PDA

View Full Version : 1910 T206 Ty Cobb Red PSA 5? HELP!!

Archive
07-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Albie G.</b><p>Hello all, <br /> I'm trying to help out a friend of mine who wants to find the true value of a 1910 T206 Ty Cobb Red PSA 5 card in near mint condition. He's interested in selling it but I don't have a clue where to start and he has no clue on how to use a computer, lol! Is there any way I can get some info on it for him and maybe even a way to sell it to someone?<br /> Thanks bunches!!

Archive
07-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>A PSA 5 is considered to be excellent condition, not near mint. Also, the value for T206 can vary depending on the type of back it has, so more information would be helpful.

Archive
07-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Posted By: <b>Eric Brehm</b><p>It is worth about $2000, give or take a few hundred, depending on how nice the card looks for its assigned grade, and as Paul said, whether or not it has an unusual back type (tobacco brand advertising) sought by collectors. PSA's own price guide currently lists the value at $1750.<br /><br />T206 Cobb Red Portrait PSA 5 sells frequently on eBay, about once every other week on average. If you don't have the computer skills or the inclination to sell it yourself, there are many folks in the hobby who will happily list it on eBay for you, and handle all aspects of the transaction with the buyer. You can expect a sales commission rate in the 10% to 15% range for that service.<br /><br />If you are not in a hurry to sell the card, you can also consign it to one of many sports memorabilia auction houses that run auctions periodically during the year. Most offer on-line bidding to their client base and mail out a nice catalog as well. Commission rates are mostly in the 15% to 20% range for that type of consignment.

Archive
07-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Craig W</b><p>From <a href="http://www.t-206.com/pdsearch" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.t-206.com/pdsearch</a><br /><br />Market Price: $1,855.60<br /><br />Last 3 Transactions:<br />2008-07-14: $1,688.00 PSA 5 (EX)<br />2008-07-01: $1,834.99 PSA 5 (EX)<br />2008-06-18: $1,881.02 PSA 5 (EX)

Archive
07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Posted By: <b>JP</b><p>Craig,<br /><br />I used to use T-206.com frequently but did not do so when I just recently won a PSA 5 Red Cobb myself....I'm the $1688 winner. That list you just put up peaked my interest and I've just come to find out that the card I won was the lowest selling PSA 5...ever? There were 100 or so past eBay auction results on T-206 stretching back to the beginng of 2006, and vintagecardprices.com had the last two years of eBay and major auction house results. All of those results were higher than $1688. Which begs the question, why such a bargain? The flip on the Cobb I bought says Piedmont while the back is obviously Sweet Caporal. Why exactly does that give a $200-400 discount, when it only takes a few bucks to get PSA to correct the mitake? It sure had nothing to do with the seller, ROOMN* is just about one of the best eBay sellers around...<br /><br />JP

Archive
07-21-2008, 03:16 AM
Posted By: <b>chiprop</b><p>Maybe cause red portrait Cobb's are too common for the people who are not affected by our crappy economy? Or... All cards in EX holders are not created equal. Anyhow, nice buy!

Archive
07-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>That Cobb may have sold low because:<br /><br />a) economy<br />b) shading on reverse evidence of scrapbook removal<br />c) What appears to be a fairly substantial upper right corner crease<br /><br />See it here:<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310065835328" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310065835328</a><br />

Archive
07-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Your C answer is spot on. If that is what it looks like, in the uppper right hand corner, how in the world did it get a 5 with that crease?

Archive
07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Posted By: <b>JP</b><p>That HAS to be from the scanner...no way would it grade a PSA 5 if that crease existed...ugh. <br /><br />JP

Archive
07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Posted By: <b>chiprop</b><p>I know SGC makes mistakes, but PSA blows!

Archive
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Posted By: <b>ds</b><p>Eye Appeal is everything and that Cobb has some issues. Although I do think it has amazing registration for a red Cobb. It may just be a lower-end 5. Have you considered resumitting to see what happens with the half grade? <br /><br />Prices are volatile for many key cards which is probably more a reflection of the broader economy and not the prices realized on t-206.com, which is just the messenger.<br /><br />I invite you to look at the prices realized for key cards in the t206 set to see if there are any patterns emerging...<br /><br />What do you guys think? Is the card market fluctuating as a result of the broader economy, or are these just normal gyrations for the variation in eye appeal and quality of the cards in the marketplace?<br /><br />ds<br /><br />