PDA

View Full Version : A question of condition

Archive
08-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Posted By: <b>E, Daniel</b><p>So as I placed my 58' Jimmy Brown amongst his footballing brethren in a display case, I paused to consider the adventure as it slowly closes. I'm maybe a dozen cards away from finishing my collecting focus and am sure there won't be another to follow. No moving to completing sets, or upgrades, just finnito and enjoy the artwork as it hangs. <br />It's my 8th or 9th Brown and one of those cards I've never been completely sold on for eye appeal - never enough to mark as a keeper anyway. Though I've coveted an example I'd be happy with for over 7 years now, 7 years, 8+ potential blisses, and every day for those seven years checking every listing of Jimmy Brown's rookie card to end with the right one....and today he finally finds his place in the display.<br /><br />And that story can be told right across my collection. Some cards which only needed one example bought and brought contentment, other cards like e93 Mattys, Anson cards of various issues, early walter hagen cards (and myriad other vintage or more recent issues), of which I've owned at least 3 or 4 before I could say - yes, I'm happy looking at that card every day for the next 30 years.<br />I only own 1 card of each player I've targeted, have tried not to repeat any issues with an exception for 52 topps Jackie and Mick, and had no set 'grade' that was acceptable - merely what seemed to fit and made my eye happy.<br /><br />And yet I still don't know why I have high grade cards like an sgc86 w514 Jax I paide a couple grand for, sitting next to an e104 Nadja collins in sgc authentic that cost me 80 bucks....and they both make me equally happy? I don't feel the need to upgrade that collins but also couldn't live with a psa7 jimmy brown or countless others because they didn't look right???<br />I don't even know if it's about the player or not. To be honest, growing up on an island far far away and not being immersed in American culture or sports icononography has meant I've only gotten to know most of these sportsmen through their cards.<br /><br /><br />So how much does condition matter to you? What is it about the condition that says "yes, a keeper" when you hold it before you? What card have you upgraded or changed over the most in search of the right one before you've been satisfied - and are there some you wish you never let go of because you sold for financial reasons, when in reality it was the perfect fit in your collection? Do the cards have to be equally rare, equally beautiful, or not equal at all?<br /><br />Look forward to any fellow collector thoughts as I painstakingly fill each last peg in my journey.<br /><br /><br />Daniel<br /><br /><br /><br />All edits for spelling errors

Archive
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>It is the Collection which lives.<br />The cards and sets only serve the Collection, by making it whole.<br />Each gives fulfillment in accordance with its capability.<br />I revel in each's history which is brought to bear, and I study them; speculating about the roads which most have travelled, and those which others have missed. All in preperation for this final joining.<br />A few were selected because of their appearance, more because of their (relatively lack of)costs, some due to their uniqueness. Clearly most simply because they were there, when the time was right.<br />And it continues to grow because it is the endless commemoration of history.

Archive
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>For me, it's a question of how a card makes me "feel". It has to make me feel good. I bought the bulk of my cards -- pre and post war -- several decades ago -- as a kid. Now I'm just an adult (so they say) playing a kid's game with a somewhat looser budget.<br /><br />Then, few placed as much emphasis on condition as they do now. Certainly I wanted cards in nice condition, but I know every blemish and ding on those cards, and it would never occur to me to upgrade. They are like old friends. <br /><br />More recent purchases have to grow on me, and gradually become the same. This is probably why I have a hard time selling or trading. And also why I am not compelled to collect sets. I am relatively close on some sets just because I happened to like many of the individual cards that comprised a certain issue.<br /><br />Maybe that Collins grew on you? Mine have.