PDA

View Full Version : 1940 Play Ball with Superman Gum backs

Archive
05-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul Carek</b><p>Didn't know anything about this variation until I read about it in the recent REA catalog. Checked my (only two) '40 Play Balls, and see that my Foxx card has Superman Gum promo copy. How rare is this, and how much (if at all) does it affect value? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Archive
05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Posted By: <b>James Gallo</b><p>I read the REA listing and then looked at the Joe Jacksons they had and they too have superman ads on the bottom, although they were different.<br /><br />I don't know alot about this set but it sounds interesting.<br /><br />Anyone out there have any further ideas?<br /><br />James G<br><br>Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Archive
05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Rhett Yeakley</b><p>From what I understand is that all high # cards (including Joe Jackson) will always have the Superman ad on back, there are a couple different taglines but all the high #'s will have a Superman ad. The variation that REA is talking about is only found on cards #123-180 (The Mid-#'s of the set), these cards can be found with the conventional baseball ad on bottom or the Superman ad. <br /><br />I had not really noticed that they were all that much harder to find than the regular baseball ad back (but you do see less of the Supermans), but admittedly I have never tried to make a set of them either.<br /><br />-Rhett