PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the T210 Experts

Archive
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Does anyone know the first name of series 4 Waldron w/Montgomery?<br /><br />Is it Irving?

Archive
04-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>Dan,<br /><br />According to this fantastic sabr database, your Waldron is not Irv, who never played for Montgomery. Unfortunately the Montgomery player is the one whose first name is unknown<br /><br /><a href="http://minors.sabrwebs.com/cgi-bin/player_search.php?nameLast=waldron" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://minors.sabrwebs.com/cgi-bin/player_search.php?nameLast=waldron</a><br /><br />Sorry about that--<br /><br />Tim

Archive
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Hufford</b><p>The player with Montgomery (Virginia Valley League)in T210 is Mike T. Waldron. He was born on July 25, 1887 (1900 census)or 1888 (WWI draft registration) near Hansford, in the Cabin Creek area of Kanawha County, WV. <br /><br />In the 1910 US Census, he lived there with his wife, the former Kathleen Brannon, and two sons, Joseph and (Michael) Edward. His occupation was listed as "Ball Player - Baseball."<br /><br />In the WWI Draft Registration (June 1917), Mike listed his occupation as "pool room and confectionary", and he listed that he had a paralyzed right arm.<br /><br />Kathleen is listed in the 1920 census as a widow, with five children, the last born about 1917, so Mike the ballplayer must have died between 1917 and 1920. Their son, Michael Edward Waldron, died in Charleston, WV in 1951, and is buried in Sunset Memorial Park in Charleston - the same cemetery as 1927-28 Braves pitcher Guy Morrison.

Archive
04-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Thanks for the info guys. I can scratch that one off my list.<br /><br />The SABR database is excellent, but I have found numerous examples where they do not have first names of players that I have the information for. I am gathering that info and will send it to the minor league committee when I am finished with my research. As an example through old newspaper articles I have found that Matty McIntyre played for Lincoln (Western League) in 1915 - The database does not have a first name for McIntyre. I would guess that so far I have first names for about 50% of the players they do not for all the Lincoln clubs from 1906-1917. I know that a lot of people are working hard to make this database as complete as possible so anyone with information not found there should make the effort to send it to them.