PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cracking slabs

Archive
07-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Brandon Brown</b><p>Looking for advice on removing cards from different slabs (PSA,GAI,any besides SGC) without causing any damage to the cards. Never have attempted it before and wanted to get some experienced input on the subject. Thanks in advance guys!<br /><br />Brandon

Archive
07-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Posted By: <b>doug goodman</b><p>I use a rounded kitchen knife on all types of holders. I have cracked opened hundreds of slabs and haven't damaged a card yet, although I cut my thumb once.<br /><br />Doug

Archive
07-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimi</b><p>I use a small screwdriver similar to what you might use to fix your glasses. I generally break the tip off of the slab with a hammer first. It doesn't take much of a hit if you put the tip off of the table. Or sometimes I use large metal shears, something you might cut aluminum with, to cut off a corner. With the screwdriver I then stick it in the new groove I've just made and carefully work around the edges. It shouldn't take long to simply "pop" the slabs off of each other. I've never damaged any cards either. BVG is the toughest to crack, but by using this same method, it still works.<br><br>Jimi

Archive
07-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>Clip a corner with tile nippers and then with a screw driver break a side seam.<br /><br />The slab should at that point open up.<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>I take a pair of needle nose pliers and break off a corner near the label away from the card. Then I just use my fingernail to get between the two slabs and pop the top off much like a draw bridge. Card doesn't move at all. (at least so far)

Archive
07-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Brandon Brown</b><p>I appreciate the advice guys. I was thinking of using a dremel with a cutoff wheel, but your ways seem alot simpler! I will give it a shot on one of my "cheap" cards as a first try!

Archive
07-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>I crack the top left corner with a wrench. Always look away when you do so, so that you don't catch flying plastic with your cornea. You don't need to be careful with the screwdriver you insert when you're at the top of the slab, but as you move down the sides it's a good idea to move your thumb and forefinger down the shaft of the screwdriver, so that you're only able to get about half an inch of the screwdriver into the slab. That way you'll never touch the card.<br /><br />PSA slabs are a breeze. SGC is a little tougher to crack. Never tried a Beckett. I only crack my GAI slabs "next Monday."