PDA

View Full Version : SGC labeling question

Archive
06-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>If SGC Holders a card Authentic because it was deemed to be trimmed or althered someother way, do they add the words ALTERED to the label?</P><P>This <A href="http://tinyurl.com/68ky4t">Joe Jackson Craker Jack </A>card is advertised as unaltered yet its in a Authentic holder and it looks stunning to me.&nbsp; Why would some one request a card to be holdered authentic unless he knew for sure it was altered?</P><br><br>martyOgelvie<br />nyyankeecards.com

Archive
06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark T</b><p>looks like that Joe Jackson is a trim to me. There are many reasons for a AUT.<br /><br />A T204 Square Frame i once owned had a very small piece of tape on back holding a heavy crease and SGC deemed it AUT because of that tape.

Archive
06-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Posted By: <b>jim</b><p>I have a few SGC authentic, all are trimmed. The holders do not say "trimmed". I haven't seen any that said "altered" either, but I have seen both "trimmed" and "altered" on PSA holders. Hope that helps

Archive
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>My GUESS is bleached. E145's are often found bleached to remove stains.<br />very strange that the original owner wanted it graded "A", Im sure it has a problem, and Id treat it as if it were recolored (or bleached) or trimmed IMO<br /><br />Still a nice looking card for the $$

Archive
06-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Martin Neal</b><p>An authentic SGC graded card can also be a card that SGC deems to be too small to holder.

Archive
06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Right edge appears wavy.

Archive
06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Looks bleached to me, but I am not an expert on that topic. It is still a beautiful card!!!<br />JimB

Archive
06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>this jax has passed through a few hands since mike wheat acquired it as part of a complete set a few years ago. a couple board members have first-hand knowledge of the card if they want to chime in.

Archive
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Eric Brehm</b><p>As far as I can tell all of the grading companies have become more specific about identifying card alterations on their holders. Perhaps they have become more sensitive about the problem lately, and so want to remove any ambiguity there might be about their assessment in these cases. So whereas in the past they simply labelled a card as "Authentic," they now also include words such as "Altered" or "Trimmed" as well.

Archive
06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>nm

Archive
06-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Glyn</b><p>We currently do not include the reason for a card getting an A on the holder. We do have people occasionally submit unaltered cards and ask for an A designation. I do not know why this Jackson only received an A as we currently dont keep records of such things. Any questions please feel free to give a call 1-800-sgc-9212.<br />Thank You,<br /> Glyn Parson

Archive
06-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>Thanks for chiming in Glyn.&nbsp; </P><P>I could see requesting Authentic as a minimum grade on cards that I knew or suspected were altered but I can see no reason for Authentic preference over a numerical grade.&nbsp; To each his own, I guess.</P><br><br>martyOgelvie<br />nyyankeecards.com

Archive
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>i dont like the corner...it looks like someone tried to open it at one point...but if i had the $, my bid would be in

Archive
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>because you want it to:<br />1) look and match the rest of your slabbed collection<br />or<br />2) just want it to be slabbed as AUTH to prove that the card is authentic and not a reprint. I would imagine selling an unholdered Joe Jax is alot more difficult as a raw card...<br />maybe?

Archive
06-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>The seller has added to the listing in an attempt to clarify that he is not stating that this is a 2 trapped in the body of an A.

Archive
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>congrats DK...my snipe was $100 short of the final price but you probably put in a much higher bid. that was a nice card.

Archive
06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>I originally bought this card from Mike WHeat for 4500.00, I traded a few Cobbs and 2k if I remember correctly. I sent this card in and it had some recoloring .I called Mike Wheat and he gave me one of my CObbs back because. This was very nice of Mike WHeat and after trading ALL 7 of my JAx CJ's i had to get at least this one back of my regrets of trading. This was not in my budget , but thankfully i have 8k sold in miscellaneos cards and a trade for a very rare Sam Crawford portrait Nadja or no way i could get this card. Very happy to have it.<br /><br />Thanks !

Archive
06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Dan - so the story about the submitter asking SGC to grade it as Authentic instead of numerically was bogus? <br />

Archive
06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>it is possible that the cards changed hands 2-3 times. Even so I dont speak for others or get into male bonding or drama.

Archive
06-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>dan like i said it was too quiet in michigan when this thread was first brought up, i knew you were hiding in the weeds practicing ur hungarian shoulder lock on the card. i know u've been looking for a nice cj jax in awhile...when ur ready to get rid of ur 8th cj jax maybe i'll have something to offer for it.

Archive
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>while I appreciate the REAL DK acknowledgement (cause Kravitz is jealous of Koteles)I didnt want to drive the price up and I put a hefty bid at the last minute.<br /><br />taker easy

Archive
06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Maybe someone can help me understand why the card at the top if this thread ended for less then $3500, yet this trimmed one, is almost at $10k?<br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1915-CRACKER-JACK-JOE-JACKSON-103-GRADED-SGC_W0QQitemZ140239842880" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/1915-CRACKER-JACK-JOE-JACKSON-103-GRADED-SGC_W0QQitemZ140239842880</a>

Archive
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>this card was bought really high in a hunt auction, so maybe the winner(?) then is trying to bring the market up to the price he bought it for...

Archive
06-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Posted By: <b>James Gallo</b><p>Why the heck is the reserve no met. The card looks great yes, I don't mind trimmed cards at the right price but RNM and almost at 10K.<br /><br />Was it bought in Hunt as raw or already in the SGC holder.<br /><br />Damn that is just nuts.<br /><br />James G<br><br>Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Archive
06-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Actually, the serial on the one I posted above matches the one that sold in last September's Clean Sweep auction for about $5k. I don't get it.

Archive
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>ur right matt...i was assuming this is the same card that sold in mastro for 14.4k, but it's a diff SGC A.