PDA

View Full Version : Raw card preservation

Archive
08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Matthew R</b><p>I am fairly new to collecting, and would like the opinion of the board for raw card preservation. Is the universal consensus screwdowns? I have read that some people have had some problems with the card bending when the screw is tightened too much.<br /><br />I believe there are a couple different kinds of screwdowns recessed, non-recessed, 1-screw, 4-screw. Which combination is best? Do you put your card in a penny sleeve and a toploader before the card is put in a screwdown or does a penny sleeve suffice? So basically what I am asking is how do you protect your raw vintage cards?<br />(note I'm talking about caramels and t-cards)

Archive
08-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason Carota</b><p>I place all raw cards in a penny sleeve, followed by a top loader, then wrap the top loader in a team bag.

Archive
08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I put my raw cards in penny sleeves and then those in top loaders. It works great. I have a few on display in screwdowns but I don't really recommend them due to potentially damaging the card.....

Archive
08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Sleeves and top loaders are the way to go, those two above are telling you correctly.<br /><br /><br />I used to do that... now, some are in sheets in binders. Some are neatly stacked in boxes, loose. And some are in sleeves only, in a box. These last two ways make for better storage in a safety deposit box, they take up less space. I'm not recommending what I'm doing, just telling you what I do. I used screwdowns for a year or so, about 15 to 20 years ago. That is NOT the way to go.<br /><br />Cards need to not be in bright light for extended periods. Don't frame so sunlight can hit them. Don't frame unless you use UV film and glass. The light will bleach your cards to nothing, given time. <br /><br />So if you're not confronted with space crunch, do what Jason and Leon above do. I'd pitch your screwdowns.

Archive
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Anyone prefer semi-rigid card savers to the penny/top loader approach?

Archive
08-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Posted By: <b>MEWheat</b><p>Agree with Leon with one addition. I use penny sleeves, top loaders and then store both graded cards and top loaders in 7.62 mm old metal Army ammo boxes that have a rubber gasket at the top. <br /><br />I am not sure if all army ammo boxes have the gasket, but they hold graded cards perfectly without allowing them to jostle around, and provide some protection from moisture/water. They make a perfect carrying case as well.<br /><br />

Archive
08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>Personally, I've never been a fan of the look of cards when in a penny sleeve and top loader. I've used Card Saver II's (with no penny sleeve) for as long as I can remember with no ill effects, and for me at least, the visual presentation of the cards seems a lot clearer and crisper and the card doesn't jostle around in the holder at all. The top loader with penny sleeve might add a little more physical protection, but if you aren't a complete spaz that shouldn't be an issue. I suppose some might say that chemicals in the plastic will damage the cards, but once again, I'm 30 years into storing my cards this way with no problems whatsoever.