PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Auction Preview

Archive
09-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>Noticed they put up a preview of their auction starting this Sunday.<br /><br />I love seeing these auctions where they have high end as well as low end affordable vintage items.<br /><br />I haven't gone through everything but it looks like they got a little of everything. <br /><br />

Archive
09-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>edited to be nicer...

Archive
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>?<br /><br />Don't think so. However, that sounds interesting. I wonder if I can combine my low grade T205 Shean and Barry to make a Cobb?

Archive
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony N.</b><p>At least 3 different "set vs. single" price auctions in there. I thought that debacle had passed after the Mastro Cracker Jack set tanked.

Archive
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Prizner</b><p>I would think that format would be ideal for selling a smaller set like the e93's. I also don't think the format was entirely to blame for the CJ's not meeting the consignor's lofty expectations.

Archive
09-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>on that...what is a single vs set format?<br />thanks

Archive
09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Jason - from lot #1:<br />"Bid on the complete 30-card set or bid individually on each card in separate lots. Break up the set, or keep it together; it's really your choice! At the end of the auction, the set will be sold to the highest aggregate bidding, whether that is the sum of the individual lots or the highest bid for the complete set offered in this lot. Our website automaticaly reflect whichever portion has received the highest bidding. Placing a bid on this lot constitutes bidding on the entire 30-card set."

Archive
09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>I really don't like that idea whatsoever. That is really just getting some people's hopes up, simultaneously letting others down.<br /><br />

Archive
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Posted By: <b>D. Bergin</b><p>That is a really horrible idea. While the consignor might like it..........it seems to have the potential of alienating a whole lot of bidders in an attempt to maximize the final take.<br /><br />Sometimes you just have to take a chance and make a decision. Either sell the whole set or break it up. I hate to use a hackneyed cliche but the phrase "have your cake and eat it to" seems to apply here.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I don't see the advantage of also offering it as a whole lot - is it just that it saves the bidder the headache of tracking 30 different listings?

Archive
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Posted By: <b>David Smith</b><p>The problem comes, just like people explained when Mastro used this dual auction format, when bidders are going after individual cards in the set and THEN someone puts in a HUGE bid for the entire set AFTER the 15 minute rule comes into play.<br /><br />I don't know if THIS auction company uses that rule but, if they do, then what happens is those bidders who were trying for individual cards might NOT want to bid any higher to get what they want AND they might be locked out of bidding on OTHER items in the auction that they might have been interested in.<br /><br />David

Archive
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>Leon,<br /><br /> Are you referring to the "Just So" Burkett frankencard that was auctioned off (forget which company) recently, or is this a different card?

Archive
09-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>I searched back on the Mile High threads on what Leon was talking about and found a thread regarding a John Ward card whose bottom came from another card from the set. Ugly thread.

Archive
09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>No, that was obvious...It was the Four Base Hits that had the lower half of an actress card attached to the top half of a baseball card........but lets move on...I need to play nicely.....

Archive
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>so the idea is to encourage people bidding up the prices on individual cards prohibitively high enough as to discourage others from winning the whole set and thereby taking your target card away from you?<br />-or, bidding the set up so high that the sum of the parts could never add up to beat your set bid?<br /><br />okay.....