PDA

View Full Version : T206 PSA "Authentic??" on eBay

Archive
08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam</b><p>This is just frustrating, someone is going to waste good money on a reprint . . . seller is trying to suggest it's "authentic" when PSA has clearly indicated its "authenticity" is in question:<br /><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/5soj2x" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/5soj2x</a><br /><br /><br />

Archive
08-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>Yup, he has two of those fake Cobbs up for auction, a green portrait and a bat on shoulder.

Archive
08-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>Looking at his FB I don't think he is a scam artist. He most likely has no idea what he is doing when it comes to cards. He did the right thing and sent the cards in to be graded. Just does not realize what PSA is trying to say that they are reprint.

Archive
08-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam</b><p>The problem I have is he cites to:<br /><br />"N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more." <br /><br />. . . so he has read the PSA list of "no grade definitions."<br /><br />Did he just miss this one a few spots above the one he cited to???<br /><br />"N-4 Questionable Authenticity - This is the term used when a card is counterfeit."

Archive
08-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>PSA could use a slightly more clear designation than "? AUTHTCT" Sounds like R2D2 sneezing.

Archive
08-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>I don't use PSA, or any grading company for that matter, so maybe I'm a little bit out at sea on this one, but here's the question I have: If that's a genuine PSA flip, and it came back from PSA with that T206 Cobb, how could PSA possibly put a question mark next to the AUTHTCT designation? It's so thoroughly and obviously a reprint. Why not sack up and call a spade a spade?

Archive
08-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>PSA rejected the card, it's just the 'questionable authenticity' wording on the slip is obscure. ? AUTHTCT = questionable authenticity = rejected.

Archive
08-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>True David, but why not just say "inauthentic" or "fake" or "reprint." "Questionable authenticity" is more than obscure (please don't edit out your use of the word obscure quite yet, otherwise my response won't make sense), it's insufficient.

Archive
08-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>I agree with you Anthony.&nbsp; If I were fairly new at vintage baseball collecting (which I am compared to most here) and I were collecting a raw T206 set (which again, I am) I might have been misled by the PSA flip.&nbsp; It almost looks to me like PSA is saying its Authentic but its been Cut.. we think..&nbsp; very confusing and of course the seller leads the buyer into more confusion.&nbsp; </P><P>When I first saw the flip, I thought.. no biggie.. I might purchase an altered Cobb, if it were Authentic.. when I saw the card, I thought - that doesn't look real to me.. the flip did not tell me the card was FAKE.. the WORD FAKE might have but PSA didn't use the word FAKE or REPRINT intead they put - ? AUTHTCT - what does that mean?.. nothing to me, until now.. </P><P>&nbsp;</P><P>martyOgelvie<BR></P>

Archive
08-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Posted By: <b>jdrum</b><p>knows it's a reprint, says so in the description box in the auction listing. Misleading verbiage though.

Archive
08-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>It is not in a holder. They send the card back in the top loader it was sent in.<br /><br /><br />Not rocket science here.<br /><br /><br /><br />Steve