PDA

View Full Version : 1941 W754 St Louis Cardinals Team Issue

Archive
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Greetings all, is anyone familiar with the 1941 W754 ST Louis Cardinals Team Issue set? I am wondering what the scarcity is. Any info on the set would be appreciated. I could not find the set on oldcardboard.com<br />Thanks<br />

Archive
03-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>They are not terribly scarce. Once in a while, you'll even find a complete set for sale. If you're looking for a type card, you shouldn't have much trouble at all. Steve Verkman may still have some. <br /><br />But some individual players can be difficult. The set includes the first cards of HOFer's Johnny Mize and Enos Slaughter (some would describe the R312 as Mize's first card, others say it's not a card). It also includes Billy Southworth's first card as a major league manager, and what may be Branch Rickey's only card as an executive. These cards are popular and don't come up for sale too frequently.

Archive
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony</b><p>Agreed with Paul- they come up a few times a year as a complete set (including the one this morning that went for a bit over $1500.) As it includes one of the few cards of Branch Rickey (and now Southworth) it's pretty sought after my HOF collectors. <br /> The Browns set issued at the same time typically sells for considerably less. The Reds Harry Hartman set seems to fall in between the two. It's fairly common to find all of them in higher grade.

Archive
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Hello guys. Thanks for the posts. I did not realize Southworth was even in the HOF. Also, two more notabales include Johnny Mize & Enos Slaughter rookies. The set is very interesting.<br />

Archive
03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Evans</b><p>The set also includes the only (I believe) vintage card of Sam Nahem, who is of interest to collectors of Jewish ballplayers. Mark

Archive
03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>The set has nice cards of Terry Moore, and of Bill Crouch. Neither are on all that many cards.<br /><br />I recall not buying a set with a box for $125... thought it too much to pay, years ago. A couple of years later I began regretting my frugality. Wish I'd bought it, now.