PDA

View Full Version : Something new to talk about - Vintage cards W553 steal!

Archive
05-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I had a $1500 snipe but 2 others saw this treasure. It looks like W553's in their original strips still!! Very very cool and I should have gone higher!! Ugh!<p><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310049925995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310049925995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021</a>

Archive
05-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>It's funny, Dan - I was watching that item and it was hovering at $80 yesterday. I did not notice the W553s, but didn't put in a snipe. When I saw the ending price this morning, I clicked the link to see what I missed, and all the photos were gone. I figured I must have missed something inside the book, but since the photos were gone this morning I couldn't look.<br /><br />Nice job, whoever got this.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
05-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>i'm not familiar w/w553's...anyone have a pic to post?<br />

Archive
05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>Nice item, back in the day that was a favorite pastime for people to do. <br /><br />My elderly (94 yrs old when he died)cousin made up about 6 such scrapbooks from newspapers.<br /><br />Sadly for me he didn't include any baseball cards in them.<br /><br />They do include many of the events of the day though.<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>well turds! he took the photos down. There were 4 or 5 ina a strip top to bottom on both the left and right side of a page and Gehrig and Ruth together in the middle. They looked sharp so some grading fanatic will probably score big on them. I have never seen these in their strip form before, it will be a shame to cut them down. Visit www.oldcardboard.com to see a picture of one. Dan.

Archive
05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Dan - I had on it my watch list as well and thought I would get it for a snipe of $710. Needless to say, my snipe never got placed!

Archive
05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Iggy</b><p>Hello Dan, I'm not a grading fanatic nor a turd (since I'm assuming you mean everybody else on this thread). I would not have the heart to cut them, so don't worry about that. Now, if I had found them in 1929....that is a different story.... I would have cut them into individual strips in a heart beat and sent them off to SGC for grading. But alas, it is not 1929 anymore... <br /><br />Lovely Day...

Archive
05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Congrats Iggy, can you post the scan of them if you have it? Or when you get them. Would a $2K snipe have made a difference? That is what I was originally going to do. And wait a minute, I didn't call anyone a turd, I just yelled the word turds! cause the pictures were down. Glad you won't be cutting them, thanks Dan.

Archive
05-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Iggy</b><p>$2K would have blown me away. I'm a small fish in a shark invested pond that somehow got lucky. My top bid was $1850. I will post a pic once I get them. By the way, the seller was also blown away. He was thinking the scrapbook would sell for $100, perhaps $150 on a good day. I got the impression he thought I was nuts.<br /><br />Lovely Day...

Archive
05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Iggy, we are both nuts and $2K was out of my range as well, I was just curious! Great score and I am very glad it went to someone that will appreciate it and not a slabhead. Dan.

Archive
05-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Iggy...</b><p>By the way, here is how I arrived at the $1850 figure. I normally use very conservative numbers (or at least I always convince myself that I do...) but this was my reasoning for the bid. In the pictures that were shown, you had ten W553 (all ten hall-of-famers and they appeared in great shape (cross my fingers), in addition another pic had six Goudey cards but five of them were HOF (Lazzeri, Pennock, P Waner, (Lefty) O'Doul, and Frisch) <br /><br />Thus....<br /><br />10 (W553) @ $150 each = $1500<br />6 (Goudey cards (PSA 2 or 3 on the HOF's)) = $250<br />That equals $1750 <br /><br />I added an extra $100 because it contained a Gehrig and Ruth, plus the fact that the W553's were uncut, plus the auction only showed a few pics of the book (until I get the scrapbook, I can dream of a couple more strip cards). Hence, to me $1850 was a conservative number, and 2K is still very reasonable. The reality is nice W553's sell for alot more then $150, especially when they are named Ruth and Gehrig. One last note, initially I wanted this thread to die a quick death. But I guess my emotions are getting the best of me, since I seem to be the one who is its biggest booster.<br /><br />Lovely Day...