-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Iggy...</b><p>When there are millions more listings of widgets via buy-it-now, what effect do you think that has on the legitimate 7-day auction format??? As more and more widgets clog-up eBay's search engines, your probability as a seller in finding "whales" (err..."competitive bids") for your listing is diminished. Oh, and by the way, as was stated, a listing that you now get the privilege of paying more for on the back-end. Once again, ebays punishes the legitimate small-time seller. <br /><br />Lovely Day, Iggy...<br /> <br />

Archive
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>sagard</b><p>I think this format is going to be great.<br /><br />I'm going to be much more willing to get $850 for my $1000 dollar card and give Ebay an additional $20.<br /><br />Compared to getting $650 for my $1000 dollar card and paying Ebay $20 less.<br /><br />

Archive
09-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I agree with Joe D.'s point in that the $1000 and $500 example is for items sold. Sellers have to deal with lots that go unsold or potentially unsold. That's where the $4 versus 35 cents submission rate can hurt. If charges are raised but only on lots that sell, I can live with that. If the charges were raised on lots that didn't sell, I wouldn't like that.

Archive
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Chris</b><p>I like the changes. They left auctions alone for once and gave sellers greater flexibility on how they list their items. <br /><br />Auctions are ideal for some cards, but are suicide with others. This fee structure gives sellers the ability to set their price with an affordable fee.<br /><br />Buyers who want to avoid fixed price listings can restrict their search results to auctions only.

Archive
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>I think all these changes can be overwhelming at first, but I tend to just go with what works and make adjustments. We have had so many changes with eBay over the years; I tend to get use to them. I understand this year maybe different with so many of them, but it has never stopped me from listing auctions and sometimes “Buy it Now” and Store Listings. Many of the eBay changes will be issues for many of the other categories, but not so much in the sports memorabilia section and especially the vintage material. The biggest issue maybe the payment options that change in October, as many of the good old time dealers that only take checks and money orders may move away from ebay and back to the shows or flea markets.<br /><br />Jimmy<br />

Archive
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>You can sort by format if you want to limit yourself to auctions only. <br /><br />There will definitely be more stuff listed but all that does is put a premium on accurate use of key words in titles and descriptions. I rarely ever "browse" the listings; usually I key word search for the items I collect. <br><br>Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Archive
09-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Misunderestimated (Brian H)</b><p>Fixed price listings also allow sellers to include a "Best Offer" option... I believe at no extra cost (and the ultimate sale price -- is the final value fee amount).