PDA

View Full Version : Just So Burkett in Memory Lane Auction

Archive
05-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>I was high bidder on this card throughout much of the auction and went up to about $7,500 last night before finally letting it go. Final price w/juice was $10K. <br /><br />Does that seem like a pretty good bargain for a 1/1 HOF RC even though the card was altered/restored but still authenticated in a PSA holder? <br /><br />Also, my guess is that 99.99% of any cards under these circumstances would never be encapsulated by PSA or SGC. Do you think an exception should be made because of the rarity of this card or possibly because of who the owner was when it was encapsulated by PSA?

Archive
05-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>"Also, my guess is that 99.99% of any cards under these circumstances would never be encapsulated by PSA or SGC."<br /><br />I don't think SGC would ever encapsulate this card (or one with this much alteration), but I believe PSA will encapsulate even pieces of an authentic card.

Archive
05-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Phil- I never really liked that card, and don't think it was a bargain. I don't even consider it a real baseball card. I think the restoration is beyond what can be deemed acceptable. And based on the number of times it has changed hands, it seems that its many owners have lost interest in it in a rather short period of time.<br /><br />I liked it better before it was restored. Others may feel differently.

Archive
05-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>FrankenCard...Part man, part woman.

Archive
05-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>= Hermaphrodite card. <br><br>Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Archive
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>This same card has sold in two other auctions within the last couple of years. Both times, it went for about the same price, so it seems like the market value is pretty much set.

Archive
05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>george &quot;bulldog&quot; adams</b><p>113k for a 52 mantle psa 8 in this auction. bulldog

Archive
05-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Wesley</b><p>I did not bid on the Burkett card, but I am surprise how little the card has been selling for. There is no question the photo is from the Just So Burkett and I think of the Just So nonsport backing as a frame for the photo. If rookie collectors or hall of fame collectors are not happy with the level of alteration done to the card, then they can always go for a card like the Ramly which was produced eighteen years later instead.

Archive
05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>Wes:<br /><br />You hit the nail right on the head. I have been making due for a few years with the Ramly Burkett but am pondering the idea of trying to pick up the Just So, even with the alterations.

Archive
05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Cat</b><p>Although to call the restoration "extensive" would be an understatement, the outcome was a beautiful card. I think Andy B did the right thing by having the work done in this manner. <br /><br />If you want to have the card for the purpose of looking at it for hours on end, then I think the card is for you. It presents very well.<br /><br />If you want the card for the addition to your collection because you like unaltered, gradeable cards, without a myriad of issues, then it's probably not for you. I suppose most hardcore card collectors, like the people on this board, would pass on it.

Archive
05-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>If I were a die hard rookie collector (as I once was) I would consider this card. It has a lot of restoration though so it certainly wouldn't be a slam dunk to pay 10k for it.....but I have done crazier things....

Archive
05-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I liked the card better before it was restored.<br /><br />It's unfortunate it was trimmed, but there is nothing you can do about that. Merging it with another card didn't make it better.