PDA

View Full Version : Help with package to APO/FPO overseas?

Archive
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p><br />I had someone purchase a card through ebay and when I looked this morning noticed it is zip code 09173. From what I can tell it's in Europe somewhere. Has anybody sent a card to a military personel before and is there anything different I need to do as far as packaging or filling something out to get it to him overseas? I had free shipping on the card in the US, obviously woudln't dream of asking the guy if he is in the military to pay anything extra. I just want to make sure I get it to him correctly. Not sure if a package like this (a size 0 6x9 or whatever with a card in it) would hit some customs area and be delayed or what??? <br /><br />Thanks ahead for anyone that has done this-<br /><br />Dave

Archive
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>I would ask the buyer if he/she would rather have the item shipped to a friend or relative living Stateside. If they are presently fighting the good fight, they likely have no need for the card where they are. If they are not fighting, by all means, send the card regular mail; it should arrive safely and without issue.

Archive
07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert Klevens</b><p>It doesn't cost extra to send to a APO/FPO address. It is the same as domestic mail. If you need a customs form they will give it to you at the post office.

Archive
07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Dawson</b><p>As a military guy myself, I received many packages while stationed overseas; all with no problem. All you're doing as the seller is shipping the item to New York...the military postal system takes it from there for no additional charge.<br /><br />I checked the ZIP code in your post, and it's in Germany; so I don't believe the buyer is currently in SW Asia. If he is though, he would be probably returning to his permanent post in Germany when he's completed his tour in the desert.<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>you should have no problems sending cards to APO/FPO - I work at an Air Force base and letters and packages are sent Airmail on a military aircraft most of the time.<br /><br />Jimmy

Archive
07-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Posted By: <b>paulstratton</b><p>This may sound strange but I often carried my red Cobb on me. Luckily neither of us got creased, though we did suffer some edge wear and discoloration.<br /><br /> <br /><br />

Archive
07-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Joseph Shirley</b><p>I have never had a problem with shipping to APO/FPO addresses. I treat them just like any domestic shipment, and the results are always the same. I do not believe customs is involved with those addresses, as I have never had to fill that form out for them.

Archive
07-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p><br />thanks for the responses guys. as I understand it i guess everything is relatively the same and I can even include insurance for the same rates. i wasn't sure with it going overseas, but I guess the package never actually leaves the u.s. government's hands.