PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Fine Pens, Wide Pens, R311s and R312s

Archive
04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Chris Counts</b><p>Does anybody know how the 1936 Fine Pens, Wide Pens, R311s and R312s were distributed? Did collectors send away for them? Or were they available at the stores that sold the Goudey and National Chicle cards (Diamond Stars & Batter-Ups)?

Archive
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>This is what I reported in my Old Cardboard article (from previous hobby discussion involving collectors who were kids in the 1930s)-- <br /><br />R313 and R314 were sent to stores and then given away by the storekeepers to customers who purchased packs of gum. <br /><br />This in-store method of distribution probably explains why R313 and R314A are relatively plentiful, as opposed to sets that required the consumer to take the trouble of mailing in wrappers. <br />_____________________________________________<br /><br />At one point I wondered whether they might also have been mailed directly to the customers from the companies, but I concluded that if so, we would now have plenty of envelopes around, given how common the cards are. But I've never seen a single one. <br />_____________________________________________<br /><br />As far as the other sets are concerned, I can't offer much. My guess on R311 is that they were also given out directly to customers in the stores. <br /><br />R312 I have no idea. <br /><br /><br />