PDA

View Full Version : Auction House Competition...

Archive
04-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>This may be a statement of the obvious but why does Mastro's choose to run their big auction to run during REA's once a year auction?<br /><br />Is this friendly competition or are they trying to undercut a competitor by siphoning off collector dollars?<br /><br />If Robert Edwards only goes once a year and gives plenty of notice, it just seems odd to me that Mastro's would decide to run at the exact same time.<br /><br />Maybe there is some history here that I am not aware of?

Archive
04-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Perhaps it has to do with it being close to tax-refund season. If this is when people have extra income to spend, then it explains why there would be multiple auctions scheduled now.

Archive
04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob D.</b><p>The following are dates listed for Mastro auctions in 2008 (posted on its Web site). These are a mix of premier, live and the smaller "Classic" auctions. My guess is that because they schedule this many auctions in a calendar year -- coupled with an attitude of "We're not going to change our date, let <i>them</i> change" that both auction houses likely have -- I think you'll always see an overlap. <br /><br />Feb. 27-28<br /><br />April 14-May 1<br /><br />June 25-26<br /><br />July 21-Aug. 1<br /><br />Aug. 11-28<br /><br />Aug. 11-30<br /><br />Oct. 29-30<br /><br />Dec. 1-18

Archive
04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There is definitely some serious competition between them...and I've got to follow them both. How do you think I feel? The competition in the auction business is fierce.

Archive
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Barry -<br />The auction competition business might be fierce but your's has it's own qualities<br />that in my opinion make it just as good. No offense to Mastro & REA, they both run<br />quality auctions, but I'd much rather deal with you on a personal level.<br /><p>Tony

Archive
04-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>barry<br />when will the preview be up? care to share some highlights?

Archive
04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Barry is like the neighborhood hardware store. Excellent products with great, personal service. But it's hard to compete with Home Depot & Lowes. So please support Barry !!!

Archive
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I appreciate everyone's support but I am a niche auction and to see what these two behemoths have, well it can be tough.<br /><br />A number of people have asked me for a preview and I'm not sure somebody else's thread is the right place, but perhaps later today I'll start one. I don't go up for bidding until April 24 so it's still early.