PDA

View Full Version : Help with Plow's Candy E300 Eddie Plank

Archive
05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Preece1</b><p>For several years the number in the Plow's candy set was 69 when the Eddie Plank card was added in 2005 to make the current set 70.<br /><br />The Plank card I presented in 2005 was given to me by my uncle, Don Schlaff. He acquired the card back in the 1970s and from the limited research he could do, believed that it was what he termed a "chase card" (i.e. purposely limited to force kids to buy the candy to complete the set). My uncle has a very limited recollection of the facts surrounding the card now, and I have not been able to track down any information to back up his theory. <br /><br />Does anyone know any more information about the Plow set and if there was indeed a chase card.

Archive
05-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I do not have the information you seek but I can tell you that I do like the hypothesis you have offered here.

Archive
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>Since the cards are not numbered, how would a kid back then know he was "missing" Plank? There's no mention (on the cards) of a prize or prizes for completing a set, or finding specific cards. Perhaps there was some sort of posting at the candy counter.

Archive
05-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Lyman</b><p>Hi Patrick. Good to hear from you.<br /><br />Bob has a good point. Also, considering the dearth of any players from the Plow's Candy set, it seems that all of the player could be considered "chase" cards--at least from the perspective of today's collectors.<br /><br />BTW, as found on the Old Cardboard website, I am only aware of 68 (not 70) cards in the Plow's Candy checklist (see <a href="http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e2/e300/e300list.asp" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e2/e300/e300list.asp</a>). Our list is derived from several sources and I believe it to be complete. If you (or anyone) can add any new players, please let me know and we will update the checklilst right away.<br /><br />All the best,<br />Lyman

Archive
05-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Preece1</b><p>The only thing I can think of that would support a "chase" card theory since they were not numbered would be the availability of a checklist at the point of sale. Since this has never been located/found, I guess we will never know.<br /><br />Thanks for the comments.

Capsim
12-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Do you still have the PLOWS Plank card?

gnaz01
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Wow! A 5 1/2 year revival