PDA

View Full Version : TRIVIA....who K'd Cobb....in 1st pitching appearance ?

Archive
08-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Who struck out the "mighty" Ty Cobb in his very 1st Major League appearance on the mound ?<br /><br />T-Rex TED<br /><br />

Archive
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>walter johnson.

Archive
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I think I remember this from someplace, maybe a thread here.

Archive
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>I don't think it was Johnson.<br /><br />TED Z<br /><br />

Archive
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Hoff" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Hoff</a><br /><br />Hoff made his major league debut on September 6, 1911. Pitching against the Detroit Tigers, he struck out the first batter he faced, Ty Cobb. In later years, Chet recalled that this was the highlight of his career.[1]<br /><br />

Archive
08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>You got it.....Chester "Red" Hoff.....Cobb was the very 1st batter he faced in Detroit, <br />pitching for the NY Highlanders.<br /><br />TED Z<br /><br />

Archive
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Ted,<br /><br />Did you happen to think about that after my mention of Chet earlier in the day?<br /><br />Following his baseball days, Hoff became a prison guard.

Archive
08-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>The T207 thread prompted me to think of Chet Hoff.<br /><br />I'm not surprised, since he lived in Ossining, NY (where Sing-Sing prison was).<br /><br />I sold my T207 set several years ago....but, I kept Chet Hoff's card because he was the oldest living Major Leaguer.<br /><br />TED Z<br /><br /><br />

Archive
08-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Posted By: <b>John J. Grillo</b><p>My understanding is that Cobb always had good success against Johnson. He said Johnson was afraid to "throw at" batters so he (Cobb) would crowd the plate knowing he was going to get an outside pitch.

Archive
08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Of course, it didn't hurt that Cobb and Johnson were on friendly terms. I'm sure most of you are aware of the instances when Johnson would deliberately serve Cobb a slow, fat pitch in the final inning of a late-season game.

Archive
08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>Ted,<br /><br />I grew up in Ossining, not only WAS Sing Sing there back then, but it still IS there to this day. A flourishing maximum security prison that was responsible for the phrase being "sent up the river", the Hudson of course.<br /><br />Rob