PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monbouquette fights on

Archive
05-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Ron</b><p>I just saw this from the Boston Globe, and I truely hope Monbo wins his fight but it also shows the there is a huge difference in the players of yesterday and today......<br /><br /><a href="http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/05/16/monbo_fights_on/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/05/16/monbo_fights_on/</a><br /><br /><br />Ron

Archive
05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Posted By: <b>john w</b><p>Ron,<br /><br />Best wished to Bill Monbouquette - what are the obvious differences to which you refer of the players of the 1960s and today??<br /><br /><br />edited to add: One obvious difference is the money which the owners are now willing to pay to them.

Archive
05-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Posted By: <b>CoreyRS.hanus</b><p>Great article. Thanks for posting. I remember him well and wish him the best in his fight.<br><br>

Archive
05-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I distinctly remember his no hitter, which is timely since Jon Lester pitched one for the Red Sox last night.

Archive
05-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>I just talked with Bill Monbouquette a few months ago at a show, he is very active in the hoby. I really wish him the best<br /><br />Jimmy

Archive
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>I had a chance to hit against Monbo in June of 1960 in Fenway, during territorial draft tryouts. He groved a few that I hit well including 2 off the wall and 1 into the left field screen. After that he looked over at the coach running the tryouts and the coach nodded to Monbo. The next and last pitch that I saw was a curveball that started at my head and I watched cross the plate from my A**. Unbelievable to this day! In addition to his no hitter, Monbo had 2 17 strikeout games, unfortunately he spent most of his years with the Sox on really bad teams. Several guys from that tryout made it to the bigs, Wilber Wood, Pete Smith, Butch Reniack. I hope Monbo can get the best possible treatment and find a matching donor.

Archive
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>Hope he finds a match. <br /><br />This part of the article cracked me up:<br /><br />Monbouquette remembers the exact date of his no-hitter (one walk) against the Chicago White Sox and Early Wynn.<br /><br />"It was Aug 1, 1962. I had [Hall of Famer Luis] Aparicio, 0 and 2, and threw him a slider off the plate. He tried to hold up and I thought he went all the way. The umpire, Bill McKinley, called it a ball, and as I was getting the ball back from the catcher, someone shouted from the stands, 'They shot the wrong McKinley.' I had to back off the mound because I had a little chuckle to myself. The next pitch, I threw him another slider and he swung and missed. They say white men can't jump, but I did. It's about the biggest thrill I ever had."<br /><br><br>Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Archive
05-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Peich</b><p>Peter--I remember well the evening at last year's National when you told us the story of your tryout against Monbouquette. I'm glad you retold it for the entire Board, and like you I hope he wins this difficult fight.<br /><br />Cheers, Mike