PDA

View Full Version : Creating a comprehensive HOF list

Archive
06-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimi</b><p>Well, being a teacher does have its ups! Summer is here and I am wanting to start a project that I have intended to do for a few years, but I wanted some feedback before this goes any further. I know Brett Domue did a fantastic job with his HOF index of cards, but it seems he hasn't had the time to keep it updated. I'm looking at creating a comprehensive list of all the HOFers whether they were inducted in 1936 or 2008. I don't think I'll get too in depth with guys like Kirby Puckett or Ryne Sandberg, but I've always wanted a to work out of a website that listed EVERYTHING out there for ALL HOFers. Soooooooooooo.....before I begin this project I want to know:<br /><br />1) Is there already a website out there that has this?<br /><br />2) Would I be wasting my time?<br /><br />3) If I do start this project, what would you guys/gals like to see it include? Pictures? <br /><br />4) Which resources should I go to? Who do I talk to first?<br /><br />5) Should we just add to what Brett has already done? add variations....backs....etc.<br /><br />6) Anything else?<br /><br /><br /><br /><br><br>Jimi

Archive
06-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>Jimi:<br /><br />I published a reference book on a very small scale a couple of years ago which basically checklisted all early-to-mid-career "cards" for most members of the BB HOF. The way I approached it was to contact Bob Lemke, editor at the time of the Standard Card Catalogue, and ask for his permission to use the information found in his catalogue. Then I started with page 1 of Lemke's catalogue and worked my way from A-Z of the vintage card sets section (pre-1981) along with creating a master list of each BB HOF member and every time a player appeared in a set, I listed the set information on that player's "checklist". When I had completed all vintage sets in the catalogue, I then sorted the cards listed for each player by earliest year of issue first and basically that's how I compiled my information. Unfortunately, I only have my owner's copy of the book remaining and I no longer have the reference sheets that I used to compile the information. However, I would be happy to assist you in any capacity as I am a big-time BB HOF RC collector and would like to promote this type of collecting to more enthusiasts.

Archive
06-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimi</b><p>Phil,<br /><br />I think that's great, Phil! Is there a way I can obtain a copy of your book? I'd love to see it. Your method of organizing the HOFers is the same way I was planning on categorizing everything. My wife even volunteered to type while I read off names! I should take advantage of that, right?<br /><br />I thought I would put all of this info on my website for all to view as I completed certain stages of this task. I think pictures would be great especially if there were other people in N54 that would be willing to donate some of their scans, especially of the rare-types.<br><br>Jimi