PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Magazine premiums

Archive
04-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Todd</b><p>Hi,<br /><br />Does anyone know of a checklist for the Baseball Magazine photos? OC just says that there are ~200 photos in the 1918-1958 series, but I'd bet it's far more than that. If they were issued for 40 years, 200 would only be 5 per year--not a likely scenario. I'd say that 2,000 would be more like it.<br /><br />They were premiums rather than inserts, so I imagine each one would have been available for some time; any ideas about how long? In other words, how closely can you date a particular item? You might be able to fix an earliest date by checking the player/team combination, but could you identify an end date? The ones I see are usually described as "1930s" etc.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Bill

Archive
04-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>There is a checklist in the SCD bible. From what I gather, each one was available for a year, with some players reprinted in later years in different poses. In theory, if you had a visual checklist, you would be able to know exactly what year it was issued in due to the unique pose. According to SCD they were issued from 1910 through 1957 and, while the number was variable, it looks like, on average, about 20 each year.

Archive
04-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>Matthew is correct. They are in the SCD under Baseball Magazine Posters.<br /><br />I collect them and have many posted on my PhotoBucket site. Take a look:<br /><br /><a href="http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/Paper%20and%20Supplements/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/Paper%20and%20Supplements/</a>

Archive
04-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>can you check and let me know if there is a premium issued of Lee Handley?<br />Thanks in advance!<br />Jason<br />

Archive
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I checked between '36 and '48 and he is not on the checklist in SCD.

Archive
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I didn't think so, but never formally checked that series before.<br />He did have an inside front cover photo in one issue, which I have a couple of...very nice. Love the language of that day...they refer to him as a "little pepper pot"<br /><br />thanks again

Archive
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Todd</b><p>Thanks, guys. I'll see if they're in my ancient volumes. If not, I might have to spring for a new book.<br /><br />Bill