PDA

View Full Version : will the real Hal Chase please stand up?

Archive
06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Shawn Chambers</b><p>Hey guys,<br /><br />Slightly off topic, but I have seen Hal's name listed in several places as "Harold Harris Chase", but usually as "Harold Homer Chase". I could have sworn in the NY Times archive I found the Harris Chase reference name associated with his wedding, but couldn't lay my hands on it tonight. Anybody know the story of the duality?<br /><br />Shawn<br /><br />

Archive
06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>I have not seen Harris used before but I have not done a ton of research on Chase.. </P><P>I just quickly went to ancesty.com and found a WWII Draft Card for him. He was 59 and registering for the draft?? its true.</P><P>Anyway, he filled out the draft card by hand and wrote&nbsp; HAL HOMER CHASE</P><P>&nbsp;</P><br><br>martyOgelvie<br />nyyankeecards.com

Archive
06-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>I found 2 mentions of Harold Harris Chase;</P><P>1 was from the website chaseplace.iwarp.com which is a very nice site about the former player..</P><P>"Harold Harris Chase was <A href="">born in Los Gatos, California</A> on February 13, 1883; the youngest of six children. "</P><P>The 2nd is a book;<BR>» Chase, Harold Harris "Hal," "Prince Hal" by King, Joseph E. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>Book Section from Biographical Dictionary of American Sports: Baseball -- p. 89, 2 page(s) <BR>New York: Greenwood Press, 1987 <BR>Stats: Player Career Stats, Bio Stats Photos: n <BR>Bibliography? y Footnotes/Sourcenotes? n <BR>Named people: Hal Chase <BR>Topics: Biographies; Gambling; Controversies </P><P>Perhaps Hal did not like the name Harris and opted to use Homer instead... Homer Simpson would be proud, not sure any one else would...</P><br><br>martyOgelvie<br />nyyankeecards.com

Archive
06-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>maybe he liked to include Homer in his name, as a fun, self-aggrandizing nickame...?<br />